NukeNes XXV: The Berlin Conference

Ethiopia should indeed maintain their independence as good God fearing Christians amidst a sea of heathen savages.

We are willing to have Abyssinia maintain it's independence, if the border between them and our Eritrean colony can be fixed.

Germany wasn't aware the Dutch were invited to this Conference as anything more than observers.

The Dutch weren't, and have no legitimate claims on Africa.

And you have a legizimate claim on Africa, its a unclaimed piece of land up for grabs, I have the same legitimacy as you.

The United Kingdom hereby lays claim to this territory.

It lies clearly within the British sphere of influence and will be incorporated into our East Africa Protectorate.

Austria-Hungary would like to say: No European nation has any claim on Africa outside their pre Conference lands. We are here not to reaffirm claims, but to create new ones. The Dutch have every right to a claim on Africa.

That being said, we will not claim any land in Africa with one condition: Nobody interfere with our affairs in the Balkans.

We will thusforward act as little more than an observer and a mediator, should one be necessary.

The representative of Tsar Alexander III is present.

While Russia has little interest in the continent of Africa, we do take issue with the recent statements of Austria-Hungary. This conference has been assembled to deal with the issue of Africa, not the Balkans, and the idea of Austria-Hungary establishing any African colonies is laughable.

Denmark would like to point out to the Netherlands and to Austria Hungary that the respective nations laying claim have had colonies here for, in some cases, centuries, and have legitimate reason to stake out spheres of influence

Colonies are ment to be made un unclaimed land, it is unclaimed so there by its a free for all.

While we do not control the interior of the Sahara, we claim it and it appears that our claim to such goes mostly recognized. Also, the Dutch claim goes directly in contest with legitimate and recognized French claims in the region. We do not control the region, but we claim it, and one day we will control it.

I know what the real Berlin conference was but can you clarify why did you quote me and post that.

redacted

I, King Leopold, come to you first as the representative of the International Congo Society and International African Society, both private associations.

I would like to address the competing claims to the Congo River Basin first, and will try to speak plainly. From my perspective, the only entities with possible claims anywhere near the Basin are perhaps the Republic of France, the Kingdom of Portugal, and the International Congo Society.

The reality in the Congo is that the International Congo Society had explored and mapped the Congo River Basin in 1876, years before the French decided to create their outpost, Brazzaville, further up the Congo River from their colonies on the African coast. The reality in the Congo is that Portuguese claims have only ever been southeast of the river, but never far into the interior. The reality in the Congo is that many of the tribes in the interior Congo River Basin have already signed contracts with the International Congo Society and that outposts of the Society are throughout the interior.

I insist that the International Congo Society's claim to the interior of the Congo River Basin has legal precedence over claims by other nations. The first goal of the Society is for the Congo River Basin's waterways to be free to all traffic from all powers currently at this conference. Any party with access to any of the rivers in the basin would be able to transport their goods to the Atlantic without any tariff or toll on their shipping traffic. The rest of the Congo basin would remain under the International Congo Society's control. Companies from any of this current conference's powers would be able to lease 10-year monopoly rights to extract a particular product from a particular region of almost anywhere in Congo basin. Monies earned would be used to maintain, develop, and police the basin, as well as return as profit to the initial investors in the Congo Society. My scientific and humanitarian association, the International African Society would both provide missionaries to the interior, as well as support the scientific interests of the conference powers.

As King of Belgium, I know that I am right choice for this duty. As a small, neutral power in Europe, any significant interest or control on my part in the Congo will do little to unbalance Europe politically. Under my influence the Congo River Basin will remain as it needs to be for lasting peace; neutral, yet open to all.

I submit that my management of the Congo River Basin is both legal and sensible.

Provided is a map, with the area claimed for the International Congo Society in Belgium's colors for ease of identification. All other areas are what I deem appropriate for the other powers, as the representative of Belgium to this conference.

The Republic of France has decided that we cannot, in good conscience, continue to support the British claims in the Congo. As such, we wish to unveil our new proposal for the Congo Basin:

Under this proposal, Belgium would gain control over the mouth of the Congo river, and could secure a free trade zone there. Portugal would gain the southern part of the Basin, while France would receive the northern part. In the western Congo, France would receive the land on the northern half of the west bank of Lake Tanganyika, while Portugal would receive the land on the Southern half. Germany will receive the land west of Lake Tanganyika.

The Emperor is most pleased with the French proposal. The French have shown that, despite past tension, that they are willing to work with us, not against us, to further the safety and security both our nations. Thus I whole heartedly support their proposal in addition to the proposed independence of Morocco.

Let us hope, with this crucial step, that peace shall continue to reign between our nations and all of Europe.

Further more the Emperor and myself have agreed to support the Portuguese "pink map". The United Kingdom has refused to follow the principle of effectivity, to which they themselves agreed to. In doing so they continue to undermine their credibility.

As for the claiims of the Dutch I shall again reiterate they are observers, not participants of this Conference. If they should speak out of turn again I shall eject them from this conference.

Long live the Empire
Otto von Bismark, Chancellor of the German Empire

OOC: Nedim, either shut up or get out. It is pretty simple. I don't need to explain anything to you, if you do not understand the function of the Berlin Conference then clearly you are not fit to participate.

Top Bottom