Why my library says +4 culture? :(

dylanmeditates

Warlord
Is my game fd up? Sometimes i open a city screen and the library says +4 culture. Recently I noticed that incan terrace also says +4 where I thought it should say +2. Is there something screwy in my game files? has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Only some of them say +4 and others say +2. If no one has any clues I can post a game file or something.

Some events can increase the amount of culture provided by libraries/terraces.

After so many years after a building is built its culture doubles. I forget how long - in turns or years.

On normal speed, buildings double their culture after 1000 years.

If you play as the Inca, captured Granaries become Terraces and can offer double culture even though they were built by the AI. Greece benefit in the same way when an old Colosseum/Odeon is captured.

The Palace doesn't double its culture, and neither do the free Monuments provided by Stonehenge. There might be a few others too (Forbidden Palace, maybe?).

On normal speed, buildings double their culture after 1000 years.

If you play as the Inca, captured Granaries become Terraces and can offer double culture even though they were built by the AI. Greece benefit in the same way when an old Colosseum/Odeon is captured.

The Palace doesn't double its culture, and neither do the free Monuments provided by Stonehenge. There might be a few others too (Forbidden Palace, maybe?).

Every cultural building provides extra culture when it is over 1000 years old, regardless of game speed. That is years, not turns, and so the number of turns required varies greatly (since years per turn varies with both turns passed and game speed).

For most buildings, this culture is doubled. As mentioned before, "free" stonehenge monuments do not double (and disappear with astronomy) though "not-free" monuments do. Some buildings do not receive double culture: the palace, is one example, and culture-less wonders. Wonders that produce no culture actually DO produce culture if they get to 1000 years old, but good luck making the kremlin or the pentagon before 1000 AD.

EDIT: This info provided by Tachywaxon/Manco Capac, through the filter of my memory.

There might be a few others too (Forbidden Palace, maybe?).

I believe Academies also don't double culture. At least I read that somewhere.

Yep, I'm 99% sure you're right.

I also forgot to mention the Sistine Chapel bug. At least, I assume it's a bug. The wonder is meant to give: "+5 culture from all State Religion buildings," but this +5 culture gets doubled for any 1000 year old state religion buildings... so old Temples can give out +12 :culture: in total, and Monasteries +14 :culture: :lol:

OK thank goodness it's not a bug... I was having my best game ever when I noticed this and couldn't help but wonder if I was doing so well bc the python files were corrupted or st. There's always a good reason though, huh? :)
Now I'm glad I checked... that's a pretty important mechanic to remember!

Well, if you want to know exactly which culture buildings do and don't provide the 1000-year double-bonus, in (Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Buildings\BuildingInfos.xml) , check if the building class contains:

Code:
<CommerceChangeDoubleTimes>
	<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
	<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
	<iCommerce>1000</iCommerce>
</CommerceChangeDoubleTimes

Spoiler :
A translation in English:

List of the commerce types (Gold, Science, Culture), which may or may not be produced by the building; multiply the base production of the referenced commerce type (if any is actually produced), when a number of years equal or greater to listed number has elapsed since construction.

In the example above, after 1000 years, the base culture output will double. As a side note, espionnage is also a type of ''commerce'', and would follow after culture in the list (but is not listed, and often isn't for the other buildings either). By this logic, you can theoretically have any type of commerce yield double after a set number of years.

As for the generation of culture after conquest, in addition to the unique buildings case, you can check if they have:

Code:
<CommerceChangeOriginalOwners>
	<bCommerceChangeOriginalOwner>0</bCommerceChangeOriginalOwner>
	<bCommerceChangeOriginalOwner>0</bCommerceChangeOriginalOwner>
	<bCommerceChangeOriginalOwner>1</bCommerceChangeOriginalOwner>
</CommerceChangeOriginalOwners>

These are set mostly for world wonders however, most, if not all regular buildings are set to the default of 0 (a.k.a. ''False'').

All the hundreds of hours I've spent playing this and reading these forums and I never knew that happened at all :(

+50% is substantial percent ! ;) or at least +3 culture :mischief: .... if You behave good ..... <looking at You> no ! I do not believe You have ! here ! have -3 instead !!! xD

Top Bottom