Let's discuss AI

I have to agree with The QC, you're both lying and dreaming, or the other way around. And even if you were not, you really cannot compare TBS and RTS in that matter, as it's been explained before. In RTS you don't need to have a real smart AI as it can compensate by speed (where you have no chance to beat it). And come on in AoE, you don't have as many variables as in Civ (far from that), it's also much easier to program.

You two remind me of the Pokemon fanbois in 3rd grade who when told that chess is a better game than Pokemon would scream "LIAR LIAR" rofl.
Moderator Action: Don't troll around.

This. I wish the AI could be taught to play defensively. Better yet ... when at war could the AI be programmed to either play At War Offensively where it is trying to invade your land and take your cities, or play at War Defensively where it takes up defensive positions and is only trying to thwart your attack. Even if the AI does not succeed it would at least make it tougher for the human opponent and make you suffer as many casualties as possible increasing the opportunity cost of going to war. This to me would be a major improvement.

I thought I read somewhere that the problem they had with the size of the map and 1UPT in particular with CS is that the units would occupy every space so they had to make them move or shuffle around so the map would not get gridlocked. Isn't this why we see some of the bad AI moves that take them out of the position or end up with a ranged next to a melee where they should just fortify up?

^ this and this, thus why the only difficulty level available is throwing endless resources at a crappy AI and call it "harder" instead of doing what AoE did which is give different strategy improvements to the AI.

Simply implementing a learning AI using a skilled software analysis team then scaling it back or giving the HUMAN resource advantages at lower levels would solve the problem.

Top Bottom