What would you want changed with the religion system?

Now, personally, I liked the religion system and how it worked, but there are some things I thought would have been good ideas:
1): Religious downsides/ atheist benefits:
The only side effect to religion as of yet is diplomatic penalties, and these are relatively minor on Prince(Preferred difficulty as of yet) anyway. This seems very minor, as religious clashes have started wars and caused major prejudice. Maybe a few penalties towards passive spread to already-religious cities? The other thing might be to allow de-conversion in the sense that flaws in the religious principles or scientific development might create atheists from religious citizens, and maybe making it so that religion is optional, and atheist citizens from a certain technological threshold produce 2:c5science: instead?
2): :c5faith:/:c5science: Incompatibility?
The thing I find a problem with is that science is technically evidence-based investigation and exploration, whilst faith is unjustified belief. Maybe an adjustable slider might help with this?
You can tell me your opinions. I might update the list occasionally.

You know it's interesting, I was just reading Davies' Eerie Silence about SETI and he articulated the connection between Christianity in the West and the rise of the Scientific Method. So I think there's some historical evidence to suggest that assuming faith cancels out reason is fallacious.

The one thing I can't stand is the randomness of Great Prophets. I've had games where I got screwed out of my religion due to having to wait 12 turns after accumulating the appropriate amount of faith before that damn guy deigned to show up. Pisses me off when that happens.

Desert Folklore and, to a lesser degree, Dance of the Aurora are overpowered. At the very least, Desert Folklore should not work on flood plains because flood plains are not bad tiles that need extra help to become attractive.

Faith gain from meeting a religious city state should be changed to the usual gold bonus instead because it's too random.

One thing I generally dislike about religion is the inability to contrast incoming religious pressure. That would be the job of inquisitors, but as it stands they are worthess for everything but stopping foreign great prophets. Inquisitors stationed in a city should cut foreign religious pressure in half and there should be an enhancer that lets inquisitors eliminate it completely.

The celts faith bonus should be changed to +1 faith per city, with another +1 if adiacent to a forest (improved or unimproved). Mostly because getting a good starting location with them is so rare and if they don't, then they're straight up worse than the other religious civs.

Mostly because getting a good starting location with them is so rare and if they don't, then they're straight up worse than the other religious civs.

And yet still better than the other 31 Civs who don't have easy faith generation ;)

I don't see it particularly necessary. Any faith they get is a bonus and there is no justification that they need to be exactly equal to Maya/Ethiopia, as with that same justification then every other Civ needs +2 faith per city as well.

Agreed on desert folklore. You can get some amazing tundra starts, but I think more often dance of the aurora is about on par with the other faith trats (+2 per quarry, +1 per gold/silver, etc.) Unless you get extremely lucky with deer and no forest, you won't be working straight tundra tiles for quite a while.

And yet still better than the other 31 Civs who don't have easy faith generation ;)

I don't see it particularly necessary. Any faith they get is a bonus and there is no justification that they need to be exactly equal to Maya/Ethiopia, as with that same justification then every other Civ needs +2 faith per city as well.

Actually, no, any faith they get is NOT a bonus. It's their unique ability.

My proposal is aimed at making sure their UA is consistently useful because currently getting the full +2 bonus is not always possible and usually requires tradeoffs, such as settling in an otherwise mediocre or bad location.

And again, it isn't a problem; several of the Civs cannot always fully exploit their UA every game.

The only problem is a players expectations that it should be fully exploitable every game. No where does it state that Celts must get +2 faith or that Spain must be first to each natural wonder or that Sweden must be allowed to maintain declarations of friendship, etc.

There are random elements in the game, and the Celts UA is one of them. Depending on the map you get between 0-2 faith per city. That is there UA. It is specifically designed to not be a set number.

Desert Folklore and, to a lesser degree, Dance of the Aurora are overpowered. At the very least, Desert Folklore should not work on flood plains because flood plains are not bad tiles that need extra help to become attractive.
Dance of the Aurora overpowered? I have yet to see a Tundra start where DotA was actually my prefered start - if I get Tundra start, I'll always go for either Goddes Of The Hunt or something else like Stone Circles or whatever matches my resources. Perhaps if you get a Tundra start with lots of naked Tundra river tiles ... but I have yet to try that.

Faith gain from meeting a religious city state should be changed to the usual gold bonus instead because it's too random.
Disagree. In contrary, I want this spread out so that cultural CS will give you some Culture, Militaristic CS some XP, and Mercantile some additional Gold. I think it adds flavor to the game which is nice.

One thing I generally dislike about religion is the inability to contrast incoming religious pressure. That would be the job of inquisitors, but as it stands they are worthess for everything but stopping foreign great prophets. Inquisitors stationed in a city should cut foreign religious pressure in half and there should be an enhancer that lets inquisitors eliminate it completely.
Yes, that would be nice.

