They need to make a third expansion

Do you remember the days when everyone flamed Civ 5 and said it was dumbed down?

Of course I do. It happened just this morning.

It's a 4X game.

The fourth x stands for EX-TERM-IN-ATE.

In Vanilla I NEVER lost a single unit except when it was to an unlucky dice roll, which isn't exactly my idea of fun.

Granted, the unlucky dice roll is one of the reasons why we loose units whilst playing Vanilla, but when going for very early conquest, then Cities have to be attacked with warriors because the supporting archers don't do enough damage to a City. Also, there was no opportunity to pillage/heal. So in effect my play style does mean unit losses which I am quite prepared to accept!

The AI in it was horrible, horses dominated the battlefield and if you didn't have horses you were SOL.

It takes quite a while to discover horseback riding and you are quite right they do dominate but only in conjunction with range and Melee units.

That's not even mentioning the horribly unbalanced civs we got (China was so OP it wasn't funny, the Ottomans were so piss-poor it wasn't even funny), the hilariously bad tech tree, and I can go on and on.

In the case of China or England, if they are your neighbours this is precisely why we have to take them out ASAP. I love playing as the Ottomans, I think the Janissary is one of the best units of all the Civs.

G&K and BNW both fixed that. Warmongering suffered a bit, but Civ isnt a wargame. It's a 4X game.

Yes, and for this 4X game they have given us the opportunity to build Petra which is ridiculously op in my opinion. Such is my own mentality of always wanting to beat whatever I have previously done, I find myself having to reroll for a Desert start every time I play anything other than Duel or tiny domination games. Maybe this is a weakness in my character but I just can't help it, as a consequence I don't play these expansions very often!

Do you remember the days when everyone flamed Civ 5 and said it was dumbed down?

I still feel it's not as enjoyable as 3 and 4, but Ed Beach did manage to really improve the game compared to how it was before he joined the team. But that's a skeletal horse by now.

While it must be frustrating to the, uh, 0.1% of the playerbase that finds deity boring, I must point out that the amount of people who actually completed deity scenarios etc is very small. In terms of game design, I think deity is truly difficult: at least that is what the steam statistics show. This forum is selectively biased towards deity players for obvious reasons.

I am not one of the so called 0.1%, I don't even play BNW. As far as G&K goes, again I have played very little of it and I certainly don't find it boring, I am just commenting on how easily most of the members on here seem to be able to win standard size domination victories since the advent of G&K. Any statistics you might be seeing does not account for all the people who play in offline mode.

I cant belive they are making a fantasy BE game instead of doing more to civ 5. would like more diplomacy and other stuff instead or civ 6. dont like the type of game they are making now.

I love playing as the Ottomans, I think the Janissary is one of the best units of all the Civs.

Agreed. 50% "heal upon kill" is absurd. People rarely discuss the Ottomans, but they are in top tier, specifically in continental domination.

It's fair to say that AI combat mechanics were improved drastically since vanilla. I remember playing vanilla deity and watching a bunch of zombie jaguars doing a haka dance around my city, advancing and retreating. They could take it in one turn, but they just chose not to. That kind of thing i witnessed quite often. In G&K and BNW i was pleasantly surprised, when saw AI do proper flanking, attacking with right units in decent formations (ok, formations are still crap), but at least they have a good chance to take cities now if you fail to foresee their effort.

In terms of chasing victory conditions and overall difficulty, BNW is two steps back from previous iterations. You have tourism, guilds, religions, a bunch of new wonders, so, AI loses track, trying to kill 10 hares with one arrow. As a result - much slower tech rate, and a lot of people are suddenly competitive at Deity. G&K's introduction of religion was already taxing on AI performance, but BNW cultural overhaul is the proper last nail in the coffin of science, so to speak. :) So, i think your observation is valid.

To the OP: yes, like you, i'd love some new civ 5 "material", but the fact that it isn't happening is fairly obvious. That spinoff game doesn't interest me either. I feel that V is complete and it's a damn great game, never mind the shortcomings. I think we deserve the next iteration of civ in a few years, completely overhauled, with smarter AI, top notch multiplayer, new systems and crazy looking graphics. That's how i feel anyway.

Granted, the unlucky dice roll is one of the reasons why we loose units whilst playing Vanilla, but when going for very early conquest, then Cities have to be attacked with warriors because the supporting archers don't do enough damage to a City. Also, there was no opportunity to pillage/heal. So in effect my play style does mean unit losses which I am quite prepared to accept!

I prefer my unit losses to be due to better AI. Which, in BNW, has happened, even if people still like to rag on it. Oh, it's far from perfect, but the AI has been known to pull off more tactical tricks every now and then.

It takes quite a while to discover horseback riding and you are quite right they do dominate but only in conjunction with range and Melee units.

In Vanilla, I'd get to horseback riding fast enough. Composite bows are at around the same timezone...and they move a lot slower.

In the case of China or England, if they are your neighbours this is precisely why we have to take them out ASAP. I love playing as the Ottomans, I think the Janissary is one of the best units of all the Civs.

