Mac Civ4 vs Windows Civ4

timerover51

Deity
I might be a very rare individual in having copies of both the Windows and Mac versions of Civ4. I have not played much on either machine, the Windows version is on my son's laptop, and my Mac can just run it as a minimum system, and I do mean minimum. However, I noticed that the screens for the custom game looked different, and compared them to each other. The results are as follows.

The Mac has three additional custom controls that are not presently on the Windows version.

1. New Random Seed on Reload: Checking this will change the starting number in the Random Number Generator for combat results. So, if you do not like the combat results you are getting, save the game and then reload it, which should change what is happening, for better or worse or the same.

2. Lock Modified Assests: This locks the games assets so no one can change the map, resources, of units on you.

3. Require Complete Kills: To totally eliminate an opponent's civilization, you have to not only capture all of his cities, but kill every last one of his/her units. If you are on a big naval map, this could be a read pain to do.

Map Differences:

The Mac version of the map maker has three additional maps compared to the PC version. They are Fantasy Realm, Fractal, and Shuffle. I have not looked at any of them, but the Fantasy Realm sounds very interesting. Be interesting to have some Mac mods that Windows people cannot play as they do not have the needed map support.

Once I have the time to look at the maps and compare them, I will post my observations. I am not at all thrilled with the Civ4 Worldbuilder being bundled inside the game, but it is handy to use it to take a look at the entire map you are on. It would be nice if it gave you the information on the tiles as you moused over them, as in the Civ3 editors. I am still not sure what some of the resources should look like.

I very much doubt if the Mac version has extra features. I suspect you are running the PC version on a reduced resolution, and you just need to scroll the screen down to see those extra menu options.

Those six things are all in the PC version, as well. Definitively so.

I am pretty sure that my son has not downloaded the newest patch, which is evidently the cause of the differences. I still need to look at the fantasy map though.

So the Mac version, with the patch, is identical to the 1.61 PC version feature and gameplay wise?

I'm pretty sure that's the case. Aspyr have just ported the 1.61 functionality. They certainly wouldn't have had time or permission to modify or extend the game. The only difference I am aware of is that the Mac version is incompatible with Windows SDK-based mods, and has no SDK of its own.

AlanH said:
I'm pretty sure that's the case. Aspyr have just ported the 1.61 functionality. They certainly wouldn't have had time or permission to modify or extend the game. The only difference I am aware of is that the Mac version is incompatible with Windows SDK-based mods, and has no SDK of its own.
Ok, was just checking to make sure I'm not missing anything if I buy the Mac version. I've been a PC user all my life, but I plan to make the switch in the coming months.

Top Bottom