Mac or Windows Civ4 for new iMac?

locust628

Chieftain
I have a new 20" Core2 Duo iMac with 2GB RAM. I'd much prefer running the Mac version of Civ4, but not if performance is markedly inferior to the Windows version. I don't like the thought of rebooting every time I want to play, and I'd prefer not having to run Parallels through a Boot Camp partition (leads to disabled features).

Is it a mistake to get the Mac version? I don't plan on using mods, etc.-- just want to play the basic game. But, I want smooth gameplay at high graphics levels. It is a new computer, after all.

Thanks!

Civ IV will not run in parallels at all. If you want to use the windows version you'll have to reboot.

That said. The mac version currently works well on most systems (though not as well as the windows version). The sticking point is that on some systems it seems to experience weird errors, and this doesn't seem to be linked to the actual hardware in use AFAIK, it's very odd.

On your new imac Civ should run fine. Try it. Some people get unusual errors. if you in a serious game: SAVE OFTEN. Just in case.

On my MPB (intel core duo 2, 2g's ram, 256 vid card (XT1600)) civ runs well.

I have the windows version too (via boot camp). And I must say Windows plays better. But much of that is due to mods. .

Forget Parallels. It will not run Civ4.

the main downside to using an imac is that you get that funky color glitch

Personally I would go for windows. Rebooting is worth the effort for the increased performance. On your new machine, rebooting should take seconds. Civ4 for windows (bootcamp) even runs fine on high graphics settings on my macbook (not pro) with integrated graphics.

If you have a decent video card and plenty of RAM, then I don't believe a current Intel-based Mac would have much problem giving you a smooth game in OS X.

If the following are important to you then Bootcamp and Windows are the way to go:

(a) Timeliness and compatibility with new versions - Beyond the Sword is imminent for Windows, but there's not one whisper about a Mac version. I'm also willing to bet there will be a patch to vanilla and/or Warlords when BtS is released, which could leave Mac players totally out of date.

(b) Compatibility with mods.

(c) Multi-player compatibility. Not my cup of tea, but there are reports of loss of synchronisation problems with Mac-Windows and even Mac-Mac.

The downsides to Bootcamp/Windows are:

(a) Rebooting. Personally, I refuse to reboot away from my native working environment just to play a game.

(b) You have to buy, install and learn to operate Windows

Compatibiliy? That is a weak word
Weak? A mod is either compatible or incompatible. I'm saying *all* mods are incompatible. As far as I can recall, *no* Windows-originated mods work in the Mac version. Sure, there are "sophisitcated SDK-based mods" that can't be made to work at all, but the rest still involve a voyage of discovery. If you want to be able to use mods 'out of the box' then the Mac version doesn't cut it.

(d) Access to games (other than Civ 4, e.g. Caesar IV).
... is off topic. The OP wants to know whether to buy Civ4 for Wndows or Mac .

Sorry. On the first point, I meant to point out that compatibility sounded like marriage: sometimes two people are compatible out of the box, sometimes it takes a bit of work, sometimes it is a divorce.

On the second, I really was saying if you are going to buy Civ IV Windows, you have to invest in Windows and Bootcamp. A mitigating factor against the investment is the accessibility to other games.

Didn't mean to offend you. I think it is great you run this forum without playing the Mac version (if I understand one of your previous posts).

No offence taken.

I don't play either version :)

I'm no saint. I'm just a geek who gets his kicks out of making things work. Retired from a life of crime in the IT industry, I still need a regular fix of coding and debugging to keep my remaining grey cell alive.

I'm also a virtual Civ4 player. One of these days ...

What is your game?
It was Civ3, to the extent that I've not been able to break those habits to learn the new ones I need for Civ4.

Top Bottom