I think Inquisitors should also be reduced in price. Perhaps 2/3 or 5/7 the price of a missionary considering they are a 1 use item with far less use/reach?

I think Inquisitors should also be reduced in price. Perhaps 2/3 or 5/7 the price of a missionary considering they are a 1 use item with far less use/reach?
Logical step would be to have them follow Monasteries in price, similar to how Missionaries follow Pagodas/Cathedrals/Mosques. Isn't Monastery base price something like 160 Faith compared to 200 for the others - i.e. 80 %?

First thing I would want is a bit more variety added to the existing pool of founder beliefs. There aren't many, and some of them seem much more less restrictive and finite than others. I mean, if only followers in non-enemy civ's count, that's a heckuva a lot more limiting than just counting every 4 followers.

The founder belief should be my most critical choice in religion, and yet often it's the least interesting. Most provide happiness or gold. Of course, you have a lot of happiness options in your follower beliefs, and not gold there. And I don't care if my AI enemies get happiness, because they already have it in spades. So..Tithe it is.

It's not quite that simple, but it's close.

The only thing I would like to see changed would be less beliefs dependent on spread and more beliefs benefiting within your borders.

I assume with ideologies coming in, that opens up three new social policies ? I never liked how piety was essentially the "religion" tree and "culture" tree at the same time. What I'd prefer to see is a piety tree that opens up in the ancient era, to help get religions founded earlier in the game, but has rather minor bonuses (for example +1 faith in capital opener - basically just gives you an early pantheon belief). I might be tempted to throw in a free great prophet in there, depending on balance...

Then later have rationalism and possibly a happiness based (Decadence ?) tree that is incompatible with the piety tree. And ideally force the decision as to whether you want an early religion, risk falling behind in science in the mid-game or to struggle to trigger golden ages...

I have a big rant somewhere inside me against the concept that religion excludes science, but I am a little pressed for time at the moment, so you get away with it :).

Some quick points:
- There was no society before the modern era that was not religious (and deeply so). This didn't prevent the world from making enormous scientific progress during the period.
- Some societies that were the most advanced of their time and place were theocracies or at least had a serious attachment to their state religion: the Arabs during the Islamic Golden Age, Tenochtitlan during its heyday...
- Even the Greeks and the Romans, who many people now seem to view as not really religious, actually were quite involved with their beliefs. We somehow now associate their gods and beliefs with stories and myths, but it was in fact an actual religion. Otherwise why would the Roman torture and kill all those Christian martyrs? Because they were offending the Roman gods, that's why. You can also see from other stories (like Alcibiades being accused of sacrilege) that the Greeks were similarly serious about not offending their gods.
- The myth of religion being against science comes from a simplified perspective of the "dark ages" and the Inquisition's role in it. The dark ages, in as much as they existed at all, were just a function of the Roman Empire's fall (with bonus darkness brought in by the Black Death). But technology continued to develop consistently. Consider how much better medieval caravels were when compared to Roman triremes, for instance.
- The Renaissance was religiously centered too, and also church funded in part. Renaissance era artists created a lot of religious work, but at the same time the cultural effervescence of the era also fueled scientific progress.

Be warned, this was the short version! :)

This is also not true:

The overwhelming majority of wars - even the Crusades - were fought for resources, power or plunder. You will find it incredibly, incredibly difficult to find even a handful of examples for truly religious wars.

While you are somewhat correct on some of this you do get it wrong on other parts. I'm not trying to call you an idiot but I am a history major and when i see history being professed incorrectly it makes my skin crawl lol so my apologies.

The Romans had their pantheon of Gods but they were very open to other religions and Gods. In fact, when they conquered various areas in northern africa and europe they would sometimes add gods to their pantheon. They didn't give a damn what you thought religiously. This brings me to my next point. The Romans did not persecute Christians because they were offending the Roman Gods. Like i said before the Romans were really not that concerned with what people thought religiously. The Romans saw Christians as political threats. They saw them as nuisances looking to stir up trouble so what did they do? They killed them, tortured them etc. They made examples of these "political threats." You are mostly correct about the religious wars though. Most wars were indeed about power, plunder, etc. However do not underestimate religious influence in war. Religion did play a vital role in wars even if they were rarely the center of the causes for war. Leaders would use religion to fuel their wars but in the end no, you're right, the war was not really about religion. Although, I'm sure you've heard of the reformation. The reformation sparked religious conflict for YEARS. However as those religious conflicts were happening you can see the shift in causes for war. Religion began playing a smaller role and was eventually replaced by wars for "national security" resources etc. People weren't buying into that notion of killing for God anymore. Now that I have completely and utterly derailed this thread i'm going to stop now. Lol sorry for how off topic this was but i literally couldn't help myself.

Top Bottom