Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Howdy
I've started an Ashoka Civ (and i'm noob of course), I'm on my 2nd turn (3960 BC) and wondered if Stonehenge is worth working towards?
The positives are that it generates +1 culture.

I can see that if I was a charismatic leader it would be extra beneficial as it would provide +1 :) (to the city i build it in i presume) but not sure if it's worth pursuing for Ashoka. It would mean studying Masonry straight away to see if there's any Stone around to get the double speed, and then going for it. What do the experienced players here think?

I've attached my save to this post.
Any ideas welcome.

Attachments

• Ashoka BC-3960.CivBeyondSwordSave
    75.1 KB · Views: 56
Hi there!

SH is OK as an early wonder, especially as a Charismatic (CHA) leader or as Sitting Bull as you mention (it's +1 happy in EVERY city btw, not just the one you build it in as CHA).

You also don't NEED Masonry and Stone to build it, that just speeds up the build time of the Wonder.

A lot will depend on what difficulty setting you are playing on, SH is considered largely worthless on higher difficulties as it adds Great Prophet points to your Great Person generation, and you tend to want to be looking towards generating a Great Scientist sooner than a Prophet.

That said SH certainly has its place as an OK wonder in some circumstances. I'd be more tempted to tell you to focus on growth and expansion of your Empire rather than being held back by building mediocre wonders in the early game though.

Hi there!
I'd be more tempted to tell you to focus on growth and expansion of your Empire rather than being held back by building mediocre wonders in the early game though.

Very good point sir. Thanks for taking the time to post this response. I will not focus on Stonehenge now, i will focus on growth/expansion, and see what resources arise, which will influence my later decisions.

Cheers

You mention that you are in turn one. The best way to start 99% of games is to start building a worker, and then research technologies that will enable you to improve the food in your capital. Stonehenge is immaterial here. What you need is a worker, and techs such as agriculture or animal husbandry, depending on what food and techs you have available from the start. Hover over the plot of a food resource to see what techs you need, if you are unsure. If it says for instance "Requires farm" then you have agriculture but need to build a farm there.

The usual way to start a game is to build a worker first. Then build warriors until the city hits size three. Then build a settler and settle a good second city fairly close to your capital. Let the starting worker improve the food.

Building Stonehenge from the very start would set you back an awful lot, and is always a bad idea.

does anyone know how to turn of global warming?

There was / is (?) a Global Warming mod. It's part of the HoF-mod, that's why I know this. It doesn't turn of Global Warming completely, but it happens only very seldom, like 5* in a 2050 AD time-game.

There was / is (?) a Global Warming mod. It's part of the HoF-mod, that's why I know this. It doesn't turn of Global Warming completely, but it happens only very seldom, like 5* in a 2050 AD time-game.

I was hoping it would be a fairly easy fix. I know on one of Absolute Zero's youtube games he mentions having turned off global warming.

I was hoping it would be a fairly easy fix. I know on one of Absolute Zero's youtube games he mentions having turned off global warming.
Umm...
It's quite easy to for instance remove global warming from the game. The file GlobalDefines.xml which exists for every version of the game (vanilla, Warlords and BTS) holds many parameters that effect the game. One of them is:

Code:
<Define>
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
Changing the 20 to 0 removes global warming from the game.

The file is located in:
...\Civilization 4\Assets\XML
...\Civilization 4\Warlords\Assets\XML
...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML

depending on the version of the game that you wish to change. It's preferable to create a tiny mod out of it than changing the original file(s). If you do change the original files, then make a backup of the file first so that you can revert back to the original files.
If you have a text editor, it should take you less than five mins to do. (There is no in-game option to turn off global warming.)

I've been using the CivIV with BTS purchased from Steam.
And it seems to be a heavily bugged POS with spyware/ads to boot.
Unit groups virtually never work, attempt to return to the main menu after playing for a while crashes,.....

All recommendations and comments welcome.

As a follow up to this story - I have purchased CivIV complete edition on ebay.
Comes on one DVD which installs everything automatically.
The shortcuts for everything are in the Games in the start menu (Win7), not on the desktop; but it's all installed automatically if you picked up the full version.

