Espionage: Counter Intelligence

Aramis604

Chieftain
Over the course of my last three games I have noticed that my spies set to perform Counter Intelligence have been totally ineffective in killing enemy spies. Quite literally in 3 games I have not successfully stopped a spy from stealing from me. I'm not sure how many opportunities there have been in total over those game, but in my current game I'm up to a count of 0 for 8.

Any chance anyone else has noticed similar issues?

In a related subject, how can one go about leveling up a spy when you are in the tech lead? Apart from the Intelligence Agency wonder that is.

I also find that my Counter-Intel spy is rarely successful. Having a spy on defense seems less effective than building the Constabulary and Police Station to slow the tech stealers down.

Aside from actually succeeding in killing an enemy spy, or stealing a tech yourself, the only other way to level up your spy is to get the National Intelligence Agency.

And I don't know if the AI get a reduction benefit, but they seem to steal techs at least twice as fast from me as I can from the AI. It seems that if I am behind or deeply beelining, I might be able to steal 3 techs in a game, but I've seen my rivals steal many more than that in far less time. And that's just the ones where you find out who the thief is.

Yup, counter intelligence (and spy defense in general) is currently too weak. A recruit almost as well not be in the city at all given the poor chance. The first promotion is somewhat better, and the second promotion is semi-decent.

But the defense buildings don't kill spies at all; they just increase number of turns needed. (Which seems to be needed to give counter intelligence a chance at all.)

The rate is based on that city's science rate: Since the AI city spams, their per city rate is a lot less than a human playing tall, with or without a puppet empire.

From experience, it does seem to take a while for them to kill the first spy... The 2nd promotion does come a lot quicker though...

Top Bottom