North Korea: "We don't have nuclear weapons"

luiz

Trendy Revolutionary
After quite sometime claiming that they have the bomb, Pyongyang now claims they have no "uranium-based weapon" whatsoever and adopted a conciliatory tone.

N. Korea signals cooperation in nuclear talks
Pyongyang says it may offer proof it has no uranium weapons program
From Mike Chinoy
CNN

PYONGYANG, North Korea (CNN) -- North Korea's chief nuclear negotiator said that Pyongyang may be willing to offer proof that it does not have a uranium-based weapons program, which the United States claims it does.

The apparently conciliatory gesture from Vice Foreign Minister Kim Gye Kwan comes ahead of a planned resumption of six-party talks at the end of the month aimed at getting North Korea to dismantle its nuclear program.

North and South Korea, China, Japan, Russia and the United States have been taking part in those talks.

One of the most contentious issues at the negotiations has been Washington's claim that North Korea has a secret uranium weapons program in addition to its declared plutonium one.

In a rare interview with CNN in the North Korean capital, Kim repeated Pyongyang's denial that it has a uranium-based program. But in a hint to the United States that North Korea is willing to compromise, he said the issue was open to negotiation.

"We don't have any uranium-based weapons program, but in the future if there is any kind of evidence that needs to be clarified we will be fully prepared to do so." he said.

Kim also said North Korea wants to pursue a peaceful nuclear program and is willing to adopt "strict supervision" of its nuclear facilities.

"As we resolve the nuclear issue we are willing to return to the NPT (nuclear non-proliferation treaty) and fully abide by IAEA (U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency) safeguards.

Pyongyang ordered U.N. nuclear inspectors out of the country in December 2002, and pulled out of the NPT the following month.

"If someone is concerned with regard to our possible nuclear activities which could lead up to the manufacture of nuclear weapons out of the operations of a light-water nuclear reactor, then we can leave the operations under strict supervision," Kim said.

"The U.S. itself can have direct participation or the U.S. can pick a nation that they trust."

However, Kim said his country would not bend on the key issue that has stalled the talks -- it will not obey any directive to abandon all of its nuclear programs, including one for nuclear energy.

"We would like to pursue peaceful nuclear energy power generation and this is a quite urgent issue that faces our nation," Kim said. "And this is a very appropriate policy in light of the economic situation of our country. That is why we cannot make a concession in this field."

Kim said that Pyongyang was looking carefully at what appears to be the Bush administration's recent conciliatory tone and said he would bring a sincere and business-like attitude to the next round of talks. But he warned that any U.S. attempt to promote a change of regime in North Korea was destined to fail.

After meeting for 13 straight days, diplomats from the six countries involved decided last weekend to take a recess.

The six-party talks are scheduled to resume on August 29.

In an effort to promote a non-nuclear Korean Peninsula, CNN founder Ted Turner and a small delegation from his Nuclear Threat Initiative arrived in North Korea Saturday for a two-day visit.

Turner's visit will focus on environmental issues and he is looking into the possibility of turning the DMZ, the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea, into a peace park.

After his visit to North Korea, Turner plans to stop in South Korea for a conference.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/08/13/nkorea.nuclear/index.html

So, are they afraid of military action or did they receive a fat bribe from the US?
IMO the last option is the obvious one.

Indeed the guy said "uranium-based" instead of nuclear, but if they actually have plutonium based on this guy would be one tricky bastard, and it would really be a provocation that I'm not sure is one their best interests.

Too early to tell. However, after that mysterious explosion near the border with China, a lot of folks were virtually certain North Korea had The Bomb.

Something of which I would like to remind North Korea's self-centered jack-booted goose-stepping government thugs (no offense meant): the United States experiences a regime change every four to eight years.

luiz said:
Indeed the guy said "uranium-based" instead of nuclear, but if they actually have plutonium based on this guy would be one tricky bastard, and it would really be a provocation that I'm not sure is one their best interests.
Maybe he actually mentioned "uranium-based" to leave a doubt on this. It could have been done on purpose to sound conciliatory without sounding as raising the white flag.

