Do You Want XCOM Squad in game?

Should XCOM Squad be included?

• Yes, yes it should

Votes: 319 59.6%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 216 40.4%

• Total voters
I'll just mod the unit out along with the GDR and new tech they are supposedly adding. I will certainly still buy the expansion, because they have worked hard on adding some new features to the game. Features I think will make the game feel much more complete. Trade routes, for one, hooked me easily.

I may not like that choice for a new unit personally, but it won't be a game breaker. Truly it won't. There are probably several needed new units coming up which will suit me just fine, we'll see.

I will be the first to download your mod Nokmirt.

nokmirt, please PM me when the mod that removes "fictional" sci-fi units (except for stuff required for the space victory) out when you finished writing the mod.

They should have upgraded the paratrooper to air cavalry, not XCOM squad. Does the XCOM squad sound like something from the 20th century?

The game goes halfway into the 21st century and you have the option of playing beyond that by clicking "one more turn." The game doesn't end in 1990.

How dare they add a not-entirely seriously unit in a game where George Washington can lead the Huns in a Buddhist holy war against the Taoist infidels of Babylon.

Theoretically speaking, couldn't you mod the actual game files? I mean, you can replace stuff like the theme music with no problems...

It should be possible to create civ-specific victory and defeat screens. Not every civilization ends with a giant marble statue of a woman being discovered by archaeologists in middle of a desert.

Alternately, the "Squad" can be genericized.

It should be possible to create civ-specific victory and defeat screens. Not every civilization ends with a giant marble statue of a woman being discovered by archaeologists in middle of a desert.

Alternately, the "Squad" can be genericized.
I was just thinkign if anyone really had a problem with it, just go in and delete the entries for the GDR and the XCOM Squad.

Big No!

Get that out of my Civ V: Brave New World! I do not want advertising of other games on it. It should be an optional mod!

Not only that, if you look at the ESRB, it states that it is M-rated. Put an M-rated reference in an E10+-rated game? No thank you. There are more than enough M-rated references in E-rated and E10+-rated games: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ParentalBonus

I am no prude.

I would rather have futuristic androids fighting thank you. Putting references from another game got to be an early April Fool's joke (even if it is confirmed).

I will not buy Brave New World until that squad is removed completely.

Sarcasm :confused: or sheer bloody minded stupidity :p I cant decide which. There are so many oddities in the game that to get upset by the kind of cool looking body armored X-Com guys seems bizarre to me. You are playing a game where it's a realistic possibility that Attila the Hun could develop a huge empire that lasts thousands of years, where scientifically inferior Spain can be conquered by the Aztecs, where Gandhi is so driven with bloodlust that he slaughters other civs in his quest for power, where the Christian religion revolves around Stone Circles & Pagodas and the Buddhists worship the God of War. I agree there should be more varied modern units but I'm also for interesting future tech units and the X-Com guys are realisticlly only a few years off being real world - the paradrop is current as are the normal weapons and the suits are just enhanced versions of the body armor which elite troops wear now.

To me it would be better if there were a lot more tech options in the game In a perfect game there would be a little more variety and ways to go all the way through. Civ isn't perfect but it's a fun game and they have tried their best to make it fun. If you are going to throw a hissy fit at a future tech level unit that only appears late in the game and refuse to buy the product then you are probably denying yourself a more varied experience through sheer bloody mindedness.

Like I said in another topic: if they want to add a new era, with SF things, then I'm ok with that but I also want the option to choose in each era to stop... because sometimes I may play with that future era too... but most of time I want to play up to present days (so without GDR too).

GDR is not present in my games and I think XCOM units won't be there either.

So... the poll should have a 3rd option. I'm ok with the SF units but I also want an option to play without them.

Yes it would. Don't rip off XCOM. The devs should use their imagination. Make an original unit. :)

This should be quite easy to mod though? I think that even though I voted yes i'd prefer they were called something else too.

The game goes halfway into the 21st century and you have the option of playing beyond that by clicking "one more turn." The game doesn't end in 1990.

Does that mean you want my mod too my friend? :lol: I am just kidding. Civ to me ends in the modern era, with tech we have now in real life. That is how I see it anyway. I have no problem with you guys that see it your way. If you like the future so be it.

For everyone else that wants the mod, it will be posted under Civ5 - modpacks. Usually I will keep my mods here and don't post them on steam. When I learn more about modding then I will post on the steam workshop. I probably will not be the only one that makes a mod like that. In fact someone probably will make a better one than I can. What I do know is that it is easy to disable a unit and lock a tech up. I will keep all requirements to build the spaceship though. That part of the game I like.

This should be quite easy to mod though? I think that even though I voted yes i'd prefer they were called something else too.
This is a good point and one I failed to mention. Any unit can be renamed easy enough. For instance, I was planning on calling the ironclad we have in the game now a protected cruiser, which to me is what it looks like. When I think of an ironclad I think of the Monitor or the Virginia. An earlier iron ship comes to mind. The ship we have is certainly more advanced than that.

nokmirt, please PM me when the mod that removes "fictional" sci-fi units (except for stuff required for the space victory) out when you finished writing the mod.
No prob God of Kings.

I will be the first to download your mod Nokmirt.
I don't doubt it and I bet there will be plenty behind you. lol

We could change the name of the XCOM squad to the Buzz Lightyear Squad. "Buzz Lightyear to Star Command. I have an AWOL Sky Ranger!" HA HA!!! Really though does any of you have a better name in mind? I was thinking of PAAB. Powered Armor Assault Berets. Or PAAAT, Powered Armor Airborne Assault Team. PAAT, Powered Armor Assault Team. PADT Powered Armor Drop Team. Let me know what your ideas are.

There are a lot of specialized era specific games out there. The whole spears to nukes thing is the focal point of the Civilization series. Taking it out would be like taking the criminal activity out of the Grand Theft Auto series.

I hear what you're saying. And it's amazing that any game can do this as well as Civ does. And I don't want to take it away from Civ.

But I'd love a 'Civ variant' that focused more on a smaller time period (sort of like 'Colonization' did).

I suppose there are ways to remove nonsense like the xcom unit (whatever that is) or GDR from ever appearing in a game.

Civ to me ends in the modern era, with tech we have now in real life.

Civ2 had The Cure for Cancer
Civ4 had the Space Elevator

Which civ game for you ends with techs we have now?

I'm assuming this is a future unit?

I don't see what's the problem. After all the future stuff is fictional, and that's kind of cool for Xcomm fans.

Really though does any of you have a better name in mind? I was thinking of PAAB. Powered Armor Assault Berets. Or PAAAT, Powered Armor Airborne Assault Team. PAAT, Powered Armor Assault Team. PADT Powered Armor Drop Team. Let me know what your ideas are.

It could be worse. There actually was a game in the 90s entitled "Super Cybernetic Attack Team". Yes, they used "SCAT" as an acronym for their eponymous organization of super-soldiers. I'm guessing it was a very crappy game.

Top Bottom