Medieval reskin shop

I found the Mounted Javelinman in TAM but it turned out to be a horse archer / placeholder.

I never did the mounted javelinner unit, but I planned to do it instead. The mounted javelinner wasn't a real historical unit in the ancient mediterranean, thus it has been removed from TAM. It might be a very cool animation for american native instead, especially for the wonderful CJ units.

I planned to make these animations starting from the persian immortal ones, because it's quite simple to introduce a VisController in the strike anims. I've no time to do it now, then I hope this tip could help you in such task ;)

There two other "fusion" units I wanted to make - Mounted Javelinman & Mounted Crossbowman.

There is a third important fusion to make: a egyptian two-men chariot with archer instead of spearman. It is a REAL historic unit that several people required in the past

I never did the mounted javelinner unit, but I planned to do it instead. The mounted javelinner wasn't a real historical unit in the ancient mediterranean, thus it has been removed from TAM. It might be a very cool animation for american native instead, especially for the wonderful CJ units.

I know nothing of ancient warfare really though I remember a lot of picutres/references to Greek and Scythian mounted javelineers at least (Hippakonistas?) and I was sure at least medieval Moors/Berbers used them, not to mention Europeans (i.e. thrown lances in Bayeux Tapestry)? I'm asking because it kind of questions whether I should use them myself ;)

I planned to make these animations starting from the persian immortal ones, because it's quite simple to introduce a VisController in the strike anims. I've no time to do it now, then I hope this tip could help you in such task ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of copying transform controllers from javelineer KFs, but that's an alternative I guess, thanks.

I was thinking more along the lines of copying transform controllers from javelineer KFs, but that's an alternative I guess

Obviously the jav kfs are a better solution, but the immortal could be a really quick solution, using the strikeA as close combat anim (unchanged) and strikeB as range combat anim (setting the VisController at tick 0.350 approx). Just an option, as you said.

On the camel cataphract graphics, it is very easy to meld armor to the camel graphics in blender and would give it a cleaner look then attaching it in nifscope. If you want I could do it for you, it is really only a ten-twenty minute job.

Thanks, I'd be grateful because Blender is just beyond me... the armor I found is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9133 but so far it doesn't look like camel-compatible at all.

Here you go, the cataphract camel is in the zip. I made it a half cataphract like the one on Capo's pic. It should be easy to reskin as the armor is clearer marked and when you see the texture it is directly welded to the skin around it.
I can't wait to see the unit when your done. :D

Here you go, the cataphract camel is in the zip. I made it a half cataphract like the one on Capo's pic. It should be easy to reskin as the armor is clearer marked and when you see the texture it is directly welded to the skin around it.
I can't wait to see the unit when your done. :D

:thanx: I'll get to it during the weekend probably.

I'm just happy to help! I should be thanking you for making new animations.
Feel free to tell me if there is anything wrong with the camel or if you want anything adjusted.

I hope you guys don't mind that I took a peek. Nice work Bakuel.

I was thinking of maybe using it as either a Parthian or later Persian UU for a module or something like that, so if you could make a couple of styles (for the rider at least) that'd be awesome. As far as suggestions go; I think if you just textured the cloth over the hump and his neck/head with the armor it would be sufficient. Maybe some tassles here and there for decoration and you've got yourself a really cool looking unique unit.

This is a glorious collaboration here! And believe me I know about glorious collaborations... COUGHhitlerCOUGHalexanderCOUGH :goodjob:

You would make a lot of people (or at least just me) very happy if you make Mounted Crossbowman and Mounted Javelinman animations! :D

Isn't there a mounted Mali skirmisher somewhere in the database? Not likely it's still using the javelineer animations, but I'm not sure...

Your work is awesome, man! I will use many of these in a Middle Eastern inspired civ for my mod. I alrready have one of them pasted, but will be deploying more in the future. These units inspire me to completely add another civ to the mod.

Excellent job! Keep it up!

@GeoModder
Last time I checked, the only mounted Mali skirmisher is the old one made by Rabbit White, it just uses the Persian Immortal animations. As far as I know, no one has made any animations that actually have a rider that chucks javelins at the enemy.

First post has been updated with Camel Cataphract info & download link. It's just one version but it took more time than other camels combined...besides, it's not exactly universal unit.

It looks very cool embryodead! It may be of questionable historical value but it looks awesome regardless!

Thanks to you we now have camel animations with spears, swords, bows and muskets!
Now all we need are camel machinegunners, I hope that is the next thing on your list...
:please:

Spoiler :
Just kidding.

It looks very cool embryodead! It may be of questionable historical value but it looks awesome regardless!

Thanks to you we now have camel animations with spears, swords, bows and muskets!
Now all we need are camel machinegunners, I hope that is the next thing on your list...
:please:

Actually... This stuff existed. And it would be awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamburak

To quote: "A later development (after 1850) would see Gatling guns mounted on camels as well."

BTW, great camels, embryodead! Now that the animation exists, would making a guy with a spear on a regular camel be relatively easy? Oh, and the link I gave... ;)

That is actually very cool. :D

But it would be bad to overburden embryodead with requests, especially since he plans to make javelin and crossbowman cavalry which are things I have personally wanted for a long time.

I would like too see an infantry on a camel. The government of Sudan emplyees some sort of camel mounted infantry... but this is only a reqest and you have done a great job so far. Finish your other units and think about it :p

I've made the camel gunner to represent Zamburak actually, since I needed it for Mughals, Safavids etc. in my mod - making an actual mounted falconet is out of question unfortunately, there's no source I could steal animations from ;)

I'm not sure about the other units, so far it seems that while copying animations between different mounts & riders works, moving them from infantry to mounted units ends with a disaster.

Hm... Couldn't you try selectively moving only upper body node animations from foot units to mounted ones, leaving pelvis and leg nodes with old animations? Then you could make a very nice Zamburak with either Machinegunner or Chinese Hand Cannon anims.

Or else you could try something like you did with Siege Elephant: mount a falconet onto the camel, using a cannon ranged attack anim, while leaving the camel rider with standard camel archer anims for other slots (or your melee camel rider; would be even nicer - then he'd also have a melee attack).

Top Bottom