[TOTPP] Transport mechanics

TheNamelessOne

Warlord
For a future version of TOTPP, I'm planning to rewrite transport mechanics to allow air/ground transports besides the existing naval ones. However, key mechanics will have to change to make this work. I could use some input on this from veteran players and scenario designers alike.

For example, loading and unloading should probably be done differently. Currently the domain difference between unit and transport makes it clear (ground units moving into an ocean tile), but there will be no such thing for e.g. trucks transporting troops.

Also, scenario designers will probably want to limit the types of units some transports can carry. Not all air transports will be able to carry all ground units for instance. This will have to be expressed in the rules in some way.

Maybe this can be done by defining transport groups, which can then be associated with a transporting unit.

Something like:

Code:
@TRANSPORTGROUP
name=Ground 1
Infantry
[other units]

@TRANSPORTS
APC, Ground 1
[...]

That's just what popped into my head, what else would have to change?

An additional order in the drop-down orders menu (with a hot-key if possible) for Load/Unload would work for me. Units ordered to load would ideally perma-sleep unless selected (not sure how you would implement this) and ordered to unload. I guess if they unload they can stay in the same square and won't move with the transporting unit unless ordered to load again.

A section in the rules file for the types of units that can carry, the types that can carry units and how many units they can hold that would be simple to edit works for me too.

Types of units:

Land transport - (IE Truck/APC etc) - Carrying ground units (IE Artillery or Infantry)

Land transport - (IE Mobile SAM/Artillery) - Carrying missiles (IE SAM or artillery shells)

Air transport - (IE Helicopter/Hercules) - Carrying land units (IE Airborne Infantry)

Air transport - (IE Bomber/Modern Jet Fighter) - Carrying missiles (IE AAM or bombs)

Sea transport - (IE Aircraft carrier) - Carrying a specified number of air units (IE less than 20)

Sea transport - (IE HMS Ocean) - Carrying both land and air units (IE Helicopters & Marines)

Is this the kind of thing you were looking for?

Based on McMonkey's list (which as far as I can tell covers all the possible combinations), would a truck carrying an artillery unit also carry the shells carried by the artillery unit?

I'm not certain what are the limits the coding allows you but I imagine the parameters should exclude unrealistic combinations like a truck or plane carrying a ship. Could you also limit the types of ground units a land transport could carry, i.e. prevent a truck from carrying a tank unit for example?

I also agree that the orders menu is the way to go for loading/unloading. You don't want your transport unit picking up units you don't want them to as they are moving (like the aircraft carrier does with air units).

I don't know, I COULD see a use for a ground unit carrying ships which itself carries land units, like, for instance, a Voyageur setup within an Age of Exploration scenario. However, such instances would be VERY niche indeed.

An additional order in the drop-down orders menu (with a hot-key if possible) for Load/Unload would work for me. Units ordered to load would ideally perma-sleep unless selected (not sure how you would implement this) and ordered to unload. I guess if they unload they can stay in the same square and won't move with the transporting unit unless ordered to load again.

A section in the rules file for the types of units that can carry, the types that can carry units and how many units they can hold that would be simple to edit works for me too.

Types of units:

Land transport - (IE Truck/APC etc) - Carrying ground units (IE Artillery or Infantry)

Land transport - (IE Mobile SAM/Artillery) - Carrying missiles (IE SAM or artillery shells)

Air transport - (IE Helicopter/Hercules) - Carrying land units (IE Airborne Infantry)

Air transport - (IE Bomber/Modern Jet Fighter) - Carrying missiles (IE AAM or bombs)

Sea transport - (IE Aircraft carrier) - Carrying a specified number of air units (IE less than 20)

Sea transport - (IE HMS Ocean) - Carrying both land and air units (IE Helicopters & Marines)

Is this the kind of thing you were looking for?

How about hold space for multi-domain transports? I.e. a sea transport having a hold space of X land units and Y air units? Currently, there would be no way to express that, since hold space is a single number. Would something like this be useful?

Based on McMonkey's list (which as far as I can tell covers all the possible combinations), would a truck carrying an artillery unit also carry the shells carried by the artillery unit?

I don't know, I COULD see a use for a ground unit carrying ships which itself carries land units, like, for instance, a Voyageur setup within an Age of Exploration scenario. However, such instances would be VERY niche indeed.

The "transport carrying transports" idea is interesting indeed. I would have to recursively move transported unit stacks. I hadn't thought about it yet, so thanks for the suggestion!

I'm not certain what are the limits the coding allows you but I imagine the parameters should exclude unrealistic combinations like a truck or plane carrying a ship. Could you also limit the types of ground units a land transport could carry, i.e. prevent a truck from carrying a tank unit for example?

Yes, this would be possible with the @TRANSPORTGROUP section. You'd be able to create lists of allowed units and assign them to a transporting unit.

How about hold space for multi-domain transports? I.e. a sea transport having a hold space of X land units and Y air units? Currently, there would be no way to express that, since hold space is a single number. Would something like this be useful?

That would be fantastic. I'm sure it would be useful in ways I haven't yet considered. Civ2 is an amazing creation and to this day I'm still learning new things all the time. ToTPP just expands the possibilities into new uncharted territory.

I am OK with the change, as long as we can keep the vanilla civ2 as well.

I'd prefer this version of TOTPP to be an optional offshoot, rather than force us to adopt a new way of playing...

Given TOTPP's optional patches, I reckon things should be OK...:)

If these new additions are anything like the existing ToTPP options then they would be optional add-ons that have no effect on the game unless you choose to add the,. If you don't want to make use of them then simply leave the relevant checkbox on the launcher un-ticked and don't alter the rules file. :goodjob:

Top Bottom