Deleting Victories and AIGrandStrategies - is it safe?

PawelS

Ancient Druid
In my total conversion mod most of the standard types of victories (Cultural, Spaceship, Diplomatic) don't make sense due to various reasons, so I decided to get rid of them. I could leave the Domination victory, but I suspect that its existence, without the other victories, would cause all AIs to play aggressively, which is not my goal. Perhaps I will add some victories later, but now I'm just going to use the Time victory only.

So I deleted all victories except Time, and all AIGrandStrategies, as they are associated with the deleted victories. The game seems to run normally, but perhaps there can be problems I'm not aware of. So, can the deletion cause any potential harmful issues, other that UI? (I'm aware that the Victory Progress screen doesn't work.)

Deleting AIGrandStrategies may be actually beneficial, as I hope it will make the AI playstyle more balanced, and not focused only on one aspect of the game. I'm not really interested in making the AI "play to win", I prefer when it "roleplays", so its behavior is based on the leader personality. And I like to roleplay myself too, rather than doing everything to achieve a victory.

Update: Due to the error in xml.log about the lack of grand strategies, I added one grand strategy that does nothing. I will post here again if I encounter any issues with it.

Update 2: deleting Victories (but not AI Grand Strategies) causes incorrect savegames which crash the game when loading. So I'm going to disable and hide the victories in game setup instead.

Disabling and hiding seems to almost always be the safest option for total conversions.

Top Bottom