Papua-New Guinea Hit by Whooping Cough Outbreak, 16 Dead

Azash

Kings of Shadow
http://abcasiapacific.com/news/stories_to/1657771.htm

Whooping cough outbreak kills 16 in Papua New Guinea 07/06/2006 21:04:00

In Papua New Guinea 16 people have died from a severe outbreak of whooping cough in PNG's Sepik region.

As Firmin Nanol reports, four children are the latest victims and health authorities are working to prevent the disease spreading.

Children under 5 years are the worst affected in very remote areas of the Sepik provinces with no proper medical supplies available.

The New Zealand government has given $US17,000 to Save the Children Fund to purchase medical supplies and airlift health workers.

Doctor Stenard Hiashiri, who is in charge of the treatment operation, says a chopper is making 10 trips a day taking health workers to treat those affected in remote areas.

He says another $US2,235 is needed to station a nursing officer to monitor and treat people in worst affected areas.

Whooping cough? I'd be more worried about the cannibals. :eek:

(I'm in a mood to pick on the South Pacific region tonight.)

No, this is just propaganda put out by the leftist media.

Cheezy the Wiz said:
this stuff still exists?!?!

Actually, someone at my school had whooping cough two years ago. He missed most of our sophmore year.

They announce it like it's some kind of horror, when the true horror is the government of Papua New Guinea, for failing to innoculate enough children with the Pertussis vaccine.

The whooping cough vaccine is not noted for being the most effective vaccine in the world, either.

I thought the Whooping Cough has been eraticated? :confused:

Azash said:
I've had it, as well. So, apparently not.
Now I am wondering what makes a whooping caugh different from the common caugh.

Cuivienen said:
The whooping cough vaccine is not noted for being the most effective vaccine in the world, either.

Yes, that's why you hear of so many outbreaks all over the world.

Let me ask you a pointed question: do you have any idea what in the world you're talking about?

WhOOping. It gets its name from the "whoop" sound victims make when coughing in later stages of the disease.

Top Bottom