Work in progess and Previews

Just wondering, if I gave each civ one (maybe two) UU, what would they be?
Preferably something from the 2nd half of the 1800s.
took a minute to find that India was in the list.

You've got quite choice even before you get to specific units: Princely states, European cadre & mercenaries, private armies, imperial armies, colonial auxiliaries, martial castes, Sikhs, irregulars, tribals ... Here's a short list:
Some of the linked posts have pictures from the early 1800s because that is what was requested at the time, but later images are available by request.

MIDDLE EAST/AFRICA

5. India:
Elephant Worker
Mysore Rocket

great leader: Begum Hazrat Majal, Nana Sahib, Bakht Khan, Rani Lakshmibai, Tantya Tope
Still wish you would reconsider this one. Bahadur’s power did not extend beyond the gate of his palace; cf. The Last Mughal by William Dalrymple.

6. Persia:
Zembouraki Camel Artillery

great leader: Nasser al din Shah

7. Ottoman Empire:
Ski Trooper

great leader: Omar Pasha, Iskender Pasha, Nadir Pasha

8. Egypt:
Khedive Guard

great leader: ?

9. Morocco:
Riff Warrior
Makhzen Soldier
Berber Militiaman

great leader: ?

10. Ethiopia:
Oromo Cavalry
Mountain Artillery

Great Leader: Engida, Makkonen, Yohannes, Wollo

11. Boer Republics:

Boer Kommando
Le Creusot Seige Gun
Boer Guerilla

Great Leader: Cronje, De Wet

12. Madagascar:
Queen’s Musketeer

Great Leader: ?

5. India:
Elephant Worker
Mysore Rocket
6. Persia:
Zembouraki Camel Artillery
Great minds think alike. The elephant worker is badly needed & often requested. Unfortunately workers don't make good UUs - hard to trigger a golden era with a non-combatant.

Great minds think alike. The elephant worker is badly needed & often requested. Unfortunately workers don't make good UUs - hard to trigger a golden era with a non-combatant.

You create a hybrid. The editor allows you to assign attack and defense values to workers if you wish. Or you can think of it as a military unit with engineer/worker functions. The bundled Rise of Rome scenario does this with Legionary I's who can build roads and forts.

You create a hybrid. The editor allows you to assign attack and defense values to workers if you wish. Or you can think of it as a military unit with engineer/worker functions. The bundled Rise of Rome scenario does this with Legionary I's who can build roads and forts.

Unfortunately, the training of war and work elephants would, I believe, have been very different. Also, AFAIK, work elephants are mostly female (not that it makes much difference for a unit) but I'm curious -- were war elephants male?

Best,

Oz

P.S. I too still would like a worker elephant ...

-O.

Generally speaking, war elephants tended to be male; pack elephants female, logging elephants male. However, there is enough variance between different historical eras, armies and cultures that you can probably choose either sex and not be incorrect. In any case, the large size of the elephant and it's fearsome appearance suggests that a modest attack and defense factor for female elephants would not be out of line. You can be trampled by a female elephant just as easily as a male.

Also, the worker elephant doesn't have to be UU. A plain old ordinary worker elephant unit would certainly have many advantages over a human worker.

Also, the worker elephant doesn't have to be UU. A plain old ordinary worker elephant unit would certainly have many advantages over a human worker.

I think that's precisely the reason for the desire for just such a unit - not merely a different shaped worker, but one that can be given appropriately different stats.

I think that's precisely the reason for the desire for just such a unit - not merely a different shaped worker, but one that can be given appropriately different stats.
Can see it as an upgrade from standard human worker. And think of the animations - like tree-pulling for clearing & log-rolling for roads.

Have you released any leaderheads since 2009? I haven't really been keeping track of this thread.

Top Bottom