The Great Hall

Turn 161, 1010ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Mav
Spoiler :

Spot B taken!

Chariot deleted after checking where they put their front but it looks like they're still a ways back in the city. I suppose that turn was where a backstab might have been orchestrated but alas, it looks like Q is back in their boats and I'm hoping they land in their favorite forest again.

Turn 162, 1020ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Running tech on Engineering (desperately needed on mav side) now. Prolly need mav money to finish

Mav
Spoiler :

And they don't fall for it. Land on bubble gum instead

We were able to attack with 1 catapult 2 xbows 2 longbows 4 HA and a warrior, but I didn't. I guess I was too scared of those trebs. Although in hindsight, I maybe should have gone in with at least the cat and xbows, maybe even longbows too to lose-but-soften the attack and throw everything in the city and prepare for the worst, but it is what it is, now we likely have a razed city and an army with its window closing in on it. At this point I'm starting to lean towards grouping up in the jungles to stay alive and be a nuisance, but I'd need things to get out of hand for that to happen and the main stack ain't here yet.

Turn 163, 1030ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Mav
Spoiler :

So they took the city, landing 4 trebs to attack us with and 2 extra longbow to defend. In hindsight, I should have been across the river to fight those trebs (or anything) but there's that I wish I could have back with how this went. Last turn, as these units involved here are much the same, I was tempted to lead more or less xbows/cr2mace to get through to their mace, and after that it was more or less our mounted vs their pikes, and by then we'd have most of their units pummeled all they'd have is their seige, and if we could win some battles we'd end up with promotable units and they'd be left with seige. And what I had to balance the 2 new longbows was 2 more cats of my own (now 3) and if I were to give them city raider they'd take the longbows enough out of the fight that I could deal with the rest of the stack as I wanted. In hindsight, with how things went down, Barrage is always the way to go and this is the second time i've made this mistake. Looking at it again now it so clear that the number they had, 20, would make 3 cats (4-6 units coll. each) fairly minimal and I'd need all the collateral I could get. But city raider it was and I wasn't lucky enough to make up for it.

us v them, strength v strength, our odds, our result

cat v longbow, 5 v 7.5, 21.1%, withdraw
cat v longbow, 5 v 7.5, 21.1%, lose
cat v musket, 5 v 10.80, 3.3%, lose
musket v musket, 7.74 v 10.80, 12.1%, lose
xbow v longbow, 5.25 v 7.13, 21.5%, lose
xbow v xbow, 5.41 v 6, 43.9%, lose
xbow v mace, 6 v 5.71, 60.0%, win
mace v mace, 6.72 v 5.44, 62.8%, win
musket v musket, 7.74 v 8.06, 47.5%, win
longbow v mace, 7.2 v 7.39, 55.4%, lose
musket v pike, 6.66 v 6.6, 50.7%, lose
longbow v pike, 5.46 v 6, 51.1%, lose
longbow v pike, 4.92 v 6, 21.0%, lose
elephant v pike, 6.68 v 10.10, 9.8%, lose
HA v pike, 6.6 v 6.32, 66.1%, win
elephant v musket, 7.1 v 5.29, 78.3%, lose
HA v mace, 6 v 4.22, 89.2%, win
HA v longbow, 6 v 4.17, 89-90%, win
HA v treb, 6 v 4, 90.1%, win
HA v treb, 6.6 v 4, 96.0%, win

Some of those longbow battles i was looking too closely at just odds and not so much number, (thus relying on first strike); the first consecutive longbow v pike battle took no damage and I had to try it again.

And things as I left them:

Now, I'm gonna make the asumption that these are/were 5xp units at best (they switched to theo ~dozen turns ago so I'm thinking all that gets promoted is the single units, the crossbow and a pike, and if they don't land anything else (fingers crossed), then all they really got is that seige and maybe we have another good go at it next turn.

Turn 164, 1040ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Something horrible happened this turn. They, likely Amazon with their recent obvious spy drop-offs (one went more or less unreported), sabotages the two corns of Castle as well as poisoning the city. For the turn being we just barely held on to pop 12 with just 1:food: left in the back but starting next turn were going to lose population. Our two workers begin repairing.

Mav
Spoiler :

Over here this is where things stood as I logged in. All they did was attack with one measly treb. It attacked our city raider 3 mace at 13.6 odds and lost, we might have took no damage.

However, what you also may have noticed is the Amazon stack in the picture and another Sirius stack 4 tiles above that. These things are tough (shown in bottom shot) and will probably do us in over here on the maverick mainland. But at least for this turn, I had the opportunity to take on cav scout with the banged up what we got left and I took it. My thinking here is even though it makes things easier for the northern civs, at least I can harm someone. Screw them for siding with them and this is what they get. So the weak get weak and the strong get stronger.

us v them, us.. them, our odds, our result

cat v longbow, 5 v 7.96, 20.0%, withdraw (appropriately promoted city raider 2 this time
xbow v longbow, 7.2 v 5.77, 75.1%, win
musket v musket, 9 v 5.83, 95.4%, win
xbow v xbow, 6 v 4.44, 87.8%, win
musket v pike, 10.8 v 4.17, 99.9%, win
HA v treb, 5.54 v 4, 87.8%, win
HA v treb, 5.61 v 4, 80.6%, win (weaker combat 2 is sure different odds compared to above)
HA v treb, 6.27 v 4, 95.3%, win
xbow v treb, 7.2 v 4, 98.2%, win
mace v longbow, 5.68 v 2.1, 98.9%, win
xbow v treb, 5.47 v 4, 91.0%, win
musket v pike, 5.24 v 1.25, 99.9% win

And we take back bubble gum. And now we have this on our hands:

Not looking good, but we knew that. Can I say well done to slaze for continuing and seeking advantage whereever he could.