And man, what a relief.

Immediately I picked up the patch 3.19 for BtS (the only one I installed) as described here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=423900
and the BAT mod 4.1
http://civ4bug.sourceforge.net/BATMod.html
(which, oddly, pops up as 4.0 in-game for some reason. It shows BAT Mod 4.1 in the Main Menu, but when I launch the game and see my first settler the pop up says 4.0).

It works so much better than the Steam version I've been using that I don't think I'll ever be buying anything on Steam again.

Thanks for the help to everyone once more!

Good to hear you got everything working now :)

Steam can be a wormpit, so it's usually best to stay clear :D

I was wondering is it possible to see what kind of automatic orders unit have?Like patrol, attack or somehing else.

Another question is how to run in middle of the turn automated units?

Press ctrl and a to get any units already with orders to move.

Hey have a questions regarding combat. I have a stack against an enemy stack. I have specific units in my stack that i want to combat with specific units from the enemy's stack (due to certain promotions etc). How do I single out specific units from the enemy's stack? It seems each time i click on the unit I want to fight in my stack, the enemy's appeared unit changes to the one I don't want to fight.

Hey have a questions regarding combat. I have a stack against an enemy stack. I have specific units in my stack that i want to combat with specific units from the enemy's stack (due to certain promotions etc). How do I single out specific units from the enemy's stack? It seems each time i click on the unit I want to fight in my stack, the enemy's appeared unit changes to the one I don't want to fight.

You don't, in general. The defending unit is the one that is best against the attacking unit.

Specific units can alter this behavior, such as the Khmer's UU. Their Ballista Elephant specifically targets mounted units in preference to any others. You can't pick which mounted unit it will attack, but if there is a horse archer and a spearman on the target plot then it will always attack the horse archer. If there are two horse archers then the defender will be the one with the highest chance of winning (or possibly of surviving, I don't remember if it takes withdrawal chances into account).

Mods can also alter this behavior. For example, there is a mod component called "lead from behind" which attempts to protect the defender's more valuable units. It does things like sacrificing low level units to protect experienced units: If the best defender has a low chance of winning, it may pick some low level unit to defend instead so that it is sacrificed to protect the better unit, or maybe it gets lucky and wins.

That's pretty much it. There is no way to pick which specific unit the defender uses out of a stack of units.

It's called "top-defender-mechanic" . The defender always gets chosen the possible unit, because he is the one that reacts. It's a mechanic to make defenders stronger, and you cannot do anything against it. This mechanic is also the reason why i. e. certain units are regarded as "strong" while others are regarded as "weak" . Cuirrassiers i. e. are strong, because even against the top-defender of their time (Pikeman) they have great chances. Swords are weak, because they have only little chances against Axes.
This doesn't mean though, that attacking later is always better. Rushing someone with Axes, Swords or HAs is a lot more complicated than with Rifles or Cuirrs, but getting additional cities thousands of years earlier is definitely worth some of the cost.

Specific units can alter this behavior, such as the Khmer's UU. Their Ballista Elephant specifically targets mounted units in preference to any others. You can't pick which mounted unit it will attack, but if there is a horse archer and a spearman on the target plot then it will always attack the horse archer. If there are two horse archers then the defender will be the one with the highest chance of winning (or possibly of surviving, I don't remember if it takes withdrawal chances into account).

This only applies when attacking outside of cities btw. If you attack a city with a Ballista Elephant, I think their unique behaviour is overlooked, and they will still face the top defender. In the open field they are more dangerous, and look out for it taking out your super medic, if that is your only horse in the stack.

Hi Guys,

What do the happy faces and red faces on the domestic advisor screen represent? As each city on my domestic advisor screen has its own number of happy faces and own number of red faces (far right), however they do not correspond to the actual city's happy/sad faces when i look at each city's city screen.

Note, there are no red faces on the domestic advisor screen. The column between trade route income (looks like the recycling logo) and the Great Person Pt. (GPP) column (black profile on yellow background) is a red coin (expense) for total city maintenance cost (rounded down).

Top Bottom