Civilization 4 and Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
im running vista x64 and when I start civ4 it will first talk about known compatibility issues and then start loading and then it will say the program has stopped working. (this is before it goes into full screen mode). I haven't tried any patches or anything yet.

I'm getting the same issue as this guy on vista 32. One thing I noticed is the _civ4config shortcut points here:

"%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini"

...which, as you can probably guess, is not a valid shortcut. So I guess my user folder isn't being installed, because I searched my hard drive for civilizationiv.ini and came up with nothing. I tried running the installer in xp compatability with admin, installing directx 9c, patching to 1.61 to 1.74, and nothing changed.

I'm using the install CDs I got when I picked up the game three years ago, and there's probably a vista configuration solution somewhere, but I don't know what it is.

There is some direct X thing you need to install. Forget what it is called :p

I guess making it run in NT compatability instead of XP did it for me. Nevermind! Odd, though, that I tried that before and it didn't work.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Running 1.74 works fine, but 3.17 can't locate the CD, no matter what I do. Admin, no admin, every compatability version... nothing works.

I bought civ4 and i have Win Vista on my computer.

The installation went through with no problems, but then the problems started with "Can't read the disc" and "d3d...dll failed"

I installed patch 1.61 and the 1.74 and finally directx9 which came with civ4 dvd. Still the game didn't work.

Then i downloaded the directx9c from the link from this thread and the game is working very well in Vista, I haven't founded problems so far in the game.

Thanx to you! :goodjob:

I am trying to get CIV IV running in Vista. After reviewing what ha been posted in this thread, I uninstalled the game completely. I then installed DirectX 9.1c from the link in this thread. I then installed the game from the CD's, which was version 1.09. I installed the 1.52 patch, then the 1.61 patch, and then the 1.74 patch. No errors were displayed during any of these actions.

The game loads, and I can set the game options. I can select a single player game and choose a civilization (i.e. roman, Greek, Eqyptian, etc.). When I get to the part that should let me start playing, the game crashes and a cryptic Vista error comes up.

I tried install Sun Java to see if that may have an impact, but it doesn't seem to have done anything.

What have I overlooked?

I am trying to get CIV IV running in Vista. After reviewing what ha been posted in this thread, I uninstalled the game completely. I then installed DirectX 9.1c from the link in this thread. I then installed the game from the CD's, which was version 1.09. I installed the 1.52 patch, then the 1.61 patch, and then the 1.74 patch.

I've done the same sort of thing (except I went from v1.000 of Civ 4 to 1.61 and 1.72 - but my brand new laptop refuses to get beyond "You have the wrong DVD in the drive" - even when I'm running FROM the DVD!

Please help :D

here is what displays in the error reporting window:

Sid Meier's Civilization 4 has stopped working.

Problem Details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Civilization4.exe
Application Version: 1.7.4.0
Application Timestamp: 464bc30c
Fault Module Name: StackHash_08f5
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: 18a3bd42
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 08f5
Additional Information 2: 4ed23e540616c7e27484fe318a3ab908
Additional Information 3: 3562
Additional Information 4: adfedbafe961c226161fe53bd88643d6

I am attaching my log files, the CIV 4 crash dump file, and a file named "~e5.0001" that appeared in TEMP folder when the game crashed. Using a text editor, it appears that this file is reporting an problem associated with .NET and the Microsoft C++ Runtime Libraries. :confused:

Attachments

• Civ4_Files.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
My computer is a desktop. My motherboard is an ECS KM400-M2, AMD Athalon XP 2600+ 2.12 GHz, 1 GB RAM, video card is ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256 MB 128 bit memory. My hard drive is 120 GB, and I have a second hard drive dedicated to Windows SWAP files.

The ~e5.0001 files is a real head-scratcher. I have the latest .NET (version 1, 2, & 3) because of some other internet interaction I am involved with. Isn't there some C++ elements that are installed with CIV 4 in addition to Python?

BTW, The information at the site you referenced deals with Windows XP issues and are not handled the same in Vista, but thanks anyway, all knowledge is good.;)

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    28.7 KB · Views: 87
well I just assumed that you run xp - which an assumption that is correct about 90% of the time :mischief:
anyways: yes civ4 does use python and c++ stuff - so there might be some bug in those files - but unfortunately I don't really know how to dig into that... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom