The Global Foyer

That is a good idea Sir Caledorn! Please make a seperate thread where we post all communications sent and received, while we keep the discussion here.

We need to set a deadline for Persia to reply, Sir Caledorn can you PM their diplomat and ask on the status of their reply?
CDZ and everyone else must get a reply from us very soon and Persia is holding things for us.

PM sent to Silentconfusion :) I hope we'll either get a reply from them formally or from him soon. I'll post here as soon as I get a reply.

Otherwise, I suggest that we give them until Wednesday afternoon (18:00 CET for instance?) at most - and even that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, since it feels impolite to postpone answering the other teams because we're dependent upon Amazon's response. I see the need for that response, though.

Received this PM today from Silentconfusion :

Caledorn,

We are very sorry to have kept Indiansmoke waiting. We are hammering out the details and we should have it sent out to you shortly. I will try to get people to wrap it up today, but at the latest we'll have our reply to you tomorrow.

We understand your desire to get our reply quickly. I'll try to speed up the process as much as I can for you guys.

SilentConfusion

We have received a response - and wow, what a response!

I have posted it in the Diplomatic Archives.

I missed the reply from Amazon, just saw it! I was a bit confused as I though we would use the other thread to post only received and send communications, not drafts...and that we would dicuss drafts here.

Anyway, the Amazon letter is just gaining time without saying much.

I think we should reply to them telling them about our resources and our willingness to ally with them and asking them directly if they are willing to enter a tech trading deal (lets inform them that we are on our way to monarchy).

The letter to sirious

Greetings Grant2004, and the entire nation of the Sirian people, from Emperor Indiansmoke I and the people of Merlot!

His Majesty sends his warmest regards to your nation, and wants you to know that the people of Merlot feels honoured to greet your people in friendship!

We are very much looking forward to entering diplomatic negotiations with your nation now that initial contact has been made, and your diplomats will always be welcome to Merlot Island!

To start off with some informational sharing, we would like to divulge the information that our nation is currently located on Merlot Island - a beautiful island where the people of Merlot are currently living happily under the rule of His Majesty. Our ocean explorers have discovered a continent that looks like it has peninsulas and fjords. May we ask what your explorers have found so far?

We are very much looking forward to the next letter from your people - and we may always be contacted at the EMail this missive has been sent from - merlotdip@gmail.com just to make certain.

Sir Caledorn
Imperial Diplomat of Merlot
on behalf of Emperor Indiansmoke I

This is Ok lets add the resources we have and ask them what they have.

About CDZ lets tell them that we are a bit worried that the other 4 teams are exchanging techs and we fear that they are trying to isolate Merlot and CDZ and that of course we are willing to share info about land and resources and tell them what we discovered.

Diplo is getting complicated...
Indeed...and will continue to be a bit convoluted IMO until all of the teams have been met and engaged. Surely some alliances are already in the making.

I was about to post this in the West Tower, but since it's more diplomatic, it probably deserves being here instead.
It was a 4 way trade only us and CDZ left out.
I think I speak for us all when I say this can't continue. I would try to use misinformation to spread distrust between those involved in the trades.
"TEAM A was talking to us about invading your great nation and plundering it for themselves, TEAM B. They will surely deny they ever said anything like that, but we must be on our guard, for we of Merlot do not trust them either. Perhaps our nations can forge an agreement to trade the bounties of technology we both carry?"
Of course this idea may not work and has major potential disadvantages. My point is, the longer you let any type of agreement or alliance last, the stronger it becomes. If you can't bring about suspicion and distrust between those involved, it will grow over time. Besides, diplomatically destroying relationships between nations is much less costly than going to war.

But I'm not the official diplomat on any of these matters, so you are welcome to ignore my ideas ;)

Something like that could work, but it would need to be far more subtle. I suspect most people would see through that instantly. I rather doubt these 4 teams are in anything more than a trading coalition on a certain deal, ive never heard of a 4 man alliance in a 6 player game.

