RevolutionDCM for BTS

@glider

The modified default number of players per map size might be good for DCM as it almost forces intensive war so early. It however may defeat the purpose for Revolution as it leaves no space for barbs to have cities and doesn't allow civs to expand early and get large enough for revolutions to start kicking in. Actually for best experience with Revolution it is recommended to start the game with less players than the default number, and allow the world to get filled with new civs spawning through either rebellious factions or barbs cities.

The problem in the CvPath.py.
If the game isn't installed in the default folder (i.e. I can't do it due the disck structure) some of the interface isn't loading (it's from alerts mod in revolutions 1.4 I guess).
I tried to place the old cvpath.py in the python folder for the revolutions 1.4, and it works.
Fix it please if you have a time.

@EKmek

Two files do actually need to be merged rather than copied over from VD to RevolutionDCM. The unitInfos.xml and artdefines_unit.xml. I merged both files. You may like to include them in the zipped xml folder for others to use.

You have "CIV4UnitInfos.xml.BAK" in the zip folder. Is it intentional?

@Kalimakhus

is that bak a back up or should it replace the file? I did copy the artdefines entry for the atomic bomber did i miss something else for DCM?

thx fo rthe help.

@EKmek

Two files do actually need to be merged rather than copied over from VD to RevolutionDCM. The unitInfos.xml and artdefines_unit.xml. I merged both files. You may like to include them in the zipped xml folder for others to use.

@Glider

I merged RevolutionDCM as an Add-On for Rise of Mankind (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=238801). Thanks a lot for making this possible and easier. :goodjob:

The add-on can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9087

Thanks. The merge still does take me a few hours to make happen properly so appreciate it. I'm glad it works too! Relative to a game of civ (game I'm playing now has been going for 100 hours), modding time is just a drop in the civ "time consuming but fun" ocean :)

As for Deon, once it clarifies exactly what needs to happen regarding the Python error, I'll post a fix.

Archers are a tad strong...
I haven't experienced the bombing mission yet...
Raging Barbs with DCM is a bit much though, and without the Great Wall...
To me, inducing chaos is what this mod is all about.....
I just started a game this morning as Alexander with a large map, low water level on Continents with only 10 AI preset......
This mod really does bring some excitement back to the game...

At least it looks like the outright bugs in archer bombardment are gone if you have gotton through looks like two early games with this mod. That's good.

As for bombing missions etc, I haven't actually played a late game yet either with this latest release. However during testing of it on autoplay, I noticed that it seems more stable and just possibly, better utilised by the AI (only a vague perception). At this stage I'm inclined to leave these options on.

Raging barbarians. Wooow. Heavy. The other issue is that minor civs are immune to the Great Wall aren't they? This seems to make the whole issue about barbarian defense more complicated....

You probably are already aware that Terra maps are an exceptionally good option? That way you get to play two different map styles in the one game. A crowded old world and a new world that is left to the barbarians...

Yeah the enjoyment levels have definetly gone up. Revolutions is very cool. Late game you even get "Osama Bin Laden" effects happening. If you conquer a nation, a guerilla uprising can happen led by the conquered leader. These guerilla's have no territory it seems and can even dissapear from view. You have to get them because they incite civil unrest in the conquered territories that are still loyal to the guerillas. But because they have no territory they are hard to track down and cause a lot of Revolution troubles!

Such a beauty. Just be careful on your health and your social life. You have to learn how to balance civ with the rest of your life otherwise it can become a serious addiction issue worse than alcohol!

Cheers.

@glider

The modified default number of players per map size might be good for DCM as it almost forces intensive war so early. It however may defeat the purpose for Revolution as it leaves no space for barbs to have cities and doesn't allow civs to expand early and get large enough for revolutions to start kicking in. Actually for best experience with Revolution it is recommended to start the game with less players than the default number, and allow the world to get filled with new civs spawning through either rebellious factions or barbs cities.

You probably know about Terra maps? Very cool. Good point with the various starting options. There are many starting possibilities with Revolutions! I know someone who is achieving fun games starting only with themselves and domination victory turned off!

Terra - Huge - 4 to 6 Starting civs. These are my best settings for revolution. They gave me a couple of exciting full of action games. Raging Barbs? Well, if you got a solid heart. Tried it twice and out lived it once.

Let's not forget the earth map JDog prepared based on Rhye's map. With 4 civs starting it is quite fun. I recommend it for everybody.

i saw that the revolutinion.ini and the DCM.ini files have differnt options but the RevolutionDCM.ini doesn't have those. does that mean it won't work right? (the game started fine, but that doesn't mean the mod is working as intended)

Civ seems to automatically generate the ini files. The RevolutionDCM ini file is useless and can be ignored I think that even goes for the DCM ini file. This does not not apply to the Revolutions ini file! That one is packed with stuff. Dales real configuration file is the XML file you probably already know about.
Cheers.

