Whats the purpose of the Guided Missile?

Your aircraft are heavily damaged and are shredded by the SAM infantry for very little effect. Your modern armours are then destroyed by CGIII anti-tanks. The city survives with one damaged chariot left. You rage quit.

Ok, you have uranium but you captured it in the conquest and you have used the few nukes you have had time to build.
Sams only have a 50% interception chance, half of my airplanes should have remained untouched!

If the city is only defended by 1 chariot, I would come myself to kill it with bare hands ^^

No seriously, I don't see the need for rhe guided missile. Even accepting you're right, why do they implement a unit that is only gonna be used a handful of times, when all other units make sense! Even with the nieche, they are pure utter crap! You had to theoretically construct a scenario, how likely is it, that this will ever occur in my games? Even with having the worst map I could think of, I'd have 100's of units in the end, because the decisive wars are in the beginning. If I really were so short before reaching Dom, that means I have many cities. If so, I should have all thinhs necessary to kill of a pathetic 10% total land AI.

Sams only have a 50% interception chance, half of my airplanes should have remained untouched!

If the city is only defended by 1 chariot, I would come myself to kill it with bare hands ^^

No seriously, I don't see the need for rhe guided missile. Even accepting you're right, why do they implement a unit that is only gonna be used a handful of times, when all other units make sense! Even with the nieche, they are pure utter crap! You had to theoretically construct a scenario, how likely is it, that this will ever occur in my games? Even with having the worst map I could think of, I'd have 100's of units in the end, because the decisive wars are in the beginning. If I really were so short before reaching Dom, that means I have many cities. If so, I should have all thinhs necessary to kill of a pathetic 10% total land AI.

1 damaged chariot lol.

I think my scenario is possible, you probably wouldn't find yourself in such a situation and I probably wouldn't either but this game wasn't made just for you or me. The idea is not that they are essential to taking the final 1% land only that they can sometimes enable it to be done quicker.

I have used guided missiles, built in land cities, in the long range naval battle scenario I described. They were fun but I also think it was a valid use. No other unit can be moved to the front that quickly other than aircraft which are admittedly a better unit in most cases but have limitations (need for carrier, more expensive, cannot completely kill)

I'm not so sure all the other units make sense either, eg ironclad

Guided missile is slightly better than the space elevator. As in, it's an expressly terrible unit. If you want to use missiles, use tactical nukes. It's not hard hammer-for-hammer to break interceptions or bypass them.

You CAN use anything. I've won high level games with infantry/arty against modern armor and mechinf. That doesn't mean that's optimal (though CR III arty do hurt like crazy).

Without nukes guided missiles are much better for 1st strike :) I just never ever build or use nukes... only reason I try to get UN to ban nukes from game :D

I think I will steer the argument on guided missiles in a new direction. All of you for and against the guided missile do so with the assumption that it is for the human player. I have no evidence but suspect the GM is for the AI's. It does not happen often,but when I have a game go long enough to the modern era the AI's love using the GM. I think the game creators put in the GM to help the Ai and its inability to keep up with a thinking human player. GM's are relatively cheap, and can be used to harass the human player. Consistently I see the Ai use GM's well. The Ai is to stupid to effectively use siege, mounted, naval, and air units. But does seem some what competent in the use of the GM. We all know the Ai doesn't know how to fight wars, so the GM allows the Ai to be a nuisance to the player. About the only thing it can do.

Consistently I see the Ai use GM's well.

I honestly can't remember the AI ever using GMs against me, and I've played hundreds of games into the modern era. I generally don't build them, but if I'm going for Space I'll build a few to help deter attacking stacks. Certainly a below average unit, but better than useless.

They've used them against me. They kept taking out some improvements and it was a nag to keep improving it. Especially with paratroopers popping up sometimes, meaning it wasn't so safe to improve tiles in my own territory, and so close to the front line. Lost several workers from misjudgements. It's mostly just a nuisance though, and not a big problem. They can take out iron or horses or food, but you can quickly re-connect it.

