Adding new Resource Yields to Future Techs

Interesting bug... For some reason, the lines between techs do not show up for my Future Techs. I'd thought they were drawn automatically by the game. Guess I'm wrong, or I mucked something up writing my new Techs... Any ideas how to fix this?

Probably a silly question but did you define prereqtechs for these FutureTechs?

If you take closer look at the picture you can see there are some preregs. But the problem is that you defined it with <AndPreReqs>. It just puts the prereg tech button to the right corner. But if you use <OrPreReqs> it draws the lines to those techs. In example for the Future Recreations... it could look like this:
Code:
			<OrPreReqs>
				<PrereqTech>TECH_FUSION</PrereqTech>
			</OrPreReqs>
			<AndPreReqs>
				<PrereqTech>TECH_GENETICS</PrereqTech>
			</AndPreReqs>
It draws line to fusion tech but the genetics stays in the right corner of the tech(no lines).

And if you're worried that your techs will not work as you want, understand that having a single OR prerech is exactly the same as having it as an AND prereq.

So here you just need to pick any one AND tech and move it to be an OR tech. Pick the one you would like to have the arrow come from. In this case Fusion seems to be the most obvious choice.

PythonErr.log is strangely empty... It's very weird. It's as if the files I've directed CvTechChooser.py to load for those three techs (through CIV4ArtDefines_Interface.xml) are blank files. Not that they don't exist, just that they are empty somehow... I say that because normally, if you direct the game to a non-existent graphic, you'll get either an error message while loading, that fuchsia box we all know, or both; and I'm getting neither.

But, and here's the really weird bit, I even tried directing one of my entries in CIV4ArtDefines_Interface.xml to an existing and known good file (the Happiness.dds that FT's normally use in this case), and it still loads blank in the Tech Adviser screen. but only for my three new techs.

Have you tried directing them to non-existent files? Sometimes forcing an error is the only investigative option you have. They showed up before. Did you change anything else when you changed the OR prereq? If not, are you positive?

OK, I was finally able to force an error, by renaming in CIV4ArtDefines_Interface.xml the Happiness.dds file entry, I finally got a fuchsia box! Yay! (why am I cheering for having broken something...? :crazyeye:)

I was only able to finally get that error to happen by disabling the CIV4ArtDefines_Interface file that comes with BUG. I have a copy of it in my CA folder, and my changes for the Tech icons are in there.

The only other thing I'd done when I moved Fusion to an OR prereq was to edit the dds files a teeny bit. I only adjusted the white + in the top-left corner, and I used the same program I always do, Dxtbmp. I just can't understand how a thing works, and then doesn't work. What the heck am I missing??? :confused:

OK, I'm laying this stupid error with the Tech pics not showing up to the side for the moment. EF, do you think it would be possible to instruct the game to accept hitting the [Enter] key as well as clicking on "OK" for the two save game dialogue boxes? At the moment, they both take only a mouse-click, and I'd like if possible to allow the [Enter] key to also work for those two buttons (the "Save your game" dialogue & the "OK to overwrite" dialogue. I figure this is probably a Python thing, thus I'm asking you...

AFAIK these dialog boxes are in the SDK. They are definitely not in Python. They probably foresaw no need to allow them to be modded. And if they had made ENTER act like clicking the default button, I would have agreed. :mad:

You might want to use the Quick Save feature in BTS that saves the game using the default file name. It works just like CTRL + S and clicking OK. I don't know if it overwrites files or not.

The SDK only builds the DLL. Firaxis did not provide the source code for the EXE, and that's where those dialog boxes are built and controlled.

All I want for Christmas is a release of the EXE and instructions on how to compile new versions for ourselves :) I mean, they already removed the requirement for a disk, so there isn't anything we can do with the EXE that would be bad, right? I wanna play with the few things not exposed!

That's a hardware issue mostly. You can try to optimize your mod, but basically if you ever get one, unless you cut back a LOT of what is in your mod, or reconfigure your system, you will always get them EVENTUALLY (ie - you can maybe push it back to turn 1000 instead of turn 400, or if you keep on adding more you can eventually get it up to turn 20...)

I have a link in my sig for how to help your system supply more memory for Civ.

Top Bottom