Terra - Huge - 4 to 6 Starting civs. These are my best settings for revolution.

That was my choice for a long time. Just start with four to six of the ancient civs every game (Egypt etc etc) and then watch the others spawn. You then have some traceability and can see how the ancient civs progress compared to the spawned civs. I'm currently doing twelve nations on a huge Terra map to start out with on aggressive ai. I kinda like the chance for a bit of crowding early on....

Aggressive ai has to be an important consideration for one fact. Corporations. Once you learn how to manage corporations, the human player has a huge advantage over the AI late game because of corporate resource trading the AI doesn't fully comprehend. With aggressive AI turned on, the AI is generally more difficult to trade with. This makes the hoarding of corporate friendly resources difficult to achieve because the AI's are simply less likely to trade because of their uncooperative approach to diplomacy. Thus the benefits of corporations are significantly more difficult for the human to exploit.

Aggressive ai has to be an important consideration for another reason. The space race. I think late game the ai's are just not real good at organising the space race compared to a human. However with aggressive ai on, the AI is generally very well prepared militarily if it needs to use it. The military pressures are so high, that it forces the human to have to divert production to military just for the sake of the *potential* for war. Thus the space race too is more difficult for the human to pull off and is more time consuming. Also, armies are expensive and this makes the end game just more difficult generally. I'm referring to Monarch level.

From my perspective, the main weakness of the AI is late game strategy. If I can make it more difficult for the human late game compared to the AI, that leads to better games....

Aggressive AI is a pretty good option. Sometimes all it actually means is that a civ might have a bit more tendancy to declare on you. However often on the higher difficulty levels when the human is pushed to the limit on defense during the midgame, the AI does very well having a little bit extra tendancy to attack.

The main drawback of aggressive AI could be culture and domestic stability under Revolutions. I'm not 100% whether an AI will still attempt a culture win on aggressive AI. I think so but not sure. Culture is an important aspect for the AI to create stable large civs under Revolutions.

Definetly I can say that on aggressive AI the the AI will still go for a wonder victory, building cultural wonders for the sake of their magnificence. Now that is not overtly "aggressive" so it's a good sign for the aggressive ai option I think.

Whatever, plenty of chaos is fun.

Keep in mind that I don't play a lot of civ (yeah right!!!).....

I only roughly finish four games to the end each year (that's roughly 300-400 hours of play per year and two to three months per game). I basically try every which way I know how to win on Monarch no matter what the starting position is (that is probably impossible and tundra starts aren't much fun!) Never give up if you are in the top ten nations. Once the late game starts, you can catch up quite a few places. First place is the goal of course.

Cheers

PS) another great option is random personalities. After a while playing civ, it becomes more fun to try and second guess a leaders personality from their behaviour rather than know what it is straight up. Surprisingly, random personalities doesn't seem to detract too much from the AI's strength, and sometime by fluke, can make an AI very strong, stronger than vanilla.

Playing a game as the dutch, I've reached the late 17th Century, and so far all has gone smoothly as far as functionality is concerned. Suddenly, as end my turn just before I discover Rifling (linked? I know not) the screen goes black, the game closes and I get a 'Beyond the Sword has had to close' report. I tried reloading and playing through again, and still the same bug.

I have a fully functioning computer which meets recommended requirements, and I have never experienced such an error with mods before.

I hope you can help, this mod combines two of my favourite mods.

Here's a copy of a save just before the bug:

Attachments

• DCMRev_Error.CivBeyondSwordSave
    460.5 KB · Views: 205
Tboy .. I assume that you tried reloading the game and still got the same error. Try to disable some parts of DCM in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml. Start with Stack Attack and if doesn't work disable other components as well. In many cases you can proceed with your game.

I have to disable parts of it? Curses... hope it's a minor one. Thanks anyway.

After reloading to an earlier stage of the game and playing through, no error seems to have occurred. Must have been some irritating coincidence. Thanks very much for the advice though.

is it possible to choose the components to use? , is there a configuration file?

Thnaks for this add-on, it's super.:)

@dasvidania

For DCM you can turn parts on/off from GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file in Assets\xml\ folder. Open the file in notepad or better download the free Notepad++. Either case there is a tag for each component that enables or disables it. There are also some option for further tweaking how the components work.

For Revolution there is Revolution.ini file. The file has many options along with very detailed explanation of what they do. You can turn whole components off and on again and you can change the way they work in several ways.

@glider

Very nice write up!! Aggressive AI is supposed to cause the AI to build more units as a general rule. This is at least what Firaxis guys said about it in BTS. The AI will still seek to get cultural and spaceship victories.

On another side, Revolution 1.41 is out any ETA of the next RevolutionDCM. The new release solves several issues which promises more stable games.

Top Bottom