Civ Rev --> Civ IV Transitioning

Well, here's the best tip I have.

Make sure your science and economy is VERY high before researching Scientific Method. I lost 50 points.

Well, here's the best tip I have.

Make sure your science and economy is VERY high before researching Scientific Method. I lost 50 points.

:confused:

Wait, what? I never experienced any loss in points for researching any technology before. How does that work?

:confused:

Wait, what? I never experienced any loss in points for researching any technology before. How does that work?

It obsoletes your monasteries.

And the Great Library.

It gets rid of a lot of other scientific things.

And the Great Library.

It gets rid of a lot of other scientific things.

Is it possible to win a game without ever researching that? Because it and Astronomy both seem to be potential civilization killers despite the advantages they provide.

Is it possible to win a game without ever researching that? Because it and Astronomy both seem to be potential civilization killers despite the advantages they provide.

How does Astronomy kill your civilization? No Stonehenge or Collosus? That's not a very big deal at all. Plus it's a pretty major and helpful tech, opening up transcontinental travel and trade.

But yeah, Scientific Method sucks and is never fun to research, but it leads to really important techs (Communism, Physics, Biology) so there's not much you can do. You could certainly win a Cultural or AP Diplomatic victory without researching it, and Domination/Conquest if you can get it before needing anything past Infantry. But if you're reaching that part of the tech tree, you might as well bite the bullet. The free scientist from Physics can help alleviate it if you get there first.

Personally though I think it needs something to help ballance it out. Scientific Method is certainly not the kind of tech that should noticeably decrease your science! And the immediate benefits, revealing oil and preserving forests, aren't really all that great.

A counterballance in the science arena would be nice. Perhaps making it give all your universities +25% science, for a total of +50%, akin to banks. I don't care if you have to make later techs slightly more expensive to compensate, Scientific Method should help your science! Maybe you could move the free Great Scientist to it as well... though I think he fits well at Physics.

The A.I.s generally don't care if your human or another A.I. There are some to watch out for though. Montezuma will always attack somebody, and he doesn't care if they are A.I. or human, stronger or weaker, larger of smaller. He's a psychopath.

Shaka and the Khans are much more discriminatory, and as such, much more dangerous. They want to declare war, but unlike Monty, won't suicide themselves over and over. Once again, they don't care if they are A.I. or human, but they will pick and chose their fights, meaning they win more often.

Izzy is a fanatical zealot. Anyone who does not share her religion is a target, and the result of her wars is someone turned into a smoldering pile of ash, though it can be either of you. BTW, did I mention she doesn't care if your human or A.I.?

You will find the AI in CIV much, much better then in Civ Rev. The designer of the AI stated his goal was to make the AIs behave like role playing human players, that is they have defined personalities and play to win, but don't purely focus on min/maxed tactics to do it.

As for automating things, don't do it. That's quite possibly the worst advice I've ever seen on these forums.

As for difficulty level, I'd start at Warlord if you're competent at Civ Rev, if you play below that level, the game wol't be interesting, as you'll crush the AIs with your insane bonuses. If you're an expert at Civ Rev you should probably play at Noble, or even Prince. I see no gain, or enjoyment from utterly smashing low difficulty crippled AIs, but this is a matter of personal preference. Some people thouroughly enjoy playing settler. Just based on what you're asking, it sounds like you want a somewhat challenging game, where you will probably beat the AI.

The main thing to focus on in terms of changes from Civ Rev, is the more detailed economy. You need to understand the differences between all the terrain improvements. Mines, cottages, farms, windmills, waterwheels, and workshops are all useful in their own way. It takes time to figure out good city specialization, and how to use the terrain improvements. This is where you should focus.

How does Astronomy kill your civilization? No Stonehenge or Collosus? That's not a very big deal at all. Plus it's a pretty major and helpful tech, opening up transcontinental travel and trade.

Well, when you play almost entirely on Pangaea maps, it loses much of its usefulness. :rolleyes: I guess the benefits outweigh the losses on other maps, though.

Well, when you play almost entirely on Pangaea maps, it loses much of its usefulness. :rolleyes: I guess the benefits outweigh the losses on other maps, though.

You still get observatories, 25% science is a pretty big plus. Cheaper than universities and another scientist slot. Also on pangaea maps the collosus loses some of its power as you'll have less coastal cities, so there's a bit of a ballance there.

Hey, beats Stonehenge dying at Calendar, that's for sure.

Top Bottom