Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Germany - Konrad Adenauer

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • America - Ronald Reagan

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

DAv2003

Prince
After the last poll detailing those who have been called the great, this one is for those who have been voted the title of the Greatest by their country. I can't say I agree with all of them but they were the ones chosen. Do you agree with them? Feel free to comment!

I don't know what all of them did, but (at the risk of seeming cliched) of the ones I know I'd say Mandela. But I'll forego voting until I've heard a bit more about the rest of the field.

I must also say that I'm rather ashamed that my fellow countrymen chose a man like Churchill as their "greatest" representative.

How the hell did Ronnie get picked last?

I just put them in no particular order. Just going for which ones I found first.

I must also say that I'm rather ashamed that my fellow countrymen chose a man like Churchill as their "greatest" representative.

Why? He did lead the country through it's darkest hour. Are you reffering to the Dresden bombings?

I don't see that "leading the country through its darkest hour" is particularly worthy of note. He was prime minister during a war. Is that such a great achievement? Shouldn't more credit go to the generals and indeed all the troops who actually fought and won the thing? Stalin led the USSR during the same period - and the Russians suffered far more in the war than the British did and played a greater role in defeating Hitler - yet I don't see many people defending him as a great man because of it.

I dislike Churchill (to put it mildly) not just for the bombing of Dresden but for a host of other things too. I think it ironic that the Americans seem to love Churchill, and even name ships after him, given that during the First World War he did everything he could to withhold from the Americans intelligence about German submarine activity, in the hope that the Germans would sink an American ship, kill lots of Americans, and persuade the US to enter the war. And of course, that's exactly what did happen.

Here are some nice comments from this charming character that give you some insight into his views:

Winston Churchill said:
I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race has come in and taken their place.

Winston Churchill said:
The Indians of East Africa are mainly of a low class of coolies and the idea of equality with Europeans is revolting to every white man in British East Africa.

As defence secretary in 1919-20, Churchill was responsible for putting down insurgency in Iraq, at that time occupied by Britain. He authorised not only the bombing of insurgents but also the large-scale gassing of civilians, mostly Kurds (he ordered this in the Soviet Union at roughly the same time, too). His comment on the morality of this?

Winston Churchill said:
I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas… I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes (to) spread a lively terror…

Churchill never gave up his addiction to the pursuit of warfare through mass murder and terror... Consider this memo he sent, as prime minister, during the last stages of World War II. At least this plan was never carried out.

Winston Churchill said:
GENERAL ISMAY FOR C.O.S. COMMITTEE [underlined]

1. I want you to think very seriously over this question of poison gas. I would not use it unless it could be shown either that (a) it was life or death for us, or (b) that it would shorten the war by a year.

2. It is absurd to consider morality on this topic when everybody used it in the last war without a word of complaint from the moralists or the Church. On the other hand, in the last war bombing of open cities was regarded as forbidden. Now everybody does it as a matter of course. It is simply a question of fashion changing as she does between long and short skirts for women.

3. I want a cold-blooded calculation made as to how it would pay us to use poison gas, by which I mean principally mustard. We will want to gain more ground in Normandy so as not to be cooped up in a small area. We could probably deliver 20 tons to their 1 and for the sake of the 1 they would bring their bomber aircraft into the area against our superiority, thus paying a heavy toll.

4. Why have the Germans not used it? Not certainly out of moral scruples or affection for us. They have not used it because it does not pay them. The greatest temptation ever offered to them was the beaches of Normandy. This they could have drenched with gas greatly to the hindrance of the troops. That they thought about it is certain and that they prepared against our use of gas is also certain. But they only reason they have not used it against us is that they fear the retaliation. What is to their detriment is to our advantage.

5. Although one sees how unpleasant it is to receive poison gas attacks, from which nearly everyone recovers, it is useless to protest that an equal amount of H. E. will not inflict greater casualties and sufferings on troops and civilians. One really must not be bound within silly conventions of the mind whether they be those that ruled in the last war or those in reverse which rule in this.

6. If the bombardment of London became a serious nuisance and great rockets with far-reaching and devastating effect fell on many centres of Government and labour, I should be prepared to do [underline] anything [stop underline] that would hit the enemy in a murderous place. I may certainly have to ask you to support me in using poison gas. We could drench the cities of the Ruhr and many other cities in Germany in such a way that most of the population would be requiring constant medical attention. We could stop all work at the flying bomb starting points. I do not see why we should have the disadvantages of being the gentleman while they have all the advantages of being the cad. There are times when this may be so but not now.

