All Leaders Challenge Game 19: Sumer/Gilgamesh

My impression of Agg AI is that it's generally harder than normal AI. The civs that tech fast still tech fast, and the civs that love units and tech slower still do the same. Just that unit lovers have even more units and those perceived unit-lite civs like Gandhi will actually have a worthwhile army. Therefore, taking out civs is an altogether different prospect. Plus, as it's not been done before in an ALC, if nothing else, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out...

I think your biggest mistake this game that put you behind technologically for a long time was two-part: 1) You spread out your empire (including one really distant city to claim an unneeded [at the time] copper source); and 2) You failed to prioritize your economy early on which is important in BtS. As you mentioned, if you had leveraged representation more early (why go into HR thus giving you anarchy x2?) and attended more to techs like currency, etc. I think you would've been in better shape.

Overall though, a well-played game and a good example of how not to give up and persevere to win regardless (at a high level). Good job.

Agg AI is a good choice for the next ALC. But I don't think it balances Ragnar's advantages on an archipelago map. I guess I would now recommend either big and small continents or fractal to keep the game fair and interesting.

I think it's a misconception to say that "the AI techs slower on Agg AI". While it's true, the same is true for you if you want to stay alive! The AI spend more gold on units and you had better do the same most of the time. The difference then? It's much more difficult to do an early rush, and early wars is a make or break deal that is hard to recover from if you miscalculate.

It's no harder to do an early rush with AggAI than it is without. I play on AggAI about 2/3rds the time, and I very often do an early rush. The AI doesn't have more units with AggAI than it does without.

Once you hit Cats/Macemen/Longbows, yes, the AggAI will start pulling ahead with troops.

Bh

If you have neighbourhood where playing the diplomatic game is viable, you can keep out of warring even with low power rating. In that case you'll simply outtech the AIs and will build the army when you're an era or more ahead of them.

AggAI techs slower. If you play warring game, it's OK, but if you play diplo and teching, then it's easier than normal AI as you can tech at normal rate still.

AggAI techs slower. If you play warring game, it's OK, but if you play diplo and teching, then it's easier than normal AI as you can tech at normal rate still.

Right - so if Sisutil anticipates a warlike game, then Aggressive AI is a good choice. That's the case here, so... no problem.

Indeed. I'm too lazy to install the bhruic patch :lol: To be fair, I think I could have reached the same result without stockpiling fighters by using carriers. Nukes were disabled and I razed all of Shaka's coastal cities so he couldn't build anything to counter my navy. It just would have meant more MM as I would have had to build more carriers to base my fighters in. I had based most of my bombers in Sitting Bull's cities.

If you have neighbourhood where playing the diplomatic game is viable, you can keep out of warring even with low power rating. In that case you'll simply outtech the AIs and will build the army when you're an era or more ahead of them.

The only problem there is the Agg/Ai setting makes those neighbourhoods rare, or atleast in my games. Mybe I am not as good diplomatically as you, but the Ai in this case frequently goes to war at pleased. Especially if you are weak when they meet you. They make the decision to go to war and even if you suck up, once they decide they don't change their mind.

edit: oh man, you have a healer chariot named Arminius. i think you should rename him Vercingetorix! of course for all i know Arminius was a doctor IRL and Verc was a teacher, but it's still a better name.

Reading up on some really interesting ALC threads I came across this line. Sorry to push this one over the current ALC20 :)

Anyway, Arminius wasn't really a doctor :D but he was responsible for the worst defeat of Rome ever and that at the height of its power! For more info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminius

THREE complete legions of Rome (and then some) were annihilated in the German forests in 9 AD with the Germans under Arminius' (trained by Rome!) command. It's not really well known, maybe because only recently evidence of where this battle took place was found.

he was responsible for the worst defeat of Rome ever and that at the height of its power
<cough> battle of cannae <cough> 60,000 dead iirc, and about 1/3 of the senate killed.

This is probably the narrowest win of any ALC until now though the Hannibal one comes close; not using representation and allowing Washington to build up such a huge empire (he was double your size before the first war) were huge mistakes , particularly the latter IMO. Your comeback certainly made up for all of that although Shaka did help by pummeling Hannibal or else I think he would have won space - imagine if he and Shaka were buddies from when you discovered them :crazyeye: and he became a peacetime vassal of Shaka.

Top Bottom