I built guided missiles regular to do enough damage to a huge enemy invading land or navy stack.
When going for a space victory the focus is more on production towards space parts instead of troops.
The enemy stack in the spoiler was gone the next turn thanks to enough guided missiles.

Spoiler :

Yeah, I know. That screenshot wasn't a good example.
But sometimes an enemy navy has enough air power and bombers will be an easy target.
Btw, the Byzantine navy (Justinian doesn't plot at pleased) was heading towards the Romans.
At the end of that war Justinian had over 80 cities and won diplomatic.
I lost the game in the beginning because of a costly war against Alexander.

Spoiler :

You lost that game for various pther reasons too, i. e. still having trees after 1000+ turns. Your research is also very low for your number of cities, when I have 30+ cities, I conduct something like 10-20k BPT, so that stack would have never occured, because I had won the game in less than half the time.

When I get Guided Missiles, I have something like 10T 'til I get the last tech, so for me, it' the most useless unit of all, it wouldn't help me 1 bit in my games.

I cannot resist ;)
Old TmiT post, very old (2009)..was looking around for reasons why peoples use them lol.

I used them recently against a late game space launch on immortal. The capitol was inland, and these suckers allowed me to bombard the capitol instantly, and cause some collateral, ignoring everything that would normally intercept and allowing me to take/raze next turn.

Late game, they come 1/turn on most speeds, and can really facilitate a fast strike with or without air superiority. I've had a number of successful mech infantry/missile raids on the AI now.

I do wish their range was 1-2 tiles better.

That's an average of 500 beakers per city for an empire with 30 cities.
I guess you meant a whole lot of more cities.
No, I ment this like I wrote it. I can prove by posting screenshots once I got my PC back (monday is the latest possible date, if I'm lucky I'll get it on saturday) .
I can also post screens of time games, where I conduct 30k BPT at 0% and research future tech 600+.

If you can't wait, search for my Space Race with Ragnar (was a Huge map but no Marathon iirc) or look at the saves of my Large Marathon time victory in HoF.

I cannot resist ;)
Old TmiT post, very old (2009)..was looking around for reasons why peoples use them lol.
I wonder if TMIT didn't know about Nukes. Iirc., he was also the autor from an article named “guided missiles, 60 hammers of suck“ .

@Seraiel
I've found the Ragnar Deity game.
Very impressive.
Nidaros generating 872 :science:. Not bad. A total of 11555 :science: from 38 cities.
An average of 14 buildings/city, almost no unimproved tiles,tech tree finished and all accomplished at turn 329 at Epic speed.
But also very low unit production (a very small army) unless drafting doesn't count in the statistics.

Drafting doesn't count. I built very few units though and AIs couldn't dow me because of good relations. Going for corps was probably an error, I believe SP would have been stronger earlier.

You lost that game for various pther reasons too, i. e. still having trees after 1000+ turns. Your research is also very low for your number of cities, when I have 30+ cities, I conduct something like 10-20k BPT, so that stack would have never occured, because I had won the game in less than half the time.

When I get Guided Missiles, I have something like 10T 'til I get the last tech, so for me, it' the most useless unit of all, it wouldn't help me 1 bit in my games.

So what you are saying is that you only play games that deep into the tech tree when you are crushing and therefore Guided Missiles have no purpose for you. This is different to saying the Guided Missile has no purpose as other people might want to play out more/all starts to conclusion and therefore have a purpose for Guided Missiles.

So what you are saying is that you only play games that deep into the tech tree when you are crushing and therefore Guided Missiles have no purpose for you. This is different to saying the Guided Missile has no purpose as other people might want to play out more/all starts to conclusion and therefore have a purpose for Guided Missiles.
You can give me any start you want, and I'll still be so fast at that time, that I get the last techs very few turns later. It could be a boreal map, and I'd still have conquered it completely before guided Missiles would help. That has nothing to do with not playing every start because I play for HoF. I simply know how to get a lot of BPT and how to kill AIs.

Top Bottom