Installation Bug - Catastrophic Error When Inserting Disc 2

rsalinger

Chieftain
When I put the second install cd into the drive, I get a catastrophic error message indicating that some file cannot be found. I have 2 cd drives and I get the same error in either one. The only thing non standard about my machine is that it doesn't have a "C" drive. Rather I have a raid array which is called "F". I wonder if anyone else has had this problem specifically. I noticed a few other posters with this error when I did a search, but I couldn't see that anyone had come up with a solution. Help needed!
Rgrds-Ross

Welcome to CFC!

While it is possible that you received a defective disc, let's operate on the assumption that you didn't... First, call tech support. I spent an hour and a half working with tech support before I finally got the game to install on my computer. They were friendly and really did want to help.

I don't have any experience with raid arrays, but one of the questions tech support asked me was if I had any virtual drives. When I told them "no" the response I got was "Good." Apparently Civ IV doesn't like non-standard configurations. That may be the problem here.

Can you verify the presence of the supposedly missing file? If it tells you which file is missing, can you explore the CD and find that file actually present? If it is actually present, then you could probably get around the problem by copying the contents of both disks to one folder on your main drive, then installing from that folder instead of from the discs.

In the end Take2 have agreed to take the discs back. I have proof of purchase and they look perfect. I tried to copy the cab file from the second disk onto my hard drive and to install from there, but I haven't tried installing after copying both disks, so that's a helpful suggestion. I'll give that a shot, but I'm pretty certain that I'll just mail them back tomorrow for a new set and see what happens.
Rgrds-Ross

When I put the second install cd into the drive, I get a catastrophic error message indicating that some file cannot be found. I have 2 cd drives and I get the same error in either one. The only thing non standard about my machine is that it doesn't have a "C" drive. Rather I have a raid array which is called "F". I wonder if anyone else has had this problem specifically. I noticed a few other posters with this error when I did a search, but I couldn't see that anyone had come up with a solution. Help needed!
Rgrds-Ross

I had this problem. Couldn't get around it. Turned out that my disk 1 was from the Collector's version of Civ4 and disk 2 was the regular version. Disk 2 worked fine as soon as I got the matching Disk 1, so it wasn't damaged in any way. I guess that's what I get for buying multiple copies...

Seems like the problem was pretty much a bad error message from Firaxis.

They also tell me that "The Movies are installed incorrectly" when I turn them off in the options.

Top Bottom