full PLE mod for BUG

I'm not really sure. That was the one logic error I made when plugging in the options (wrong boolean option for an integer calculation). The other possibilities were accessing the options inside a tight loop. I doubt this could be it because it was looping over only a few units, and it was a huge slowdown.

The game hung for 20 seconds while loading, and clicking any stack (1-5 units) I could detect a 1-2 second pause. That seems too large for such a small loop, so I'm betting on the int / boolean. The odd thing is that the boolean was True, so it wasn't even a divide by zero exception. I'm just glad it's fixed, as I really didn't want to back out all that work!

Crisis averted. Apparently Python has a severe aversion to dividing an integer by a boolean. ;)

Silly language.

Obviously,

n/true -> true (for n <> 0)
0/true -> false, and
n/false -> false.

Nothing else makes any sense at all.

I just upgraded to the new BUG mod version and I LOVE it so thanks a lot for making it!

But I could not figure out how to disable/turn off the little unit filter buttons at the bottom of the interface. (part of the PLE mod?) I tried clicking on/off each of the available options in the BUG options menu but the buttons just won't go away! Is there a way to do this from the .ini file?

The way PLE is set up now, it's part of the MainInterface.py file. To make it 100% optional we'll need to do give it is own file that's imported into the interface file. That will take some time. We felt the new features we added were worth not having PLE 100% optional.

Is there any way to comment out some rows in CivMainInterface.py so I can make at least hide the buttons? I have a Python editor and have done some minor edits before.

I did get that to work - a little bit trick, select a unit, hover over it and press and hold the ALT key (or some combination of that).

IIRC, you have to press and hold TAB before you hover. Hovering and then pressing TAB does nothing. Of course, IIRI, well, I'm just wrong. ;)

I had a little time today, so I completed some work on PLE I had started earlier.

• Added default view and group modes, applied when starting Civ. Changing the option in-game takes effect next time you start Civ, and changing via the buttons on the main interface doesn't change the setting.
  • Added Filter Behavior (PLE vs. BUG) option. BUG behavior is more intuitive IMHO.*
  • Added missing checkbox for GG indicator to options screen.
* Here's how the BUG filter behavior works:

1. Start seeing all units, no filters selected.
  2. Click the "wounded" filter -> only wounded units are displayed.
  3. Click the "healthy" filter -> "wounded" filter is deselected, and only healthy units are displayed.
  4. Click the "healthy" filter again -> back to normal, no filters selected.
If that sounds confusing, try it out -- it's clearer if you just play with it. Now you click a filter button to see only the units that match the filter, and only one filter in a related group can be selected at a time. It made no sense to be able to filter out both wounded and healthy units, leaving no units displayed.

Now the big question: What more options do we really need? Here are some from past discussions:

• Disable PLE entirely
  • Disable filtering, hide filter buttons (view and group buttons remain)
  • Hide all buttons, but keep PLE active
  • Use normal BtS hover info pane instead of PLE's

I've added an option to show/hide all of the PLE buttons together in the PlotList options tab. This does not disable PLE; it just hides the tiny new buttons in the main interface.

Is it okay if the hover text says, "Read the BUG help file"? ;)

Are you referring to the publisher file in my bugmod folder? It is blank.

Are you referring to the publisher file in my bugmod folder? It is blank.

There is a Windows help file included with BUG. It is called "BUG Mod Help.chm" and can be opened using the "Help" button on the BUG Options screen (ALT + CTRL + O while playing a game). You may not see the ".chm" extension as extensions are hidden by default in WinXP.

If it is opening with MS Publisher, it seems that Publisher has stolen the CHM file type. That's odd since Microsoft makes both Windows (chm) and Publisher. You can change the type so it will open correctly pretty easily, but I don't know if this will interfere with Publisher. This operation can be undone (see below).

1. Go to Windows (File) Explorer
  2. In the menu, select Tools : Folder Options...
  3. Click the File Types tab
  4. In the Registered file types list, scroll down to "CHM" (you can type "CHM")
  5. Click the Change... button (circled in red in the screenshot)
  6. The Open With window will appear
  7. In the Programs list, select "Microsoft(R) HTML Help Executable"
  8. Click the OK button to close the Open With window
  9. Click the OK button to close the Folder Options window
Spoiler Screenshot :
If you have trouble with Publisher, you can change it back following the same instructions, except select "Microsoft(R) Publisher" in step 7.

Random fun fact: Microsoft's Windows File Association website has no idea what their own CHM file type is. :goodjob:

Did that, clicked help in ctrl-alt-O....game crashed

Did that, clicked help in ctrl-alt-O....game crashed

Hmm, all that does is launch the CHM file a la double-clicking it in Windows Explorer. Here's something simpler than changing the file association to try first.

Right-click the CHM file in Windows Explorer and select Open With.... Is that a submenu? If so, is "Microsoft(R) HTML Help Executable" in the list? If not, select Choose Program.... You'll see the second window in the screenshot in my previous post.

The help file is a standard Windows file type. I'm surprised it's not working for you.

Tried that. It has the table of contents on the left side then in the main window it says unable to open. Suggests checking my internet connection. When I open the help file from the game, it crashes to the desktop.

I think I'll just ignore the features i don't understand and use those I do. It's just some of the PLE that i was wondering about. I figured out the left side that lines up units. It's the little tank/airplane/ship (probably for filtering land/air/naval units)

Top Bottom