Indonesia discussion

Was only asking cause the stupid russian wiki thought that Mada=mad.
Yeah, the UA is interesting, I just wanted some more direct but still interesting boni to trade.

Btw.., nice Ava pic you have there..
That's the emblem of the second Indonesian cities right..? :D

yes, it's Surabaya's emblem.

@seancolorado

I just don't like all this ministers, canclers, eunuchs etc. It's like I said already just my opinion.

Was only asking cause the stupid russian wiki thought that Mada=mad.
Yeah, the UA is interesting, I just wanted some more direct but still interesting boni to trade.

yes, it's Surabaya's emblem.

@seancolorado

I just don't like all this ministers, canclers, eunuchs etc. It's like I said already just my opinion.

i'm not a native javanese, so i'm probably wrong, but gajah mada means 'singing elephant'or praising elephant, as madah means religious poems.
And as for surabaya, the 2nd city. It means battleground of shark vs crocodile. As suro=shark and boyo=crocodile.

City list:

1. Jakarta
2. Surabaya

Only two confirmed cities, unless someone saw others?

IIRC.., they are revealing only 2 Indonesian cities..

So.., what are the other 2 spice cities??
I am guessing Yogyakarta and Bandung next.. :D

Of course! Whole mod will be getting seriously revamped just like I did with Gods & Kings. I'm super excited about it!

Yay~!!
I'm already see what I'm doing when playing as Indonesia.. :D
- Build your capital next to Krakatoa..
- Colonizing any other landmass with iron or natural wonder (ehm.., Australia) and turn it into spice island..
- Train your Kris Swordsman and send them to the nearby barbarian..
- Also, build the Candi and the Hanging Garden and then pick the Peace Gardens belief.. (Garden rulezz!! :lol:)
- Purchase the army with faith from the Candi and start to conquer the world.. :cool:

i'm not a native javanese, so i'm probably wrong, but gajah mada means 'singing elephant'or praising elephant, as madah means religious poems.
And as for surabaya, the 2nd city. It means battleground of shark vs crocodile. As suro=shark and boyo=crocodile.

Oooh~
That was a beautiful translation for Mada's name.. :eek2:

yea I'm definitely killing Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, and other cs's in the region, and maybe kill Siam. Then move to Phillipine and Taiwan, ready my force to kill China, Japan, and Korea. ^_^

as madah means religious poems.

Unlikely, since 'madah' came to Indonesian from Arabic. Someone from the /r/indonesia subreddit had it translated as 'Drunk Elephant', I find this more believable if we take it as a variation of the Sanskrit word 'madhu' which means mead/honeywine.

Unlikely, since 'madah' came to Indonesian from Arabic. Someone from the /r/indonesia subreddit had it translated as 'Drunk Elephant', I find this more believable if we take it as a variation of the Sanskrit word 'madhu' which means mead/honeywine.

And now Mada become a drunken master.. :lol:

After googling a moment.., I found the page you're talking about..
Cool.., they even interpret Mada's words..
"You're a lowly insect, and we are very high and mighty."

like i said, i may have been wrong, as i'm not a javanese. And i'm not a language learner. I don't know if it come from sanskrit, but definetely not arabic, coz arabian culture flourished in java about a century after gajah mada time. It just weird that the first word (gajah) is a melayu word and the second (mada) would be sanskrit.
Or 'gajah' also came from sanskrit word?

... It just weird that the first word (gajah) is a melayu word and the second (mada) would be sanskrit.
Or 'gajah' also came from sanskrit word?

IMHO
Old Javanese also have the word "gajah" in their dictionary..
And don't forget, Old Javanese have many words borrowed from Sanskrit.. Maybe "mada" is one of many borrowed words..
So, basically, "Gajah Mada" according to laver consists of Old Javanese word (Austronesian origin) + Old Javanese word (Sankrit origin)..

IMHO
Old Javanese also have the word "gajah" in their dictionary..
And don't forget, Old Javanese have many words borrowed from Sanskrit.. Maybe "mada" is one of many borrowed words..
So, basically, "Gajah Mada" according to laver consists of Old Javanese word (Austronesian origin) + Old Javanese word (Sankrit origin)..

It's definitely Old Javanese. Don't know what that reddit page is going on about

I mean, I'm listening to it more and more. It's definitely Javanese of some old form. How in the world did they find a speaker in North America for that?

They could have gotten away with modern Javanese - hell, even Bahasa Indonesia - and nobody would mind. Good on them though

It's even more baffling when you see Isabella speaking Modern Spanish, for example. Casimir is apparently speaking Modern Polish too.

I guess they are not as eurocentric as people call them!

well actually you can find some dalang (puppet master) that speaks javanese in any form, old, new, royals, anything.
Also in kraton (palace) of Jogjakarta i think there must be some bookmaster who can speaks old javanese.
Now as my last defense, it tried to find some translation of madah in malays, and find nothing. But when i tried 'madah kemuliaan' it gave 'song of glory' and as kemuliaan=glory then you can conclude what madah is in malays.
Still i'm not sure that my theory is right, and 'drunken elephant' is a strong name for a general. Can't complain about it.

And I believe the voice actor is genuine Javanese.. His Javanese accent is so strong..

It's even more baffling when you see Isabella speaking Modern Spanish, for example. Casimir is apparently speaking Modern Polish too.

I guess they are not as eurocentric as people call them!

Hooray..!! They are become Asiacentric..
Now, let's waiting for them to create Indian citystyle for India, Siam, and Indonesia.. :D

And I believe the voice actor is genuine Javanese.. His Javanese accent is so strong..

Hooray..!! They are become Asiacentric..
Now, let's waiting for them to create Indian citystyle for India, Siam, and Indonesia.. :D

Yeah, his Javanese accent is strong.

And he is creative. The way his voice flows, you can tell he can dance. (I know it sounds like I'm bs'ing but I'm completely serious)

And yeah, Southeast Asia need their own citystyle. Not gonna happen since there's only 3 but that would be amazing

I mean, I'm listening to it more and more. It's definitely Javanese of some old form. How in the world did they find a speaker in North America for that?

They could have gotten away with modern Javanese - hell, even Bahasa Indonesia - and nobody would mind. Good on them though
Being a Javanese myself i could confirm that it is an older form of Javanese, probably the version which flourished on the Majapahit's time (fortunately literatures from the era do exist so it is plausible to reconstruct the language)
But judging from the accent, which for myself sounds a little too "rigid" (it could indeed being my own ear's though, since hearing an old Javanese dailly is not such a luxury), IMO it might be an Indonesian speaker (which is not that hard to find) rather than someone who really know old Javanese,

I wonder how high Pontianak will be on the city list :p
City named after a vicious ghost who died in childbirth. Now that's scary XD

Top Bottom