Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

This question has probably been asked a dozen times, but I can;t find any iteration of the no-raze patch that works with steam. Could anyone provide a link to one that works for them?
I've tied Ares's patch, it didn't work, I tried
https://steamcommunity.com/app/3910/discussions/0/618458030680002601/
off of the steam forums, but to no avail.

Even since I lost the discs, I've had to use this dumb steam version that CTD's as soon as I launch it with no raze.

Hi - new to these forums but I've been playing and loving Civ 3 for years. Glad to have found an active community I can discuss this game with!

I was wondering if there is any way of changing the maximum allowed number of Civs in each world size? I'd like to play on a small or tiny map with a greater number of opponents than the game allows by default. I'm comfortable with editing config files if needed, I just don't know where to look or which setting to change!

Thanks.

If you want that, you had better use the editor, grotscif. Start a .biq with the desired size and change the number of factions. That way you can also adjust the number of resources to match.

Also, welcome to the forums.

@Inexist: I don't have the Steam version.

Anyone exactly know what kind of sorting applies for cycling through cities via arrows inside city screen? My guess: in linear order by date of founding for ALL civ's cities on map. Then some city is destroyed, his entry "frees" and new founded city can overwrite it. Awful for long wargames with some ICS. :(

It is sorted by the id. Every city has an id and whenever a city is founded the smallest free id is used for it. So if you start a game with 8 civs 8 cities are usually founded in the first turn, those use up the 8 first ids. Conquest tend to mix up the well established order of your cities and it does not even need be your conquest. Cities known or unkown to you are being destroyed by AI or vulcanos and the free id may then be used by a new city of yours. There is a total of 512 ids, more cities are not allowod on the map.

Thanks! So it is very close to my assumption.
There is a total of 512 ids, more cities are not allowod on the map.
So if I can ICS standart pangea with 200+ cities, then on huge one can definitely overrun this limit! Guess some samples can be found in HoF?

I believe Gramphos's Multi Tool will allow you to edit saved games - including revealing the map. However, I've never tried it for that purpose. I'm of a similar opinion as the Dragon Queen - discovery of a new map is part of the fun!

*Edit* X-post - I see you've already tried the Multi Tool. Maybe someone else can help you get it to work. Otherwise, the method I explained above would be the only other way.

*Edit 2* Just tried the Multi Tool on a 4,000BC autosave and it worked fine for revealing the map.
Yes,was my mistake using wrong C3MT,now loading last saves can see the position of boat(aztec spearman)... Now in other game can see all map loading a save,need just option 'export' in scenarios.
Thanks.

Ina scenario ,how do you disable the nationality description of an enslaved unit ?
Seen it somewhere but just cant find it

I was absolutely addicted as a kid, but it's been a long time, so: When I have multiple units in a space and they get attacked, which one of them defends first?

Does it sort the stack first by highest hit points and then by highest defense, does it sort the stack by highest defense then by highest hit points, or does it pick a defender randomly?

I'll give you a Quick Answer but I'm not 100% sure:

I think it's the highest scoring unit at the start of each battle, calculated as:

Defensive Value X Hit Points X Defensive Fortification Factor (i.e. Fortified versus Unfortified). :)

...So it is always wise to give elite attackers in stack (esp. like swordsmen) "sentr(y)" order instead of fortifying. Or just skip them. With robust number of primary defensive fortified units, of course.

Thanks! I was pretty sure that my go-to system as a kid (send offense units out into the map and keep the defense units in the cities, never a lot of bombardment in either one) was completely wrong (I should have had mixes of offense/defense/bombardment units in the map and in the cities), I just wanted to double check on the details.

...So it is always wise to give elite attackers in stack (esp. like swordsmen) "sentr(y)" order instead of fortifying. Or just skip them. With robust number of primary defensive fortified units, of course.
Ooh, good thought :)

This really only applies when your troops are inside walled towns/ cities, though.

Out in the field, you need to be more careful, because while there is still little difference (or none) between your 'attacker' and 'defender' base D-values, then unless the fortified vUnit gets a significant D-bonus from the terrain (+50% or better, i.e. Hills, Volcanoes, Mountains), the algorithm will almost always pick the eUnit to defend -- even if it is the most valuable in terms of shield-cost/promotions. And you can't fortify any M=1 units on the turn you cross into enemy territory, when your troops are at their most vulnerable.

