Installing Dune Wars and Installation Issues

Deliverator

Graphical Hackificator
Before installing the mod make sure you have Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword and the official patch 3.19 installed.

Installing the Mod

Download Latest Version from Welcome Thread

The download contains an executable which should install the mod for you.

Incremental Patches

The main installs of Dune Wars are step releases, such as 1.2, 1.3, etc. However, due to the rapid development of the mod there are numerous incremental patches 1.2.1, 1.2.2, etc released by those working on the mod. Current patches, when available, will be linked in the Welcome Thread

Optional Add-On

Music Pack

Known Issues - Dune Wars 1.6.3

1. If you are running the mod in Vista and are experiencing problems, try right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator. Multiple Vista users have said the mod only works this way.

The ocean animation has only been removed in the latest patch 1.3.8.

can you give me the link to the latest patch?
I'm interested in helping you with the mod but for now i can only tell you some things from the dune book...

This is a really odd problem. Ok, I zipped the Version 1.4 file right into ...BeyondtheSword\Mods. Then I used the Version 1.4.8 installer. At the end of that install, I checked "Run Dune Reduced". K, so that worked. It loaded the mod fine from there.
Then I tried later to load Dune Reduced from the "Advanced->Load A Mod" option in regular BTS 3.19. While it was loading, I had an error pop up and it CTDed.

So ya know, I currently have the new Windows7, which is basically a Vista which doesn't have all the drivers. (For example, I can't use my HP printer on this PC yet. Have to use my other PC.) I don't know if that'd be an issue, but I figure it could be.

Not sure about windows 7 but in windows vista 64 some games have to be in the folder "program files(x86)" (instead of "program files") to work. Civ4 isn't one of these though, it works fine in a generic "games" folder.. could be that this was changed for win7?

I seldom use the "load mod" under "advanced" in regular bts, instead I've made the short cut at the desktop for every mod. this works great and is even faster. I don't change the Civ4Config.ini though.

you may copy another civ4 shortcut and change the line under "target" (with a right click you may choose properties of the shortcut) to
c:\programs(or wherever it is)...Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\dune reduced

I've got no idea if this helps you, but feel free to try :)

Not sure about windows 7 but in windows vista 64 some games have to be in the folder "program files(x86)" (instead of "program files") to work. Civ4 isn't one of these though, it works fine in a generic "games" folder.. could be that this was changed for win7?

I seldom use the "load mod" under "advanced" in regular bts, instead I've made the short cut at the desktop for every mod. this works great and is even faster. I don't change the Civ4Config.ini though.

you may copy another civ4 shortcut and change the line under "target" (with a right click you may choose properties of the shortcut) to
c:\programs(or wherever it is)...Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\dune reduced

I've got no idea if this helps you, but feel free to try :)

In Windows7, there is only 1 Program Files. Anyway, I will try your method. Thanks.

Edit: Damn, that didn't work.

I suppose you have already tried open the short cut in a compatibility mode, so it seems to be something with the way win7 uses civ4.

maybe you should try also what Deliverator said:
1. Go to the C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\_Civ4Config shortcut, and, in the file, change the "Mod = 0" line to "Mod = Mods\dune reduced".

on the other hand, it should work even withot a shortcut from the load a mod menu. it does not therefore it has to be a problem with win7.

regarding to this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=328103 it seems to be a problem with some files that are saved at 'my documents' or with the registry - after a complee delete and reinstall of BtS, it worked according to him flawless on win7. he doesn't talk about mod's though.

Well, that's all good and nice. But I'm not deleting and reinstalling. I have modding files attached to this PC's CivIV. I'll just install it on my Vista.

I dunno if it's the right thread to ask:

I have an error trying to download the mod v. 1.5. A 404 error occurs regardless of the browser I try. Is it possible to provide another mirror?

Are you able to see the main web server containing the file, http://jendaveallen.com ? This contains my family's public web pages. If you are not able to see this server directly, please contact your ISP. I have checked it is online today.

There must be something with my ISP apparently. However, I am now downloading from the alternative mirror Deliverator have pointed me to. Thanks!

The mod doesn't work on my pc.
The Main screen, and all menus, don't display a word, I've just got the worm picture.

I've got BTS and patch 3.19 installed.
Maybe is it a vista issue ?
Do other vista users already have had such problem ?

The mod doesn't work on my pc.
The Main screen, and all menus, don't display a word, I've just got the worm picture
I bet you're using another language than English. Set your language to English and the mod should work.

Cheers, LT.

It did not work for me either until I started to run it as administrator on my pc with vista.

Hopfully someone can help me out here. Huge civ and dune fan, so this mod looks like it would be right up my alley. When loading the mod, or direct shortcut to mod, it gets to "init MXL (uncached)" then windows closes it. Any suggestions/ideas on whats going on?

Do you have BTS updated to patch 3.19?
I think this is often caused by having the wrong BTS patch.

Top Bottom