Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Is there a way to allocate how many AI per continent?

This is up to the map script AFAIK. BUG doesn't add any special options for this, nor does it change what the game normally does.

BUG doesn't display the correct number of cities sometimes for a vassal in the score section - the number is colored cyan instead of white. Why is that? Because communication with a vassal can be limited?

BUG doesn't display the correct number of cities sometimes for a vassal in the score section - the number is colored cyan instead of white. Why is that? Because communication with a vassal can be limited?
The count is shown if you can talk to the AI (you can see the cities in the diplo screen). If you cannot get to that screen, the color is changed to cyan and only the cities that you can see on the map are counted.

If you cannot get to that screen, the color is changed to cyan and only the cities that you can see on the map are counted.

And if you cannot see the capital, BUG adds one to the total in cyan, just to be thorough. This means that BUG will never show the actual number of cities a vassal has, though its estimate may sometimes be correct.

Yesterday I re-installed Civ 4 together with BAT mod and run it at the highest screen resolution of my computer.

Now, I got two technical questions and seem to be unable to find help elsewhere.

1. Is it possible to enlarge all fonts etc since with a high screen resolution, landscape is pretty, but text too small.

2. I can't move the screen with my mouse, is there a setting I need to adjust to be able to do so. It irritates me and I am sure there is a way to do that.

Thanks for your help, guys :goodjob:

1. Is it possible to enlarge all fonts etc since with a high screen resolution, landscape is pretty, but text too small.
Civscale changes the font size. You can also do it manually by editing the Civ4Theme_Common.thm file in 'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Resource\Themes\Civ4'.
2. I can't move the screen with my mouse, is there a setting I need to adjust to be able to do so. It irritates me and I am sure there is a way to do that.
In full screen, just run your mouse to the end and it will scroll. If you are in windows mode, then I have no idea (never use that mode). Isn't it possible to click and hold on a tile and pull your screen around that way?

Ok, thanks for the help, well the mouse issue is solved via the ini file. However, the civscale programme doesn't exist anymore.

Am not a programmer so how do I edit this file you are talking about?

Anyway, thanks a lot :goodjob:

Ok, thanks for the help, well the mouse issue is solved via the ini file. However, the civscale programme doesn't exist anymore.

Think you should find it in "my games" folder which is in your documents folder. If you're playing BTS, then go into that folder and open the file civilizationIV, which should be a "configuration settings" file - icon has a cog wheel or something. Find the line that says
; Allow Mouse Scrolling in Windowed mode
MouseScrolling = 0
and change the 0 to 1 and save it.
I think its close to the top.

If you're playing in windowed mode, I'd recommend getting shiftwindow. Gives the benefit of windowed mode (alt tab etc) but looks like fullscreen :)

edit* thought this was a different questions thread, just realised its the bat/bull one! so the location might not be correct, I'm not sure. But thats the kind of entry most likely to solve the problem.

or you can just use the arrow keys to move around

Anyway, thanks a lot :goodjob:
Civscale is a component of the actual Blue Marble install package and is not incorporated in BAT. If you download and install Blue Marble, it will give you the option of changing the font scale, as well as coloring your HUD environment. Keep in mind that doing that will change the fonts and HUD color for all games, not just with BAT.

so now that I have installed BAT mod, would I need to install and uninstall blue marble?

I rather just manipulate that said Civ4Theme_Common.thm file, only question is how to do that?
Need an editor?

ha, ok, I feel dumb now :hammer2:

I read that there is some maximum font size possible...well, I got to dig those old discussions. All thanks to the resounding success called Civ 5, I am back to this game

BUG you can - install as single player
BAT is a mod
BUFFY is a mod

Great, I installed and it works. It doesn't seem to remember my preferences (i.e. I want to see the civ/leader each time I start a new game). How do I get it to remember?

Great, I installed and it works. It doesn't seem to remember my preferences (i.e. I want to see the civ/leader each time I start a new game). How do I get it to remember?

Easy fix is to run the game as Administrator using XP/Vista. The problem is that Civ4 is not being allowed to write to your My Games location. If you are familiar with directory and file permissions in Windows, allow everyone to be able to write to your My Games / BTS folder.

Oddly, I had a similar problem but I was (I assume) running it with admin rights. It did work when I tried it again, but on occasion it didn't save my preferences. Odd.

This mod looks great but I haven't seen documentation this poor since the Civ 5 Civilopedia. Ambiguity right off the bat. I play Civ 4 in single and multiplayer; do I need to run the installer twice? Dear god I hope not but according to the installer I do. Oh, maybe I'll just install this as a "regular" mod, whatever that means.

Good thing the FAQ tells me how to run the .exe, whew! I'm sure that's a frequently asked question.

I'm sure a regular would laugh at this post because these issues are easily resolvable. But my problem is with the lack of documentation.

Go with the multi-player install and you'll be able to use it both ways. I agree the documentation is lacking, but to fully explain what's going on takes far too much to throw at the typical user. We opted for descriptions that most players at CFC would understand, and that obviously doesn't cover everyone.

Top Bottom