Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

If there's a broken trade route (ocean tiles) up until magnetism I would surely abandon the game... But that's just me.

I wouldnt play that small island from the beginning, its just too much of a hassle... Each time i have tryed something like that i have gained only headache. But thats also just me;)

I'm trying to do some corruption calculations, and reading the corruption doc I see that one of the variables for #city corruption is:

"L is the percentage of optimal cities for the current difficulty level, as given in the editor"

I'm on a Mac, I have no editor. What are the default values for the this for Monarch and Emperor? I poked around some, but I couldn't find it.

Also, it looks to me like the maximum corruption due to distance in a city with a courthouse is 12.75% - because the effective distance is capped at MaxD/4. Is that right?

I do not see any change for corruption per level. It is 100% in the editor, regardless of the level, unless you alter it. The percentage of optimal cities is 85 for Monarch and 80 for Emperor.

Things were going along pretty smoothly, I had Chichen Itza surrounded, and starvation hit all my cities at once, every turn. What happened?

Also, from a strategy point of view: I have Chichen Itza surrounded, I hit them once or twice with cannon and trebuchet, but when I send in units, my units are dropping like flies. The Maya's have asked for a peace treaty, but I'm not willing to give it to them, as I have a mutual protection package against them with the Persians, and I don't want to piss off the Persians who are at war with them, too. How do I tell just how many units they have? What's the best strategy to defeat them?

thanks.

As for the Privateer issue, when I read it again, I understood. thanks for the replies

If you're late enough in the game you can use espionage to know defenders. Also, if you're paying attention and counting, if you bombard enough and get lucky, you can count defenders as they get hurt.

I can't remember the order of casualties with bombardment, if the stronger units defend first and then s they get hurt weaker, uninjured units get hurt after as with ground assault. Can anyone corroberate/correct me?

played on till 670. Beelined for mapmaking got that and built galleys. Though I new where the "bridge" was and set sail and eventully made land. It's a long crossing supprised my galley made it. Have some Iron and am maybe 20 turns out from republic have maybe 6 towns now

Have met
Egypt Who traded me up four techs for writing and map making.
Vickings and Carthage wanted philosphy for same

so I am thinking I need to get a settler over to the mainland quick smart? any other plans I should be putting in place in this type of situation?

If you can't find a safe passage (no risk of sinking) to another continent, I'd probably dump this one. You're going to lose a lot of galleys and troops trying to send things over which is costly, time consuming, and annoying.

Nonetheless, I'd want to grab some free land on the other continent if you can. Much easier to create a beachhead than have to capture one later.

. . . if you're paying attention and counting, if you bombard enough and get lucky, you can count defenders as they get hurt.

I can't remember the order of casualties with bombardment, if the stronger units defend first and then s they get hurt weaker, uninjured units get hurt after as with ground assault. Can anyone corroberate/correct me?

Every new bombardment attack hits a new defender, with the strongest defenders being hit first. If you are using aircraft or naval bombardment, you may also kill citizens and destroy improvements. You are correct that if you have enough attacks, you can determine the number of defenders, but my experience is that takes a lot of attacks to do. You can do the same thing with enough ground attackers, but you have to have a big margin of superiority in numbers to do it.

could someone point me in the direction of a thead about "cultural flips" or if there isn't one an explaination here about causes and affectors
thanks

could someone point me in the direction of a thead about "cultural flips" or if there isn't one an explaination here about causes and affectors
thanks
Here is some info.

Tool called MapStat provides you with flip %'s.

Having small city with no culture surrounded by several of your cities with big culture(than the original city), makes city more likely to flip.

Further away city is from capital=more chance for city to flip.

Having foreign citizens = more chance for city to flip to one of the mother nations. Resisters also increase that chance.

I'm sure some of those veteran civ3 players can explain/know more than I do.

Link for the maths behind the flip probabilities.

Every new bombardment attack hits a new defender, with the strongest defenders being hit first. If you are using aircraft or naval bombardment, you may also kill citizens and destroy improvements. You are correct that if you have enough attacks, you can determine the number of defenders, but my experience is that takes a lot of attacks to do. You can do the same thing with enough ground attackers, but you have to have a big margin of superiority in numbers to do it.