Thanks

Turn 165, 1050ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Ouch

Mav
Spoiler :

Q lands 4 fresh muskets this time. I throw in the 2 wounded city raider II cats for collateral effect and separate us into units to die and units to attack.

Turn 166, 1060ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Looks like next turn we'll get out of it though we may need a whip. I just hope they don't have more of this planned; I've always wanted to do this to someone

Mav
Spoiler :

The muskets (that i had hoped would attack) went back on their boats, I do remember two Q galleons in the water that appeared as if they were ready to land but i guess it didn't show up in the shot. I basically took what was a tile just outside bubble gum last turn and retreated it; Copper city should fall and thus Cuirassiers could be loose (if not used). 3 new amazon units on the scene (J). My plan is to fall back on Poison city and make the final stand there (HAs in bubble prolly move there next turn). It don't look too good :crazyeye::crazyeye::scan:

Turn 168, 1080ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Dutch build taj. Gardens OK after that poison, 2 more and it's hurtin bad

Mav
Spoiler :

Meant to take the shot but don't seem to have it. I'll do my best to explain. We had left little and were in a general retreat towards poison city. How they positioned themselves was as shown below, and thus separated like that I figured that among the 3 options I saw (1 - attacking now, 2 - maybe attacking next turn, and 3 defending two turns out) that with the units assembled and running round and such that the defending option was one of the worst options out there. With little fortify to depend on and no cultural defense their armies would possibly lose only the two catapults, quickly getting most battles in the 90s, etc. And with the Cuirassiers separated I figured my best chance to win anything would be right now so I attacked.

This is what was is the Amazon stack:

3 Xbow - C2Shock, C2Cover, C1Shock
1 Knight C2Pinch
6 WE - 3C2Pinch, C2Shock, C2Formation, C1Pinch
2 Mace - CR3, C1CoverCR1
1 Pike - C2
4 Siege

17 units, 13 core and 4 seige

We had 16 units, 15* and 1 siege

4 Musket - C2, C1Pinch, C1, 0
2 Mace - CR3, C1
1 Longbow - O
4 Xbow - 3 wounded, 5.3C3, 5.5C2, 4.3C2 & CG1
5 HA - some wounded, full C2, 2 full C1, wounded C1-C2s
a warrior which I'll discount and a cat - B2

I look at this and yeah, they got alot up against the muskets but once I get past the knight I got quite a few base 9 troops against the promoted 8s; if I can massage some of those down, I may be able to get some pretty close battles, and that I'll take over losing it all. I throw the cat in and get lucky with where the collateral fell, 2 pinches i believe, and then I make a pretty bad litle blunder, I send in the CG xbow from bubble gum without sending engineering over from merlot, so bam, he's outta moves, but through the other xbows and along the HAs damage was made with each battle and by the time the muskets came around we got some coin flips but just didn't have enough luck

cat v knight, 5 v 12, 2.3%, lose
xbow v knight, 6.55 v 10.44, 8.5%, lose
xbow v knight, 6.86 v 8.64, 24.7%, win
xbow v WE, 5.04 v 9.6, 1.5%, lose
HA v WE, 4.75 v 13.72, 0.1%, withdraw
HA v WE, 4.29 v 13.6, 0.0%, withdraw
HA v WE, 7.2 v 13.6, 1.2%, lose
HA v WE, 6.6 v 13.6, 0.8%, lose
HA v WE, 6.6 v 12.8, 1.0%, withdraw
musket v WE, 10.8 v 10.2, 53.7%, win
musket v WE, 9.9 v 9.97, 49.8%, lose
musket v WE, 9.9 v 9.97, 49.8%, lose
musket v mace, 9 v 8.8, 63.8%, lose
mace v xbow, 8 v 11.7, 8.0% lose
mace v xbow, 8.8 v 9.65, 37.6%, win

In the first picture below all that is shown (what won or withdrew) got deleted. In fact all we have in a longbow and in those last few battles I lost track of the dutch Cuirassiers (bottom picture) so that means they (the dutch, or carthage if they had units in boats) can take both cities next turn, we're effectively done on the mainland, 1090ad

Turn 170, 1100ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Castle has bottomed out with the poisoning (was ok last turn) but now they're working on Gardens. It also appears they took Replaceable Parts with Lib, so one can only suspect where they're going next

Mav
Spoiler :

Turn 172, 1120ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

A galleon or two about and frigates now, but galleons bring spies

Mav
Spoiler :

So we are at peace now but alas a dumb move by me to offer, even in such a roundabout way. I must declare in ten turn to retain war weariness

Turn 173, 1130ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Sometimes we catch then, but even then, no

Mav
Spoiler :

And ours even gets caught

Turn 176, 1160ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Especially harsh with the spies this turn. They did a civics switch to put us in despotism out of hereditary, and we can't switch back for 5 turns, but then they also did a foment unhappiness mission. We're dropping to pop 1 fast. It starting to make me wonder what the spies that we're catching would be doing.

Mav
Spoiler :

Turn 177, 1170ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

No spies but a pretty solid galleon cycle in place (though always in ones so no display of groupings of troops, just likely the cycle of spies. I suppose I need to build spies fast to sit in defense and delete useless warriors to save money. Mav has like 90 something i beleive and running s short profit.

Mav
Spoiler :

And the sirius troops are gone. They could be in the ships (a pair of galleons to the south and the rest are singles, but those 3-4 galleons could hold a decent amount of rifles/cav.) We'll see, maybe they went elsewhere

Top Bottom