what effect will the patch have on saved games?

It will corrupt them except old scenario's from vanilla you can still play them because the patch doesn't effect them..

thanks.
I'm a solo working dad, so ME time is limited and a game takes me up to 2 months to play.
will the corruption from the update mean that if i play off line until i am just short of a cultural victory and i go on line and finish the game, i will still get the steam achievment?

better to stay offline... here is an idea. You save the game one turn before your cultural victory, finish it offline, then finish it again online. That way you can be sure to at least of finished it

You could also disable automatic updating of civ 5 on steam till you're finished with your game. Just right click Civ 5 in your games library and go to properties.

What about GMR games? I would hate to loose my games I've spent months playing...

You could also disable automatic updating of civ 5 on steam till you're finished with your game. Just right click Civ 5 in your games library and go to properties.

Thanks soooo much for this. I've done as you said and now can play until the game finishes without the worry of the patch stuffing my game.

I was playing offline then going back online, when I was about build a temple or purchase a tile, so I could click off closer to the playthrough achivements, then back offline line again, a freakin pain.

:)

John

Thanks soooo much for this. I've done as you said and now can play until the game finishes without the worry of the patch stuffing my game.

I was playing offline then going back online, when I was about build a temple or purchase a tile, so I could click off closer to the playthrough achivements, then back offline line again, a freakin pain.

:)

John

Beware. This does not always work.

Offline indeed doesn't always work. Shortly ago my internet clonked out and I could play Civ a few times offline, but then it started to insist on Steam again.
And I've got my game set to not automatically update, but that doesn't work either; it still updates. Steam is not customer friendly.

Where does the information come from that the patch will corrupt saves? Even previous rigorous patches didn't corrupt saves, as far as I know, saves still uploaded, everything was just messed up. I remember a June patch with stone as a new resource and different happiness values.
The upcoming patch is huge as well, but are we sure it has things that make saves unplayable?

Where does the information come from that the patch will corrupt saves?

There's no real info about that.
But you should in general assume that a patch will break your savegame. If it doesn't, then you're lucky.

Offline indeed doesn't always work. Shortly ago my internet clonked out and I could play Civ a few times offline, but then it started to insist on Steam again.
And I've got my game set to not automatically update, but that doesn't work either; it still updates. Steam is not customer friendly.

Absolutely right. My experience too. It shouldn`t force you back on the net though because that means you can`t really play it offline all the time after the first install. Not right. If you lose the net for any reason, you`ve lost the game you PAID for.

I know it`s a pain, but I physically disconnect from the internet if I want to make sure Steam doesn`t force a Patch on me that`ll screw a game I have going. that`s when it lets me play Offline.

Like The_J says, it`s always wise to assume that any new Patch (especially big ones) will mess up any saves, even if it at first everything appears to work.

There's no real info about that.
But you should in general assume that a patch will break your savegame. If it doesn't, then you're lucky.

+1000

Usually the bigger the patch, the more likely it will mess up your save. This is a big patch.

taking all your advise on board guys.
I really appericate it, Civ is the only game I play
Been playing on and off since the mid 1990's.
Started playing Civ V April this year, so this patch stuff and steam is kinda new to me.
I thought from a post or two that the patches are released with no advance warning of the when it is actually going to happen and the first anyone knows about it, is the downloading.
This combined with me being told that my current game would be corrupted was a horror story to me.
Anyhow I know understand that we do get told when the patch is released closer to the time, so at least and can do some sort of work around.

cheers
John

Patch is just out, also this time my game is automatically updating, eventhough I've checked the box not to.
I'm still a bit optimistic that existing games can continue. I don't think it's the size of a patch that creates issues, I think it are very specific things that do that, but we'll see.
I'm sure the developers themselves have a good idea about this, for them it's not rocket science, but they're very cautious with informing us. Considering the lack of control we as customers have about this patch I find it disappointing that the patch comes out of the blue - no warning in advance about a specific date.

Even if we're lucky and saved games are fine, I would ask for a bit more custumer friendlyness here.

I've loaded up a pre patch game after dowloading the patch and it works fine. My game is modded and your basic RED pack stuff works fine. only mod i've had that doesn't work is IGE but it doesn't breack the save.

Patch is just out, also this time my game is automatically updating, eventhough I've checked the box not to.

Like I said, you gotta unplug from the internet. It`s the only sure wayto prevent unauthorised patching. Telling it to `not download` does not work.

In fact `Offline mode` is a lie as long as your computer stays connected because Steam still spies on your PC. That`s why it still installs regardless. Not sure why people refuse to see what`s going on.

Also, even though the game works at the moment with the Save, it don`t mean that the numbers, calculations and all that aren`t messed up. This is what they mean when they say it`s best to finish your old game on the old Patch and start a new game on the new Patch.

I just patched and my 330-ish turn information era save game still works. I just played like 10 or 20 turns on it with no problems.

:):):):)for some reason the do not auto update for me worked
Although I didn't restart Civ until I finished my prepatch game, just left the laptop running for 4 days.
thsnks again guys
john

Top Bottom