trade routes to city states

Soronery

Prince
Why do these exist? They are generally seem inferior compared to any other sort of trade route. Is there some sort of hidden benefit to them?

They serve a few purposes. If you don't want to buff up an opposing civ with the return-route income (or BPT), or if you don't have civs to trade with. Also there are the trade route city-state quests, and the Freedom tenant Treaty Organization which gives you a ton of influence each turn you have a route active.

1) They don't help your enemy.
2) With a freedom tenant they improve your relations with the CS.
3) There are CS request for a trade route that can help your relations.
4) Frequently they can be in a more defendable location than to remaining major states.
5) Usefull when you have no friends due to warmongering.

Interesting....

In general, by mid-game when I'm not longer starved for cash I completely move all of my trade to City States. I see no reason to give opposing Civs any more money and if I don't really NEED the money, I'm not losing much.

I think the Science 'trade' REALLY needs to ramps up in order to encourage inter-Civ trade a bit more. For example, in my last game, I was making 439 Science/turn at one point. And trade routes with other Civs would net me 1-3 more depending on how many techs they had that I didn't etc. Really? 1-3? Why bother?

On the other hand, in the EARLY game, those bonus few science points are a real help. If you're only making 20-30 since, getting 1-3 more on a few routes is very handy indeed.

So, IMO, the science should scale up through the game to keep things interesting. If I'm making in the 400s, the bonuses should probably be at least 10-15 to be meaningful.

I trade with a civ that I want as a friend and trade to CS to keep gold away from civ's I dont like.

1) They don't help your enemy.
2) With a freedom tenant they improve your relations with the CS.
3) There are CS request for a trade route that can help your relations.
4) Frequently they can be in a more defendable location than to remaining major states.
5) Usefull when you have no friends due to warmongering.

6) You can trade with city states even if you have been hit with an embargo by the world congress.

Of course they can also embargo city states, but that is two votes instead of just one to fully kill your money trade routes.

Top Bottom