Polynesia in BNW

Silverman6083

History-Lover
Polynesia was always my favorite civ, but people always say its only good in archipelago or tiny islands. But as long as your on a map with water i find you can be a substantial force. Huge lines of Moai+Sistine Chapel+Hotel+Airport+National Visitor's Center= ALL THE TOURISM. Not to mention lots of culture.

I was expecting a screenshot, I love screenies. Suddenly: :crazyeye: . :lol::lol::lol:

To add to the discussion: I haven't really tried them yet, but they seem very powerful for the cultural victory indeed.

They're powerful for sure, but I snagged a culture vic over them with Brazil. Have you tried Brazil? Which seems better for culture?

They're powerful for sure, but I snagged a culture vic over them with Brazil. Have you tried Brazil? Which seems better for culture?

Yeah they were my second civ i tried (after venice), i find Polynesia more strong for flat out culture and tourism, but Brazil can put out more overall if you put out lots of golden ages, which can easily happen via soldiers and artist spam

Brazil is a tourism monster late game, but I found their jungle start bias more of a handicap to get them rolling.

Polynesia on the other hand is much more versatile. Unless you are on a Pangaea map, you can usually find several nice peninsular, preferably 2 squares wide, to settle your culture cities. Those peninsular with maoi can easily output 4-6 culture per tile, making them the best improvement you can build for culture victory.

Personally, I think Polynesia is better on large islands than tiny islands. (Standard size map)

That is because even on a large island map script there will be many places where the island is 2 tiles thick.

Polynesia is very strong. They don't need to go for a cultural victory. They can win any way, they are good at scouting so can settle near luxury resources and natural wonders, they can trade, and influence city states. The Maori is not strong but they start with him. They get a bonus to fighting near their stone statues, but mainly I just find they get off to such a good start you can choose any path to victory, even domination.

The new exploration social policy tree is pretty much made for them.

Nobody's mentioned that you pretty much always get to host the first World Congress on a continents type map.

So overall question: Where would you rank Polynesia?
God Tier?
Top Tier?
Mid Tier?
Low Tier?
Trash Tier?

Top Tier. They're not as powerful as the likes of Arabia, the Zulus, or Assyria, but they are a great Civ to play.

Agreed, i think their very powerful indeed, if properly used

Top Bottom