7 new screenshots and more information emerges from GDC (8th March 2012)

I really dont think Firaxis would screw up this big on the preview by "accidentally" showing us 2 new civs like the Zulu and Huns. I would wager that the only Civ's on the map are the 5 that have already been confirmed.

I did look closely at the icon of the building being constructed in Amsterdam and it looks like a corner store w/ a car - I think its a modern era commerce building, like a mall or shopping center.

I rather like this one, because of some of the abilities we saw in the first set of screenshots and for the diplomatic connotations. What good would it be to take the faith ability to get a bonus against a city with your religion, if all 10 civs can have their own religion? With only half the civs being able to found a religion, that means the other half would likely end up as followers of that religion. This also ties into the difference between found and follower beliefs.

Not look at the diplomatic side of this. My civ founds a religion and spreads it to the neighboring civ. The civ on the other side of them founds a different religion. I spend the faith to get missionaries to help spread the religion to my neighbor's cities faster. Neither of us cares much for the civ with that other religion, so it bring us closer and increases the chance I can get my neighbor to fight them for me or even with me.

This also means we won't see every religion in every game.

So I think this is a welcome change to how religions were founded and worked in Civ 4.

I agree with you, Monthar. I thought I had read that religion in G&K will not be a dominant feature but the way some are talking, they want it to rule. Doesn't anyone remember how bad religion was implemented in Civ4?

Huns fit with Rome scenario.
Huns fit with Tengrism.
Huns fit with the new composite bow.
Huns are Asiatic in an already heavily Euro cast of civilizations.

The Mongols came a good 1000 years after the Huns so it isn't far fetched to consider they have a place. Consider a horseman/chariot archer UU.

The story of sedentary cities fighting nomadic pastoralists is one of the dominant patterns in world history.

Huns confirmed.

PCG: But there are a couple religious scenarios.

Beach: We have one that highlights the religion system and how to mod it. We have another one—the Celts and the Huns and the Byzantines—we’re introducing that set of three new civilizations and we decided that a fall of Rome scenario would be perfect. And then the third scenario we’re shipping with is an interesting departure. We actually have a steampunk Victorian-era science fiction scenario that’s an interesting departure from the usual historical fare.

Yeah, I'm just struggling to imagine the Huns as a civ if Atilla's Court is the name of the capital. What's the 27th city name going to be?

Yeah, I'm just struggling to imagine the Huns as a civ if Atilla's Court is the name of the capital. What's the 27th city name going to be?

This has to be a typo a barbarian city state is the only thing that even makes any sense.
No one is even sure what the huns even looked like they could have looked like Cossacks for all
anyone knows. As far as I know there aren't any unbiased sources.

I wouldn't put too much stock (or finality) into screenshots/features that are 2+ months away from release.

snarzberry, you actually made me laugh. Well it will presumably be "New Atilla's Court". In all seriousness though, there's no reason to believe it's the capital. And I guess this rules out the Sioux, but then I didn't really want them anyway. Well I guess we'll just see how they implement them. I just don't know if the game really needs another horse-focused civ. Then again, that's just me complaining because I prefer infantry units.

Do they even have people with an understanding of history and social science on the staff?

It could be just a civ they added for the scenario like you'd make for a mod.
At least I hope so. You know the Hungarians believe they were the huns of old and that
they were a European people. They could just be adding a Eastern European civ.

"Limited stacking" has me worried. I really hope thats only for naval units and civilians, melee + ranged unit stacking would suck, it would make the mounted units even more useless than they are now

"limited stacking" worries me. Hopefully it's just for naval units and civilian units (worker vs. GG, etc.)

"Limited stacking" is almost undoubtedly referring to the new embarked unit / naval unit stacking they've already talked about.

I really hope you are right, that limited stacking only means embarked unit with a naval unit.

At least we have better res screenshots. It does seem like an Arsenal in Rotterdam or Military Base is being built.

Amsterdam looks like it's building a shopping mall/supermarket. No idea what Rotter is making. Looks like a military base icon, somehow...

You people worry too much about how Firaxis defines a "civilization." It's clearly a loosely defined term to refer to any historical people. There's no specific criteria needed to be included in the game so don't get so worked up over it. I really would not mind the inclusion of any "civilization" as long as there's some historical basis for them.

You people worry too much about how Firaxis defines a "civilization." It's clearly a loosely defined term to refer to any historical people. There's no specific criteria needed to be included in the game so don't get so worked up over it. I really would not mind the inclusion of any "civilization" as long as there's some historical basis for them.

As far as anyone knows they didn't even build any cities.

I hope that not being able to build cities or restrict their cities should be a special ability, and compensate that with immense bonus to warfare.

Top Bottom