Beyond the Monument Episode 20 - Entering the Brave New World! (discussion thread)

I wonder if tourism will really be an improvement on the old culture system. I fear its just something new to "grind" and not fun.

From the stream, MadDjinn was able to do some really cool things with tourism. Causing great unhappiness in other civs and even revolutions because of it.

A peaceful player could still use the power of rock and roll to take over the world. Seems really fun to me.

It looked like most of his trade routes were domestic.

The old culture system was overly insular and deadeningly rote. For me it was even less fun than the DV, which at least had the excitement of a vote. The new culture system seems to be the most complex of the VC (with a DV coming in second).

okay. I admit I didn't read that much. this is what i want to figure out when I play the game first. what is the logic behind tourism... and does it work.

Sorry, this is not how it works in G&K. The free pop from a ruin is just 1 pop point and settles in a random city, if you have more than one city (appears usually to be the closest city to the ruin). You do not get 1 pop in each city.

Oh, sorry, than it might have just happened the same turn with the natural growth of my capital. I once suddenly had two three pop cities and it was not even turn 20. (That was spain + the gold bonus of course)

Yeah, I've got similar impression. Seems like infinite happiness and tile based gold removal hurt the AI to the point it's even less competitive than before. I'd be very glad to be proven wrong, though.

Any changes to ranged vs. melee balance?

Yeah, I saw that but I had forgotten to comment on that (since I was overwhelmed by all of the new screens and mechanics). I know a lot of people love that Happiness can become irrelevant in a game (one of the more unfortunate changes from G&K) but it does appear more of a mismatch now with the change that can affect AI's happiness levels. I hope it's not the case that if one decides to ignore tourism/culture (and the AI can actually ramp up tourism), you'll have +40 Happiness instead of +80.

This was a water map, which has never been the AI's strong point, admittedly (and thus, not a balanced map). But they were decidedly out-teched in this game which made it like Artillery facing Longswordsmen. However, I did notice that the AI were using quite a air power on Mad but Quick Combat made it hard to see what kind of damage any of his units, air or naval, were taking. Military superiority will trump everything and Mad know show to achieve that.

I also suspect that 6-8 ranged units and 1 melee unit would still be the most effective unless you are facing a swarm of some of these newer UUs.

But while any one aspect of the game may not be as balanced as we like, I think even this demo shows that you do have to pay more attention to everything or else you will find yourself in a bind at higher difficulties, esp. in getting behind militarily and you don't have gold for replacement units or allying with city-states.

This model can be improved upon, esp. if they can go back to vanilla-level Happiness.

Did anyone watching the stream pick up on how significant Portugal's UA was in adding extra gold? I saw the trading window open up, but I didn't see how much of the gold was attributable to the UA.

It looked like most of his trade routes were domestic.

If you watch the video around the 40:30 mark, I scroll over a lot of the trade routes in the side panel.

and most of my trade routes were to other civs.

Thought on happiness (+40 v. +80)

The demo was a water map... Likely to be good for :) (Only happy building policy pre-ideology is coastal buildings)
And MD was winning as a non "extra wide" civ.

If you watch the video around the 40:30 mark, I scroll over a lot of the trade routes in the side panel.

and most of my trade routes were to other civs.

That's what I'd looked at, but I wasn't clear how much of the gold was attributable to Portugal's UA. I suppose I don't know the particular mechanics for how much resource diversity contributes to a trade route's worth.

If I've still got your ear, how would you say the changes to AI gold generation have changed the flow of the game? The difficulty in getting settlers bought is an interesting change, and I like how it makes for a harder choice between Tradition or Liberty.

Btw, thanks for the stream. I was surprised at how exciting the new culture game looks. Portugal is still my first choice, but Brazil or France will definitely be second.

Finally got to watching it, but I don't think you announced what the promotion on Comanche Riders were :p. You said they had 4 movement and said you'd look in the Civilopedia since that didn't sound right but never did - so I am guessing their promotion is an extra movement somehow?

BNW almost feels like a new game with all these new late game options and strategies.

I just hope that AIs on deity are no longer stupidly aggressive in the beginning.

Hi MD, going back to my initial question from page 1:

So, it looks like you didn't need Globalization to win the Diplomacy game (although it certainly made it safer). Was this a particularly good diplomacy game for you, or can you usually achieve a Diplo win before you would get to Globalization? Is any way to convince your allies to vote their delegates for you as World Leader (the way you can for other proposals)? or will they always just vote their delegates for themselves, even if they have no shot of diplo victory.

For culture victory, I understand that you didn't focus on it this game, but it still looked like you weren't that far off from that victory condition. Have you had success on Deity getting a culture victory (with raw tourism output + GMs) before reaching the Internet?

I'm just wondering if a win is possible with only middle of the pack science output (as if you are science leader you could always just as easily go for a science victory... making all this extra work with tourism / delegates pointless). Since, you could always win science victory with middling culture/tourism and middling number of delegates (even if you can't ignore them completely anymore as you could in G&K).

Thanks for the great video!

Two questions:

1. If Globalization doesn't unlock the UN, what does? What triggers the availability of the "World Leader" vote?
2. What unique promotion does Commanche Riders get?

1. If Globalization doesn't unlock the UN, what does? What triggers the availability of the "World Leader" vote?

World Leader vote triggers when the median era of all civs reaches Atomic (from MD's video). So, I presume with all the leaking beakers and spies, it would be difficult for an AI to get a science victory before at least one round of voting, since that would require the AI to get all those information age techs before all other civs minus one even reach Atomic.