If you're still in the initial stages of a war, it may actually be better to keep your eSwords in a front-line/ chokepoint city, to pick off the incoming on your turf: let the AI troops come to you, and kill/injure at least their fast-attackers, where you have the movement advantage (assuming roads -- you did build roads, right?). Once you go on the offensive, if you can be reasonably sure that you've killed the bulk of the AI's immediately available attackers, then by all means, send your eSwords along with the stack. If the AI is still throwing units at you though, it may be better to hold your eSwords behind your border, let your vUnits do the grunt work on the initial incursion(s), and then move the eSwords into your newly captured territory to help quell the enemy city(s), and be ready to fight off the next wave(s) (if any). (DON'T leave them in the city longer then 1T, though!)

Obviously this no longer applies after you get Feudalism/ Pikes -- a vPike, especially if fortified on a decent defensive tile, will almost always be assigned as top defender over an eSword or eMace. Including bombardment-units doesn't hurt either, if your stack is restricted to 1-tile moves anyway.

TL: DR
The above notwithstanding, there's a very simple way to know which unit will defend a stack (first) -- when no unit in that stack is the currently active unit, the defender will be the one that shows on top.

If you're playing at levels 1-5 and you have a good starting position, there is another strategy you might consider, Simpson17866.

Apart from the Warriors at the start of the game, focus on building offensive fast-moving units only. So build horsemen/knights/cavalry units. In levels 1-5 (and perhaps higher, too), you can play an offensive game and still win any way you want to. The AI will build mostly slow-moving (viz. 1 tile-at-a-time) units and your 2 or 3-tile units will give you much more bang for your buck........That's my personal approach, so I never spend much time thinking about defending cities.........Mostly, I'm thinking about attacking the AIs' cities! IMO, at levels 1-5, you don't need more than cavalry to wipe out any AI! (Of course, building veteran units is a good idea.....And, you'll probably get some army units from combat, along the way) ;)

My eyesight isn't what it used to be. Is there any way to change the font size in C3C? I don't see any entry in the .ini file that seems relevant.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be. Is there any way to change the font size in C3C? I don't see any entry in the .ini file that seems relevant.
Not sure about this one. You could try fiddling with the 'VideoMode' and 'KeepRes' settings... Assuming you're using a high-def monitor (or at least, higher def than the game was originally designed for), by setting VideoMode=1024, and turning native resolution off (KeepRes=0), you might get the gamescreen(s) (and hence the text) to show at a larger size on your monitor, but I make no promises that this will not have undesired side-effects (e.g. if you have a widescreen monitor, it may leave black bars either side, or distort the screen horizontally).

If you're playing at levels 1-5 and you have a good starting position, there is another strategy you might consider, Simpson17866.

Apart from the Warriors at the start of the game, focus on building offensive fast-moving units only. So build horsemen/knights/cavalry units.
*snip*
(Of course, building veteran units is a good idea.....And, you'll probably get some army units from combat, along the way) ;)
I second this. Speed kills, and being able to retreat out of harm's way after killing lone stragglers is also a plus. That said, if I'm planning to invade with Horses/Knights, and I get an MGL early enough, I quite like to build an 8-10HP defensive Army to cover my stack(s) in transit.
Spoiler :
Depending on what I've got available, I might use 2 vSpears or vSwords for the initial push, add a Pike once I get to Feudalism, and possibly even a Musket if I've managed to build the Pentagon early enough*: such a 4-unit Army would have a max. base D-value of ~5.8 (and 16-20HP) when the Musket defends, so the AI-troops won't dare touch it before they get Cavs -- if I let them get that far -- and possibly not even then.

*To unlock the Pentagon-build only requires 4 Armies: whether they're loaded or not is irrelevant. So if I get an MGL before I've reached my Army-cap, and don't need any expensive improvements or SWonders rush-built, I convert him to an Army immediately, even if I've got nothing that I want to load into it yet (I usually save my Ancient e*Units for upgrades, since injured Archer-, Horse- and even Sword-Armies aren't always safe once the AICivs start fielding A=4 units). Once the Pentagon is unlocked, it could be rushed by my 5th MGL -- or I could use it as a second Wonder-prebuild.

Top Bottom