7. I quite agree that it may be several weeks or even months before I shall ask you to drench Germany with poison gas, and if we do it, let us do it one hundred per cent. In the meanwhile, I want the matter studied in cold blood by sensible people and not by that particular set of psalm-singing uniformed defeatists which one runs across now here now there. Pray address yourself to this. It is a big thing and can only be discarded for a big reason. I shall of course have to square Uncle Joe and the President; but you need not bring this into your calculations at the present time. Just try to find out what it is like on its merits.

Here is an interesting piece on Churchill. There's a rather shriller one here that nevertheless has some good information.

I think the fact that this person was voted the Greatest Briton, ahead of figures like Newton, Shakespeare, and Darwin, is a sad comment upon both the historical knowledge and the values of British people today. It's also a striking example of how adulatory myth-making around certain figures can create a generally accepted legend that has only a tangential relationship with the truth. Of course, old Winston knew that too...

Winston Churchill said:
I know how I shall be judged by history, as I shall write it.

My god... Half the choices on there are absolutely terrible, the other half, obscure and thus rather tough candidates for greatness. How in the gods' names did DeGaulle and Reagan end up on there? :vomit:

I must abstain.

This is probably coated with bias, but I voted for Tommy Douglas, mainly because his greatness is based on building a better life for the ordinary people of Canada rather than on the battlefield.

I voted for Tommy too, because I like health care. Mandela is a close second, and perhaps would have been first were it not for my Canadian bias. Reagan was a bastard, he deserves nomination even less than Churchill does.

Losers all. I abstained.

I voted for Ronnie. You know defeating communism and all that. I don't think tommy douglas is the greatest Canadian, so I couldn't vote for the Canadian option, maybe if someone decent like Sir John A. was selected, my vote would have been different.

Tommy Douglas all the way. Huzzah for free healthcare!

Tommy Douglas. The best thing to ever come out of Saskatechewan!

Mandela first and only choice (then again, I'm not too informed about the Canadian and Finnish options)

isn't there a Nazi quote that Hitler basically just did what Churchill did, except he applied it on European Jews not native in colonies.

jamiethearcher said:
I voted for Ronnie. You know defeating communism and all that. I don't think tommy douglas is the greatest Canadian, so I couldn't vote for the Canadian option, maybe if someone decent like Sir John A. was selected, my vote would have been different.

I don't see how Regan could be credited with the Cold War victory. The end of the Cold War came with the fall of the Berlin Wall and Gorbachev with Glastnost, neither of which were spurred by anything Regan did.

For what it's worth, I didn't vote for Tommy Douglas either for the greatest Canadian, I voted for Lester Pearson. Still, I think he's the best option in the list above (though I admit there are a couple with whom I am not familliar).

I wouldn't have voted Churchill as the greatest Brit either, I'd have voted for Sir Isaac Newton, and for greatest American I'd have chosen Jimi Hendrix.

I'll give a bit of background on Tommy Douglas since he's not very well known outside of Canada.

Ironically, he's the founder of a party which has never been elected federally, the New Democratic Party (basically Canada's equivalent of the Labour Party).

He was a Baptist minister from the Praries, who took up the cause of social justice, and was eventually elected Premier of the province of Saskatchewan. From there he moved to Federal politics where he led the NDP during the minority government of Lester Pearson. Holding the balance of power, he was able to influence Pearson to creating many social programmes which Canadians today view as nation defining, most notably our public healthcare system (which is currently in disarra, but that's a whole other story).

He is also the grandfather of Kieffer Sutherland.

This is one of the strangest polls I have ever seen.
With a couple of exceptions (Douglas, Mandela)I find most of those people more than worthy of my contempt.
Why exactly those countries are chosen is also not completely clear to me.
@Plotinus::goodjob: as usual. I agree on the assessment of Churchill.
Ukas said:
How exactly did Ronnie defeat communism?
He didn't.
He was just as big a scumbag as Churchill.

@luceafarul: In Canada, they held a televised contest (that went on for a month or so) where you could vote for the greatest Canadian. I'm guessing that the other countries on that list also made something like that, and the winners are the ones that have been chosen.

pboily said:
@luceafarul: In Canada, they held a televised contest (that went on for a month or so) where you could vote for the greatest Canadian. I'm guessing that the other countries on that list also made something like that, and the winners are the ones that have been chosen.
We had a vote for the greatest American and Ronald Reagan won, beating G.W. and Lincoln:wow:

Top Bottom