Religion after the patch

aluelkdf

Prince
In my recent game (post patch), Ethiopia was next to me and they were spreading their religion like crazy. Their religion spread to every city on the continent, and even my holy city was converted by massive religious pressure.

Ethiopia was sending a nonstop stream of missionaries into my land, and when I told him to stop he would not listen. There where some points where Ethiopia had 3-4 missionaries in my land at the same time. And Ethiopia had at least one missionary in my land consistently every single turn. Ethiopia must have been producing a missionary literally every single turn. And I wonder, how is that even possible to be capable of producing a missionary every turn?

I have played hundreds of hours of G&K, and I have never seen anything like this. It was so ridiculous that it almost seems like a new bug that the patch created. I have played other post patch games and this did not happen, it only happened with this particular game. Have you guys seen anything like this in your games?

I was so mad at Ethiopia, the only way to stop him was to go to war. I had a military that was at least comparable to Ethiopias, and enough to get the job done (I thought). But as you guys know, the patch made the game more difficult, and my army was basically decimated. I have a few badly wounded units still alive and all I can do with them is retreat so that I can save what little military I have left. I still have the game saved, but I got so fed up that I just stopped playing and started a new game.

This almost always happens to me when I have a game with Ethiopia in it.

I am playing a game right now as America and had Ethiopia decide to warmonger me early on. It was more like a religious war to be honest - he picked the bonus for enemy cities and brought like 3 missionaries along with his invading force. The city I was defending had been converted sneakily by him the turn before the war.

===
But yea from most of my games Ethiopia is one of the biggest religion mongers in game. Hes like an Isabella from Civ 4.

Russia was actually doing this in my most recent game, though she thought she was being subtle by converting every CS around me. I would go in with my own missionary, only to find at least one, sometimes two missionaries in each CS. Too bad for her all my CS allies killed the missionaries when I DOWed her :)

Egypt was trying to convert my capital with a GP last night. I killed him when he was near the border and was DOW with him for the rest of the game until I dominated the entire rest of the map with my army.

I was fine DOW on him because I knew he had no military. The last thing I wanted though was to lose my benefits in my cities from religion.

In my recent game (post patch), Ethiopia was next to me and they were spreading their religion like crazy. Their religion spread to every city on the continent, and even my holy city was converted by massive religious pressure.

Ethiopia was sending a nonstop stream of missionaries into my land, and when I told him to stop he would not listen. There where some points where Ethiopia had 3-4 missionaries in my land at the same time. And Ethiopia had at least one missionary in my land consistently every single turn. Ethiopia must have been producing a missionary literally every single turn. And I wonder, how is that even possible to be capable of producing a missionary every turn?

I have played hundreds of hours of G&K, and I have never seen anything like this. It was so ridiculous that it almost seems like a new bug that the patch created. I have played other post patch games and this did not happen, it only happened with this particular game. Have you guys seen anything like this in your games?

I was so mad at Ethiopia, the only way to stop him was to go to war. I had a military that was at least comparable to Ethiopias, and enough to get the job done (I thought). But as you guys know, the patch made the game more difficult, and my army was basically decimated. I have a few badly wounded units still alive and all I can do with them is retreat so that I can save what little military I have left. I still have the game saved, but I got so fed up that I just stopped playing and started a new game.

What's the command to tell them to stop trying to send missionaries? Like you, if I've taken the time to build up my religion, the quickest way to piss me off is sending missionaries and prophets my way.

Best way to stop them is to keep an inquisitor around, since they won't target a city with one next to them. That can at least protect your holy city from the Great Prophet sniping the ai loves. In one post fall patch game I had 2 foeign GPs converting my cap every turn til they died and my GP re-flipped it

What's the command to tell them to stop trying to send missionaries? Like you, if I've taken the time to build up my religion, the quickest way to piss me off is sending missionaries and prophets my way.

The latest patch offers a "stop spamming missionaries and prophets" alongside "stop spying" on the "Discuss" menu.

From Gandhi's reaction when I just told him to stop converting my cities (I'm pretty sure I saw him flip me the bird), it seems to work about as poorly as the stop spying demand. But, in all fairness, if I were him I would refuse to stop spamming GPrs, even if it meant war (which it does, in about 10-12 turns, when our DOF expires).

The latest patch offers a "stop spamming missionaries and prophets" alongside "stop spying" on the "Discuss" menu.

From Gandhi's reaction when I just told him to stop converting my cities (I'm pretty sure I saw him flip me the bird), it seems to work about as poorly as the stop spying demand. But, in all fairness, if I were him I would refuse to stop spamming GPrs, even if it meant war (which it does, in about 10-12 turns, when our DOF expires).

Ah Thanks. I guess since I have gone to war over it in the past it may end up the same.

Best way to stop them is to keep an inquisitor around, since they won't target a city with one next to them. That can at least protect your holy city from the Great Prophet sniping the ai loves. In one post fall patch game I had 2 foeign GPs converting my cap every turn til they died and my GP re-flipped it

I know the feeling; losing the capital-slash-holy-city to a foreign religion is a major blow, especially when the population grows so high that it takes 2-3 Great Prophets working full-time to repair the damage. Ever since that happened to me in a post-patch game, I have made a point of keeping an Inquisitor in every city; as an emergency backup plan, I choose a Prophet whenever a wonder lets me decide which Great Person should appear.

In my pending game, I finally bought 2 inquisitors for my 4 core cities, and they are now shuttling back and forth as the other civs' Great Prophets wander around. Before I got the inquisitors up (I forgot my own "rule" about buyng at least one before leaving the medieval age), my capital got zapped three times (twice by Gandhi and once by Isabella) and a secondary city got zapped once (by Isabella), but the pressures were so high that I just let them reconvert (took less than 10 turns each time, and I bought a monestary in my capital for fun).

I did DOW Gandhi a few turns after my last post, took 3 of his 4 cities (left him with a small mountaous city that Isabella is grinding away on). But, the weird thing is, I found Gandhi with 4 Great Prophets in his homeland - one was an Ethiopian GP that he had captured (and never deleted, so he was paying maintenance - wtf?), but the other 3 were "home-grown" -- and he had never enhanced. I don't recall ever seeing that before.:confused:

Top Bottom