Indonesia discussion

And American merchants made %1000 profit on Ginseng, Furs, and Silver because Swedish custom houses were desperate for it and their European clients would kill for it. Give them a mega + bonus when it comes to Spices while adding tea, obsidian, etc.

See where I'm going with this?

I don't see where you are going with it at all to be honest. This is a game, they pick certain parts of civs to express for gameplay purposes. Indonesia is known to be home to many unique spices hence the UA "Spice Islands". It makes sense the unique luxuries they get are unique spices to their islands.

Whats wrong with Nutmeg?

Well the game is missing huge number of important resources like tea, coffee, apples, potato, rice etc.

They could add food resources without a problem. It would just add more flavor to the game.

Hooray! Very glad to see Nutmeg and hoping for Cloves or possibly Mace as the other one (assuming there are only 2).

I don't have much of a problem with Spices remaining in the game as a separate luxury - after all, even if Indonesia were to get six new unique luxuries, there would still be many, many different spices in the world not represented by any of those.

I'm thinking they'll be getting three unique luxes; one to trade, one to keep for each city.

It would be a little silly to have mace alongside nutmeg: they both come from the same plant (just different parts of the nutmeg fruit).

It would be a little silly to have mace alongside nutmeg: they both come from the same plant (just different parts of the nutmeg fruit).

I know, but they are both treated as different spices in cooking, and since only Indonesia will have access to either of them, I don't think it's particularly silly at all. If both were introduced as new resources available on the map - where one could spawn without the other - that would be a different matter.

Another alternative option might be Long Pepper...

Is any particular island associated with nutmeg & mace and cloves?

I have found after a quick google search that 'Banda Besar' seems to be associated with Nutmeg so maybe the city that gives you nutmeg will always be named 'Banda Besar', which would be a nice feature, and two other names for the two other island cities.

I know, but they are both treated as different spices in cooking, and since only Indonesia will have access to either of them, I don't think it's particularly silly at all. If both were introduced as new resources available on the map - where one could spawn without the other - that would be a different matter.

Another alternative option might be Long Pepper...

Sorry, I wasn't clear: Going on the speculation that there will be three unique luxes (two of each per city) I think it would be silly if the first city on another continent gave nutmeg and the second or third gave mace - since they're both from the same plant it wouldn't make sense that they would be produced in separate cities.

If I understand correctly, mace is the fruit of the nutmeg seed? Odd that they would be two different resources.
EDIT: Nevermind, I obviously wasn't the first to notice this.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: Going on the speculation that there will be three unique luxes (two of each per city) I think it would be silly if the first city on another continent gave nutmeg and the second or third gave mace - since they're both from the same plant it wouldn't make sense that they would be produced in separate cities.

If that turns out to be the correct interpretation, then sure, I see your point. I don't think the apparent silliness would bother me either way, however - at least it's better than the other idea that was floating around at one point, i.e. that the 'unique luxuries' would just be random luxuries which hadn't spawned on the map.

In G&K, Jakarta has its own music after the "horn of the Mercantile City States". It uses the Gamelan. Firaxis obviously knows about the Gamelan and will most likely (assuredly, even), use it as Indonesia's leader screen music.

Well the game is missing huge number of important resources like tea, coffee, apples, potato, rice etc.

They could add food resources without a problem. It would just add more flavor to the game.

The more resources are added to a game, the harder it is to balance. It would mean that there are maybe 3 places to work a single resource on a map, because you can't crowd the resources. Thus, the more resources, the less tiles they will be featured on. And you have to keep more tiles without resources than with, or else it gets to "normal" to have resources. And in the end, it gets even easier with more luxes, and i dont care whether Im getting +1 food from bananas or wheat.

The more resources are added to a game, the harder it is to balance. It would mean that there are maybe 3 places to work a single resource on a map, because you can't crowd the resources. Thus, the more resources, the less tiles they will be featured on. And you have to keep more tiles without resources than with, or else it gets to "normal" to have resources. And in the end, it gets even easier with more luxes, and i dont care whether Im getting +1 food from bananas or wheat.

Those are problems with adding resources to the map, not the game.
Each map has a limited # of luxury resources, and it leaves some off the map.
So if coffee, tea, tobacco, hemp, opium, amber, jade, obsidian, etc. were added, the # and distribution of resources on the map would be unchanged (except maybe if the balance between terrain types or activating techs was upset.)

As for bonus resources... Gameplay is completely unaffected by whether a map has 20 sources of wheat or 2 wheat, 2 rice, 2 barley, 2 corn, 2 mullet, 2 potatoes, etc. as long as they all get the granary bonus.

I don't know why, but I'm seeing a great way to do some serious damage to Indonesia with the world congress. Seeing how my first game will be against all the new civs, I think Indonesia will be my first enemy in the expansion.

Trade embargo against their unique resources I would assume?

I am not sure if other civs will like that, especially if they are trading for them.

Trade embargo against their unique resources I would assume?

I am not sure if other civs will like that, especially if they are trading for them.

You can just bribe your friends with cash, because you'll be filthy rich, and maybe even float a copy of your assorted spices to your enemies to stop them from banning it! :p

Top Bottom