It all depends on the technical level of your bombard units vs. defenders. Catapults have a hard time against pikes, trebs against muskets, cannon against rifles, etc. ad inf. I usually assume a hit rate of 25-30%, unless I've got a clear tech superiority over the defender. In these case, though, I am more interested in learning what I'm going to be up against than actually redlining the defenders. In any determined campaign, I generally have several schwerpunkts that I can combine as needed to reduce a stubborn citadel. And if I'm up against rifles, for example, & redline them all, I assume there is likely to be a longbow I haven't seen. More bombardment then is a gamble between uncovering a hidden weakie & blasting a barracks or something else I may want--usually I don't bother to gamble, as, if I can take a rifle, a fullstrength weakie won't be much bother.

kk

Is there an easier way to removing multiple overlays (ex:railroads,craters,ruins) without having to go through the pain of manually deleting each one in Civ3QEdit?

Same thing with units, is there an easier way to remove multiple units without going through the task of deleting each one manually?

Welcome to CFC, JordanN. If you're talking about removing them from the game and playing without them, that sounds like a question for the Creation and Customization forum. On the other hand, if you're talking about getting them off the map so that you can see things better during a game, try Ctrl+Shift+M (I think), which cleans the map.

Welcome to CFC, JordanN.
Thank you. :)

If you're talking about removing them from the game and playing without them, that sounds like a question for the Creation and Customization forum. On the other hand, if you're talking about getting them off the map so that you can see things better during a game, try Ctrl+Shift+M (I think), which cleans the map.
Yeah, I guess I'll try that forum instead.

Basically I want to remove overlays, units etc en masse without having to manually right click them and delete them one by one. Sort of like how in the Starcraft map editor, there's a feature that allows you to wipe off certain units,buildings without having to clear the whole map.

I've never played Starcraft, so I don't know how its editor worked. I'm still not clear on what you're asking, though. If you're just wanting to uncover a map, without making changes to how the game plays, try hitting Ctrl-Shift-N to pull up the "clear map" preferences. Then you can select which items will be cleared when you hit Ctrl-Shift-M. I don't know of any way to delete one unit at a time off the map, though.

I've never played Starcraft, so I don't know how its editor worked. I'm still not clear on what you're asking, though. If you're just wanting to uncover a map, without making changes to how the game plays, try hitting Ctrl-Shift-N to pull up the "clear map" preferences. Then you can select which items will be cleared when you hit Ctrl-Shift-M. I don't know of any way to delete one unit at a time off the map, though.

Hmm, how it could I put in easier words.

Ok, take this illustration. Say for example you just finished a big map. You placed all your units, chose the locations for your cities and filled the rest up with overlays. However, you put in the wrong units and want to delete them.

Rather than going through the tedious task of right clicking and deleting them individually, you want to delete them in mass. At the same time though, you don't want to delete tiles,overlays etc because they're already ok. You just want to remove the units.

I'm asking if there's a specific feature that does that where all you have to do is select something say "Remove all Modern Armor" or "Remove all Spearmen". Or if there is a brush you can select that when you click an area on the map, it only removes the units and doesn't interfere with the rest of the map.

. . . . Ok, take this illustration. Say for example you just finished a big map. You placed all your units, chose the locations for your cities and filled the rest up with overlays. However, you put in the wrong units and want to delete them. . . .
Ok. That's an editor question, then. Head down to Creation and Customization. They will surely know much more about that than I. Good luck.

Yeah, the fact that noone answered your Q for this long tells me that you should take Aabraxans advice and check out the Creation and Custumization department.

If I build the SP HQ in a captured city, I presume that would make it impossible for it to flip. Correct? I've never used Communism before.

If I build the SP HQ in a captured city, I presume that would make it impossible for it to flip. Correct? I've never used Communism before.

Not sure about it, but why would you build it in a captured city? Build it in one of your core cities, as the position of the SPHQ doesn't matter at all, due to the way corruption is treated under Communism.

EDIT:Or is it the purpose to prevent the city from flipping??

Top Bottom