I suggest that whoever we ally, we be as fourthcoming as possible in our relations with them. In C4DG on poly, we knew our ally was turning on us when they started restricting info they would tell us, and managed to take the war to them first and win as a result

I missed the reply from Amazon, just saw it! I was a bit confused as I though we would use the other thread to post only received and send communications, not drafts...and that we would dicuss drafts here.

Anyway, the Amazon letter is just gaining time without saying much.

I think we should reply to them telling them about our resources and our willingness to ally with them and asking them directly if they are willing to enter a tech trading deal (lets inform them that we are on our way to monarchy).

My apologies, Your Majesty. I think I will keep the other thread as clean as possible by including both the letter and the reply in the same post. I realized that would be the most organized way of doing it only after I had already posted the first draft in a separate message though. If you agree with my idea, I will start posting it in the manner I am proposing here from now on. If you would rather have me post the drafts here in the Foyer, however, I will of course do so. :) Using the method I have done below with direct linking to the posts might be a bit cleaner though. But that's the rather perfectionist organizator in me talking however. ;)

I have done the neccessary modifications to all the drafts in the thread (and sent off the letter to the Sirians). I will work on the CDZ letter too, but I have some other business to attend to first. So either in a few hours, or tomorrow for the letter to CDZ. Please approve/disapprove of the modifications done in the drafts.

Team Amazon - Draft
Team Quatronia - Draft
Team Sirius - Reply Sent

If I may comment on the letters,
Something I'm noticing is lacking in all of them is that we haven't asked what other nations think of each other - this isn't "incorrect" to ask, and I think it will give us a more in-depth view of how the nations feel about each other, something which we can take advantage of when the time comes. And if they decide to ask us, we don't have to give them the whole truth (as they probably won't give us the whole truth either).
We can even use this line of questioning to strengthen a possible agreement - whether trade or military.

And although tempting, we may want to stray away from the word "alliance", unless we feel we can trust the player and they will be helpful to us. If at one point we decide to attack our ally because it would be strategically good for us, then we of course would be breaking an alliance, and our ally would quickly announce this to the other players, therefore we'd lose confidence with all the players. However, if we come to an "agreement", we aren't officially allied - working closely together, perhaps, but not allies. Then, if the time comes, they don't really have the right to say we broke an alliance, because we never truly made one. (there's the lawyer in me! :D )

My apologies, Your Majesty. I think I will keep the other thread as clean as possible by including both the letter and the reply in the same post. I realized that would be the most organized way of doing it only after I had already posted the first draft in a separate message though. If you agree with my idea, I will start posting it in the manner I am proposing here from now on. If you would rather have me post the drafts here in the Foyer, however, I will of course do so. :) Using the method I have done below with direct linking to the posts might be a bit cleaner though. But that's the rather perfectionist organizator in me talking however. ;)

I have done the neccessary modifications to all the drafts in the thread (and sent off the letter to the Sirians). I will work on the CDZ letter too, but I have some other business to attend to first. So either in a few hours, or tomorrow for the letter to CDZ. Please approve/disapprove of the modifications done in the drafts.

Team Amazon - Draft
Team Quatronia - Draft
Team Sirius - Reply Sent

You are indeed very organized Sir Caledron :)

Amazon letter is good lets send it.

The quatronia confuses me a bit, it is CDZ we want to talk about the 4 way tech alliance not quatronia (quatronia is in the 4 way trade).

So we need to ask quatronia more or less the same things we asked from Amazon and tell CDZ that we are concirned about the 4 way tech exchange.

Here is my general strategy on diplo which will be our guide to see what we are asking for from whom.

1. We need 1 nation next to us to be long term allly. That must be either CDZ or Amazon. This is vital as we canot fight in 2 fronts.
2. We need the other neighbour to be on short term treaty, so we don't get to war too soon and spoil our development.