Hi MD, going back to my initial question from page 1:

So, it looks like you didn't need Globalization to win the Diplomacy game (although it certainly made it safer). Was this a particularly good diplomacy game for you, or can you usually achieve a Diplo win before you would get to Globalization? Is any way to convince your allies to vote their delegates for you as World Leader (the way you can for other proposals)? or will they always just vote their delegates for themselves, even if they have no shot of diplo victory.

For culture victory, I understand that you didn't focus on it this game, but it still looked like you weren't that far off from that victory condition. Have you had success on Deity getting a culture victory (with raw tourism output + GMs) before reaching the Internet?

I'm just wondering if a win is possible with only middle of the pack science output (as if you are science leader you could always just as easily go for a science victory... making all this extra work with tourism / delegates pointless). Since, you could always win science victory with middling culture/tourism and middling number of delegates (even if you can't ignore them completely anymore as you could in G&K).

Thanks for the great video!

I was using the culture side as a backup plan to diplomacy, so did push it 'somewhat' (though not as much as I could have). More so than maybe what one would expect for a different type of VC. Keeping in mind that most of the culture and diplo key techs are intertwined, and the fact that world congress proposals boost culture on tiles, it's understandable to be able to push both if needed.

Globalization was basically 'needed' for an early Diplo win. The extra votes/Diplomat were actually required to ensure I had the right amount of votes to win. If I lost a few CS allies, then I'd definitely need the Diplomats. This particular game allowed me to mass up the influence on the CSs to the point where I could safely keep them while going to the diplomat side with my spies (Freedom has the best Diplo tenets). Only the autocrat (Assyria) could get tenets that benefited a diplo win, so all of those Order civs were going to have a very hard time keeping CS allies without mass gold spending/constant attempts at coups. They were thankfully kept busy on the war side. Had Greece or another major CS buyer been in the game, it would have been much tougher to get so many CS allies, in which case the Diplomats are definitely required and you may even need to lose a vote or two before you can win it.

Yes you can buy votes for the World Leader vote (I think I'm remembering that correctly), but you don't get 'all' of the AIs votes when you buy them. You only get their core votes. There is some game logic around when an AI would vote for someone else, but that'd take longer to explain.

This game also had less RAs than normal between AIs, so being 'top science' wasn't actually the case for me. I was up there, but it was more about focus and a few nice RAs (before the AIs decided to hate me) that pushed me that far (plus a GS bulb or two) towards Globalization.

So, 'can you win before Globilization' -- it's plausible, but at higher difficulty levels, I'd say less so. First you have to force the average era into the Atomic Age and then you need to have the vote timed out to start almost right away. In the case of the Porttugal game the average era switched to the Atomic Era shortly after the new proposals were put forth, meaning that I had to wait for that vote to happen and then wait more time for the vote. A quick Diplo win will no longer be about a super fast lone tech push with some gold tossed in there. The world has to be ready for it (or you can just kill the laggers :goodjob:).

Getting to the Spaceship parts is actually a bit slower, depending on your empire size/relations with others. In this game, had I gone for more Rationalism, I might have made it to them before the vote, but it would have been close. The game shown is actually a lot 'slower', turn wise, than what people will likely see in future LPs and their own games. Mostly I was messing with the AIs to test some stuff rather than going for speed. But do expect that the sub 200 or even sub 250 speed games (standard speed/non-domination VC) will be a lot more rare or just nonexistent (unless people are constantly rerolling or messing with the settings).

As per Culture VC on Deity without the Internet -> You will generally always need it due to the doubling of tourism from the Internet being required to get a high enough tourism output to finish the game before someone else does. Though, an autocrat has other ways to win via culture ;)

Finally got to watching it, but I don't think you announced what the promotion on Comanche Riders were :p. You said they had 4 movement and said you'd look in the Civilopedia since that didn't sound right but never did - so I am guessing their promotion is an extra movement somehow?

heh, derp. :blush:

World Leader vote triggers when the median era of all civs reaches Atomic (from MD's video). So, I presume with all the leaking beakers and spies, it would be difficult for an AI to get a science victory before at least one round of voting, since that would require the AI to get all those information age techs before all other civs minus one even reach Atomic.

It's extremely hard to have the average age of the world be at the Atomic Era (so someone hitting Space with others not far behind) without at least 1 vote for world leader happening. Runaways notwithstanding (of which in the Portugal game there were none).

I'll post my question again since it looks like it was buried in the thread:

Can culture make your borders expand into another civilizations like in Civ IV?

I think you may have missed some points in there. I had decent naval choke points with very powerful nuclear subs holding them, wars were actually all over the map (Iroquois vs. Persia, Denmark vs. multiple civs, Mongolia vs. multiple civs, etc) and fleets were all over the map (vs. before where a large chunk of the AI fleet would still be back at the civs influence area). Mongolia had already lost its capital and was getting crushed.

I wouldn't use those 10 turns as a litmus test for the AI in general, as they had all been fighting each other before DoWing me - thereby losing units. Plus I had a lot of CS allies, which the AI would need to remove their navies before getting to me (aside from Denmark but I had multiple nuclear subs killing them and they had to also defend vs other AIs). The Celts brought a semi-decent force to my eastern islands, but I was targeting their carriers and other important units. They do bring more of a navy a little later in the game, but the Celts were actually on the Tech VC path, so a pure military switch would not be good for them.

Once someone is 'influenced' their only chance to not be 'screwed' is to influence the other civ or wipe them out. Winning the game via culture requires being influential with all remaining civs.

Slightly off-topic, but I have to say that even in G+K I saw a significant improvement in both the naval & combat AI. I recently had a game where I was allied with Korea, & we both DoW'd against England (who was on another continent), & it was beautiful to see Sejong bring a massive naval force to bear against England. Indeed, I'd say he did a better job of launching a trans-oceanic war than I did. Just FYI ;-).

Top Bottom