Yes, except I'm talking about playing as them instead of against them. Play as China, and the moment you hear that war theme and got a GG in Vanilla, it was pretty much all but over already. They got some nerfs and while still a strong warmonger, they're not an OMG Broken civ.
As far as the Ottomans go, sure, Jannisary is pretty good. For a meatshield. In Vanilla it had probably the WORST UA in the game (Whoopteedoo, I get to...uh...steal barbarian ships? Yay?) especially since naval combat was exactly worthless. No Melee ships, AI's that never build a navy...yeah.

Yes, and for this 4X game they have given us the opportunity to build Petra which is ridiculously op in my opinion. Such is my own mentality of always wanting to beat whatever I have previously done, I find myself having to reroll for a Desert start every time I play anything other than Duel or tiny domination games. Maybe this is a weakness in my character but I just can't help it, as a consequence I don't play these expansions very often!

Petra has been nerfed with BNW. And even then, it's not even the strongest wonder there is. Petra is only good if you have a lot of desert hills, otherwise it turns desert tiles into Plains...meh. In G&K, sure, but in BNW it's at a good powerlevel.

What we shouldn't forget is that Civ Fanatics people are probably the 1%. The folks who dedicate a lot of time in it and thus can beat Deity relatively reliably. I have friends who get their asses handed to them at King, simply because they don't know all the specific tricks. That's something that should not be forgotten.

I am not one of the so called 0.1%, I don't even play BNW. As far as G&K goes, again I have played very little of it and I certainly don't find it boring, I am just commenting on how easily most of the members on here seem to be able to win standard size domination victories since the advent of G&K. Any statistics you might be seeing does not account for all the people who play in offline mode.

"most of the members on here". That is how many exactly? Start steam at any point and you will find around 50.000+ players in Game. Sure the steam statistics are online-only, but I am just saying that this board over-represents deity players by a margin. I could see the deity-too-easy point if I saw as many as 10% of the player base achieving the relevant achievements. As you don't even play deity yourself I do not understand why you would make such a statement either way.

Bit like Wow really, everyone moaning about the game being to easy but only 3% of 7 million players has defeated Garrosh HC... anyway let's not derail here.

On the topic: if there won't be an expansion, I am hoping at least for a fall patch again.

"most of the members on here". That is how many exactly? Start steam at any point and you will find around 50.000+ players in Game. Sure the steam statistics are online-only, but I am just saying that this board over-represents deity players by a margin. I could see the deity-too-easy point if I saw as many as 10% of the player base achieving the relevant achievements. As you don't even play deity yourself I do not understand why you would make such a statement either way.

Bit like Wow really, everyone moaning about the game being to easy but only 3% of 7 million players has defeated Garrosh HC... anyway let's not derail here.

On the topic: if there won't be an expansion, I am hoping at least for a fall patch again.

The point is that it's not too easy, but rather - easier.

He does play deity.

I would like to see the game fixed so that it's playable in multiplayer without constant crashes, syncs and bugs.

Balancing the massively OP civs would be nice or the ability to disable specific civs for a game.

The point is that it's not too easy, but rather - easier.
Fair point. Odd to pretend not to play deity.

Balancing the massively OP civs would be nice or the ability to disable specific civs for a game.

Abso-flippin-lutely. I also do not understand why the game contains any maps that are not wrap-around. It is just game breaking. I would like to see a bit more work put into that. I think the map packs are good but in the end Pangaea reigns supreme.

Which there was another true expansion instead of BE - Civilization shouldn't have future stuff in the game - but it's getting close to Civ6 (Sept 2015).

Petra has been nerfed with BNW. And even then, it's not even the strongest wonder there is. Petra is only good if you have a lot of desert hills, otherwise it turns desert tiles into Plains...meh. In G&K, sure, but in BNW it's at a good powerlevel.

So on BNW they have taken away the one gold per desert tile? You now get just one extra food and hammer?

What we shouldn't forget is that Civ Fanatics people are probably the 1%. The folks who dedicate a lot of time in it and thus can beat Deity relatively reliably. I have friends who get their asses handed to them at King, simply because they don't know all the specific tricks. That's something that should not be forgotten.

I remember the earlier versions of ciV where we purchased a disk in a large box along with an almost bible sized book explaining how the game was played. The difficulty levels were categorized culminating in Deity "You would have to be a game designer or Sid to beat this level". Without the use of internet or any interaction with others, I saw this as a challenge and would spend years trying until I got there.
You have a good point about this site, due to the interaction and some of the great minds on here, I am sure that at least half of the Worlds 1% have at some time looked at these forums.
My main point about Deity/expansions is that it should not become easier to win, add to this the bad programming which has left massive loopholes for the mathematicians to get their teeth into. In response to the OP, I would say no to an expansion and a big yes to a patch that fixes all the wrongs that have ruined the game completely.

2 years is a lot and Civ 5 BNW is already been played to death. 2 new gameplay mechanics will help keep the comunity busy till Civ6.

Galactic civilizations III will be release before. :D
Alpha is online, beta in autumn, I hope.
Enough to wait Civ 6 in two years. :lol:

Top Bottom