When you cough at night with your eyes closed do you see two blue-white spots?

When you cough at night with your eyes closed do you see two blue-white spots?

• OMG! I do!!

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • No, I think you have a disease of the eye and, uh, cough.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • No, I think you're crazy.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • This makes me one poll-vote closer to my daily goal...

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters

cgannon64

BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!
Worthless thread, number...3.

I've always wondered if I'm alone in this phenomenon. Does anyone else see two blue-white spots when they cough? Almost reflections of your eyes? They're not really reflections, but because they're two of them, and your eyes are closed, I can guess they are related.

Well?

this is even better than the tea in the fridge

I can't say I do. I sometimes get a sort of flickering pale-blue lightning effect around the edges of the field of view when very tired, though. There's also a nice little static-style effect easily seen with closed eyes or when staring at things, though I suspect everyone has that.

Halcyon: Yeah, I think everyone sees some lights, especially if lying with eyes closed in the sun.

But I want to know: When its pitch dark, and your eyes are closed, and you cough, do you see two lights? Kind of in the lower section of your eyes?

SanPellegrino: I do what I can. :)

I get a bunch of small little white-blue specks that just flitter around in my vision. What the hell is that?

Anything that puts pressure on your eyes will cause this to happen. Its like when you rub your eyes. However, nobody ever notices this unless theyre coughing in the dark because theyre smoking something;)

SanPellegrino said:
this is even better than the tea in the fridge

Theres always demand for spam... :mischief:

I don't rememer seeing any lights when I cough and I've had a cold recently...

Godwynn said:
I get a bunch of small little white-blue specks that just flitter around in my vision. What the hell is that?

The hell with that it is! :rolleyes:

I don't follow you HamaticBabylon.

Dumb pothead said:
Anything that puts pressure on your eyes will cause this to happen. Its like when you rub your eyes. However, nobody ever notices this unless theyre coughing in the dark because theyre smoking something;)

How dare you accuse me of that!

You should know that I can't afford that sort of thing...:p

Its from all the damn dust in the room. ;) I literally have a pile of old things no one wants to discard from my old house sitting next to my bed...:eek:

Those swirling smudges of light you see when youre in the dark? If you concentrate, you can control their movements. Its a good way to meditate. I can usually turn them into receding smoke rings:crazyeye:

Thats gross, you literally have a pile of crap?

cgannon64 said:
How dare you accuse me of that!

You should know that I can't afford that sort of thing...:p

I can see the new anti drug ads: Just say no to drugs...Theyre too expensive!

:lol:

Your optic nerves are aggrevated becasue of the rapid build up and releasement of pressure that occurs when you cough. Blood is forced rapidly through your smaller vessels, filling them while at the same time your muscles are contracting the same vessels. Usually this results in a moment of "flushed cheeks". In regards to your eyes, the membranes and nerves are more delicate, so your pupils quickly gather in the ambient light (what little there is), and there is moment of disconent between your superior vena cava and your retinal receptors.

This pause in time is sustained as a burn, or after image of the light your pupils were able to gather. Also, I am winging this here, making up my response to you in a half arsed, semi-pseudo-quasi-intelligent sort of way, but in actuallity, it's just pressure.

And as for those who thing I know what I am talking about, there is no reason why spam has to sound . . . .spammy. Anything looks good if you take the time to dress it up.

My 2 cents

Dumb pothead said:
Hmm, that's a good explanation.

But what about when you open your eyes when you're still asleep? I do this frequently -- I think I'm awake, but I'm not, I'm asleep, and try to open my eyes in real life while I'm still asleep and see two black cresents. I did this once and I could swear that there was an owl 2 inches from my face.

Also, does anyone see little circles with dots in them when you look at (normally, but not exclusively) a clear blue sky? They sort of float down with time, and if you're careful not to jerk-move your eyes (i.e., if you just let your eyes naturally go downwards with them), your eyes naturally go downwards with them. And when you jerk-move your eyes, they jump to the place you now are looking at and start moving downwards. I told this to all of my friends and they laughed at me :(.

I don't think I have this phenomenon, but once when I was half-asleep I saw a flash of red lightling-ish stuff traveling horizontally within my eye and I heard a zapping sound. When I opened my eyes there was nothing unusual. It scared the crap out of me.

Mise said:
Also, does anyone see little circles with dots in them when you look at (normally, but not exclusively) a clear blue sky? They sort of float down with time, and if you're careful not to jerk-move your eyes (i.e., if you just let your eyes naturally go downwards with them), your eyes naturally go downwards with them. And when you jerk-move your eyes, they jump to the place you now are looking at and start moving downwards. I told this to all of my friends and they laughed at me :(.

OMG YES!!

@ dumb pothead: Yep, show pictures of addicts and say: "If this guy hadn't gotten hooked on crack, he could have his second Toyota by now!"

WillJ said:
I don't think I have this phenomenon, but once when I was half-asleep I saw a flash of red lightling-ish stuff traveling horizontally within my eye and I heard a zapping sound. When I opened my eyes there was nothing unusual. It scared the crap out of me.

Dude, that means God talked to you.

Seriously. Read VALIS.

;)

Vanadorn said:
And as for those who thing I know what I am talking about, there is no reason why spam has to sound . . . .spammy. Anything looks good if you take the time to dress it up.

My 2 cents
Using terms like 'superior vena cava' helps alot:thumbsup:

Top Bottom