Rules.txt modifications doesn't work at all.

14darkdays

Chieftain
Hi, I modified some things in rules.txt, like the names of civilizations and leaders, and worked fine. But there are many others that not... for example, I modified the ''tech paradigm'' in order to enlarge the time necessary to get technology advances, but when I started a new game, there are not any changes. Have I done it wrong? Only changed the # valor from 10 to 40.

Other thing is that I changed the amount of food, production and commerce that some terrain types have, but in the game the only thing that changes is the amount of food, production and commerce of the terrain types ONLY IN THE TERRAIN INFORMATION, but when I look at it trough a city window, is not any change.

I remember in an MGE help box, for scenarios it was recommended to change the tech paradigm in the cheat menu instead; this might be why.

While there is a pretty good understanding of tech costs in a standard game, some anomalies have been reported over the years, and all the research has been done for a standard game.

Have you tried playing for a little while? The first tech might always be the same cost; or the first 20 or 21 technologies discovered might have a cost that has been hard-coded in.

The scenario league might be able to help you more; they will be the ones who have experience in editing the game's files.

Tech paradigm certainly impacts everything from the beginning. I often modify my rules.txt file and do all of the things that the OP does, especially adjusting terrain bonuses. I have never had any problems with something not working.
Typically, I start a game, play for a while, then save it. Without exiting, I modify the rules.txt and reload the game. Voila, changes are there. Loading the game after modifying the rules file is enough to "activate" the new changes, try that.

Prof. Garfield you are right, after some technological advances, the speed of investigation decreased slowly, and now I need 30 turns to investigate technologies that in other games I got in less than 10 turns. But I don't understand... ¿if I changed the tech paradigm from 10 to 100 (this time), why the time necessary has been only multiplied by 3?

Blasph23, I tried that but don't work :/
Certainly, the terrain bonuses only changes in the civilopedia shortcuts when I make a double click on a terrain square, but in the city windows I can't see any change.

Strange, it works for me, I just tested it moments ago. What version of the game do you have? While in-gamr, press Ctrl+O and at the header of the window that will appear, there's the version.

Top Bottom