These are the 2 most important things.

Then we need 2 more alies as I believe a 4vs2 tech alliance will form. However if we were to be on the 2 team side CDZ is the ally we would want to be with!

And although tempting, we may want to stray away from the word "alliance", unless we feel we can trust the player and they will be helpful to us. If at one point we decide to attack our ally because it would be strategically good for us, then we of course would be breaking an alliance, and our ally would quickly announce this to the other players, therefore we'd lose confidence with all the players. However, if we come to an "agreement", we aren't officially allied - working closely together, perhaps, but not allies. Then, if the time comes, they don't really have the right to say we broke an alliance, because we never truly made one. (there's the lawyer in me! :D )

We are not stupid and the other teams are not stupid either. every move, every power rise every fleet, army gathering will be monitored. We will trust our allies but we will keep an eye on them too. and the same goes for them.

Backstabbing is for weak players and works only against weak players. Strong players are prepared for it and don't do it themselves because they can win fair and square. Those that cannot win are usually the ones looking for other ways!

In any case all these years in multiplayer I have never broken a deal and I am not about to start now! So as long as I have the word on that it will not happen.

I agree on that stance-i prefer to craft a reputation for honesty and loyalty in diplo, even if there are some shortsighted gains to be made sooner.

Looking at Quatronia draft, im worried it sounds a little desperate in regards to their trading partners. Im not good with words, but maybe there is a way to make the third paragraph more mellow while still asking the question. :)

Then we need 2 more alies as I believe a 4vs2 tech alliance will form. However if we were to be on the 2 team side CDZ is the ally we would want to be with!

Why would a 4v2 alliance form? Is there some bad blood here in merlot and CDZ with the others to cause this? Its strange because usually an alliance isnt greater than 50% of the total game size. Or do we just mean a tech trading partnership between them? Either way, i think it wont last forever. Eventually they will dissolve into bitter infighting(i hope!) and then our long term policy of crafting atleast neutral relations and patience will pay off when new alliances form. Hopefully CDZ will see this aswell and be loyal allies\trade partners, i wouldnt want to get backstabbed by berserker armies.

Why would a 4v2 alliance form? Is there some bad blood here in merlot and CDZ with the others to cause this? Its strange because usually an alliance isnt greater than 50% of the total game size. Or do we just mean a tech trading partnership between them? Either way, i think it wont last forever. Eventually they will dissolve into bitter infighting(i hope!) and then our long term policy of crafting atleast neutral relations and patience will pay off when new alliances form. Hopefully CDZ will see this aswell and be loyal allies\trade partners, i wouldnt want to get backstabbed by berserker armies.

A 4vs2 would be the natural and safest way to take 2 teams out of the game and leave 4 in contention increasing your own chances. So it is something that alot of people would think about. Whether it will happen or not remains to be seen.

My estimate is that it will.

Of course a 4 team alliance does not guarantee that your allies will help you in war. There might be a tech alliance but when war comes they might be too late or non willing to help.

I would be somewhat surprised if Dutch could be part of a long term 4 part alliance on this map. Their unique building is simply awesome on this map and other parties of the alliance would have trouble keeping up with them after Steam Engine.

On the other hand I am also a bit concerned about allying with CDZ. Their unique building allows very strong surprise attacks to the home islands, especially if (when) they are the first ones to circumnavigate the globe. Everyone should also know this, so I believe it is quite likely that they and their allies would be at the wrong the stick. I would rather see us allying with Amazons than CDZ. Though I agree completely with your assessment, my Lord, that we have to ally at least one of those.

As for 4 vs. 2 alliance, in this map I would say the perfect 4 vs. 2 alliance would separate the poor bastards left in the minority. For example if Vikings and Dutch were left behind, they would be losing really fast fighting on the both fronts. Four adjacent compatriots could not achieve same level of devastation as easily due to logistical issues.

Top Bottom