Well, no matter what he has in mind and what he has in hand, that guy is truely pathetic. Announcing proudly we have the nuclear weapon to say afterwards we don't have uranium-based weapon is rather silly. The only feeling I have is that it's getting even harder to know where are the lies and where is the truth. And I don't consider this as a good news.

Why would NK deny having nuclear weapons? The threat of nuclear weapons is a very good incentive not to attack the country. This makes no sence.

It makes some sense. It leaves the hint of nuclear, plutonium weapons... but it also implies they don't have any signigicant weapons. We'll wee if anyone faults them for their wording "error".

I am so tired of playing this little game with NK. Something needs to be done about them now, all past measures have failed. I think withdrawing troops from SK will really enlighten the people there of the horrendous situation. Let's see how they like not having a defensive shield against a "very good country who America bullies with a great leader Jong and his happy people". SK needs to face the facts.

ligertiger said:
I am so tired of playing this little game with NK. Something needs to be done about them now, all past measures have failed. I think withdrawing troops from SK will really enlighten the people there of the horrendous situation. Let's see how they like not having a defensive shield against a "very good country who America bullies with a great leader Jong and his happy people". SK needs to face the facts.

YAY after all SK are only the second largest contributor of troops to Iraq after the UK.
EDIT: An of course SK has contributed to US forces in Vietnam not to mention is a client state for US miitray technology / hardware.

And anyway SK are already developing there own nuclear weapons.

FriendlyFire said:
YAY after all SK are only the second largest contributor of troops to Iraq after the UK.
EDIT: An of course SK has contributed to US forces in Vietnam not to mention is a client state for US miitray technology / hardware.

Yea, they also have a huge population that believes that NK is a great country and America sucks. We can get our tech and videogames from Japan thank you very much

Meleager said:
Why would NK deny having nuclear weapons? The threat of nuclear weapons is a very good incentive not to attack the country. This makes no sence.
Scenario in which it would: U.S. agents discover North Korea doesn't actually have nukes, and North Korea finds out about the leak. If the U.S. makes the info public, North Korea is revealed to be bluffing and looks bad. If North Korea says it first, North Korea reduces the political damage.

But then, that's just a wild guess.

It could just be North Korea's leaders acting like idiots. This situation isn't required to make sense.

Meleager said:

Maybe they are trying to shift Americas all-seeing eye towards Iran. Its not in NKs interests to be American enemy number one.

Also, I'm not sure about the involved semantics, but could this not mean that NK has already built some uranium weapons and so has halted the program to build more?

ligertiger said:
Yea, they also have a huge population that believes that NK is a great country and America sucks. We can get our tech and videogames from Japan thank you very much

lol

a little correction

tech from China

Meleager said:

Israel is also leaving the world uncertain about whether they have nuclear weapons.

Winner said:
Israel is also leaving the world uncertain about whether they have nuclear weapons.
But nobody doubts that Israel has up to 200 warheads.

I think the uncertainty is mainly about the extent of Israel's nuke capabilities, not whether Israel has nukes at all. It's been revealed that Great Britain was the country that gave Israel its nuke technology. I wonder why and how that happened. It makes me want to take a closer look at certain politically incorrect controversial theories. But it was a good move regardless since Israel would never attack any good country.

Why doesn't the US offer the NK leaders a deal for reunifying Korea? How about give Kim Jung Il and his band a sweet retirement deal like make them all millionares and if that's not enough arrange for them to have a permanent place at the Playboy Mansion or something ... I'm sure something could be worked out. That would be much better than just bribing them. If you bribe them then they could ask for another bribe or their successors could ask for another bribe. If you bribe them to give up their power, then you'll never have to bribe anyone there again.

FriendlyFire said:

I thought they stopped, especially after their past program was found out about.

Meleager said:
Why would NK deny having nuclear weapons?

They haven't denied that. You were just confused by the thread title ;)

NK has already confirmed it has nuclear weapons. The program that we know for sure about already is the plutonium based program. However US intelligence believes that NK may very well also have a secret uranium based program. NK is just denying that it has a separate secret uranium based program.

It's like with the Iran situation. There are the nuclear programs and reactors we know about that have a civillian cover but it was long thought by Israeli intelligence that there was a separate non-civilian military program ... but Israeli intelligence now says that there probably isn't a separate military program.

Top Bottom