Dumb Expansion Q From a Civ Noob

PaladinXII

Chieftain
I was wondering if the expansions "stack." In other words, if you have both Warlords and Beyond the Sword, do you have access to all of the new leaders, units, etc. from both?

Thanks!

Yes. Warlords piggy backs on Civ Vanilla, and BTS piggy backs on Warlords. You get all of the functionality of each if you are playing BTS.

All the leaders, units, etc. are included in BtS anyway, so if you've got that you've got everything possible in the main game.

Ah. So if I understand, correctly:

Warlords contains everything that Civ IV (Core) has plus the new modes.
BtS contains everything that Civ IV (Core) AND Warlords has plus the new modes.

So... the question I have then is, what happens if you have Civ IV and BtS but not Warlords?

^ I have all of them but I would imagine that you wouldn't have access to the Warlords scenarios.

Anyone else want to add to that?

I imagine that there are some critical pieces of Warlords that are carried forward on the BtS disk, but if they continue to sell Warlords, it must not have been made obsolete by BtS. There is a cool bundle on Steam of all three parts for $60.

I've never used Steam before, but I've heard good things.

^ I have all of them but I would imagine that you wouldn't have access to the Warlords scenarios.

Anyone else want to add to that?

You do have access to Warlord scenarios. All you have to do is use the Warlords CD or CIV IV Gold CD, whichever you have.

Civsassin,

I think that Inferno was replying to my question about having Civ IV and BtS but not Warlords. I was wondering what the effect was on gameplay, content, etc.

Civsassin,

I think that Inferno was replying to my question about having Civ IV and BtS but not Warlords. I was wondering what the effect was on gameplay, content, etc.

Can you have BTS without Warlords?

Can you have BTS without Warlords?

That's my question. It's a matter of curiosity more than practicality. I haven't made a purchase yet, but have played demos.

I think I'm going to run it on my Mac, but through BootCamp. I'm tired of getting screamed at for being under the requirements for not having a standalone video card.

That's my question. It's a matter of curiosity more than practicality. I haven't made a purchase yet, but have played demos.

I think I'm going to run it on my Mac, but through BootCamp. I'm tired of getting screamed at for being under the requirements for not having a standalone video card.

I may be wrong, but I think you need Warlords to run BTS.

I may be wrong, but I think you need Warlords to run BTS.

YOU ARE WRONG!

As has been said already and should be picked up easily by anyone.

You don't need warlords ot run BTS. The only thing that Warlords has that BTS doesn't is specific scenarios that were created for warlords. end of discussion.

BTS includes Warlords' new gameplay features and mechanics, but as mrt144 said, you need the latter to get its scenarios.

I feel I need to clarify in one post what others have said!

If you have CivIV and BTS the only thing you will lack is the Warlords scenarios! Everything else is included in BTS... so if you don't play scenarios don't bother getting it.

Sorry if i have repeated what others have said in a different way, was just confusing to someone who did not know :)

Sorry if I caused a row. I appreciate all of your replies and the clarifications.

I've not played much Civilization before (but have a couple of friends who are major fans). Given that the difference in cost between purchasing all three and only purchasing Civ IV and one expansion is a mere $10 (when purchased over Steam).

I suppose I could also purchase Civ IV Gold and BtS for the same $60 on disk.

Anyone have thoughts about which way to go?

Thanks, again!

Well, if you want to play with the Warlords rules (say, having great generals and the Warlords leaders but no espionage and no AP), or maybe you want to play the Warlords Game of the Month), you'll need to own the Warlords expansion.

Top Bottom