Installing Civ 4 on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11 (32-/64-bit)

Thanks for the reply & advise. I will stick with windows 7 also for now. I play civ 3/conquests (downloaded from Steem website) on windows 7 with no problems. It has been my favorite since 2002.
Thanks again!

Does installing the new windows 10 allow civ 4 installation without all the problems that windows 7 had? I have tried several times to install it by following the helpful posts with windows 7, but I just can't get to load properly. I'm not very tech. knowledgeable, so I'm thinking windows 10 may allow me to install directly from the disks with no additional "work-around".

Hi :) .

I searched your posts, but couldn't find any description of what hinders you to simply install and play CIV4. Could you plz describe the problems that you have, and possibly tell us which error message you're getting, and when the problem occurs, then we could try to help.

Seraiel

I followed the instructions for the windows 7 / vista install and it worked fine on Win 8.1
I do get the voice capture error, but have never used a mike, so no worries there.

Just done the upgrade to official release of Windows 10, all still working fine. :goodjob: Can't comment on a clean install.

@feringinar
Just to be clear - you were running Civ4 on 8.1 and, having upgraded your system to Windows 10, Civ 4 continues to work ok?
Has anyone else done this?

@feringinar
Just to be clear - you were running Civ4 on 8.1 and, having upgraded your system to Windows 10, Civ 4 continues to work ok?

Yes, no problem. I have an HP Laptop which came with Windows 8, upgraded to 8.1 and running Civ4 BTS and did an upgrade to Windows 10, I was amazed. 1st Windows upgrade that caused me no issues.

@feringinar

Yes, that is correct. I installed it on a new PC with 8.1, using the vista / win 7 methodology, and it worked fine. I have subsequently upgraded to windows 10, and it is still working. I have successfully played through a complete game, with a number of reloads on new sessions. No issues.

I have now installed indows 10 on our new system and confirm the procedure I created continues to work.

Hi everyone! So my brother gave me the Retail Civilization IV Complete , but I can't seem to make it work on my computer.

I have windows 7 64bit installed and my pc specs are:
intel core i7 2.1
geforce 710m
6GB RAM

I install the game from the cd , but when I try to launch the game nothing happens, no error at all, it simply doesn't start... Can someone help me please?

Thank you in advance!

Did they change something recently to Windows 7 security settings? I keep getting messages that I need administrator rights. When I launch it as administrator nothing seems to happen. Can anybody help me?

I've been running Vista (SP2) for years and the original Civ IV (from the box) worked fine. Today Windows installed an update and now when I try and run the game, nothing happens - no error message, no pop up box, nothing. I ran the procedure above to install as admin and install the patches the same way - same issue.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Thanks - this is a bit out of my league. How do I run a command prompt in Vista? Can't see the option on the start button...

I tried following this but i tried starting up the game after patching with v.1.61 and nothing happened.

I have a new windows 8.1 64bit pc, i tried other ways and it still didn't work :I
admin mode, windows 7 compatiblity, etc.
nothing yet, :((

I think only BTS now runs, because of its no CD patch. So you need Civ 4, Warlords and BTS to be able to play.

Top Bottom