Religion Change in Civ 4!!!!!!!!!

ATopic22

Clan SPADE Captain
I'm new to Civ 4 and I was just wondering if there was a way to make all cities have the same and exact religion, just one religion. I noticed when I was playing that whenever you would get a new religion, you would be forced to keep it along with your old ones and is there anyway to kill the resisters or something so there is only one religion in your entire nation.Thanks.:cool:

Historically a group of people sponsored by the ruling church. ex. Spanish Inquisition. They tend to kill everyone who doesn't believe in the religion or convert. In Total Realism you make them then use them to kill off other religions.

There's little point to trying to get rid of other religions though, outside of the possible zomg-ma-enemy-can-teh-spiez-on-me!!111 factor, it only has benefits, and pretty big ones in the later game.

Civ 4 promoted diversity, if you're really anit-religion you can run Theocracy, that way they'll be no non-state religion spread, I always thought it'd be interesting to run a Atheist state, kepping the civic theocracy on permanently.. :D.

Civ 4 promoted diversity, if you're really anit-religion you can run Theocracy, that way they'll be no non-state religion spread, I always thought it'd be interesting to run a Atheist state, kepping the civic theocracy on permanently.. :D.
Interesting...
Never knew you could do THAT.:) I would support an Inquistor unit due to its historical importance (what would've happened to Spain and Columbus if the Inquisition wasn't going on?), but not morally due to their evil methods of rooting out heretics.:mad:

Can you even make an inquisitor? Anyway's I'm not trying to make an aetheist state. I just want to make something more historically accurate such as the Crusades giving me a reason to pound my enemy because of different beliefs.

I've suffered enough from inquisitor in MTW2

They should definitely add the inquisitor unit, since it's historically correct. The Spanish inquisition was set up by King Ferdinand of Aragon and Queen Isabella of Castile. They eliminated Muslims and Jews making Spain a 100% Christian nation by force. Then they said Islam has spread by the sword :p

As the game currently stands though, to have a reason to make an inquistor you would have to bring in a reason to not want religion. Which I am all for. It doesn't make sense to be promoting Buddhism AND Christianity in your empire for instance or any combo like that. As Cato the Elder said, there is nothing but positives about having religions in your cities.
Personally, I would rather see multiple religions promote inner city problems instead of even more happiness, culture, etc. ONly under the civic of free religion should it operate as it does now.

ONly under the civic of free religion should it operate as it does now.

I tend to agree, expet maybe add pacism to that list? I don't see pacists being to angry :p

It could have varying degrees, too. Like Theocracy could be a breeding ground of hate >.<

It would be interesting for diplomatic relations, too. Geting -1 "You are purging our brothers and sisters!" and enemy cities with only your state religion could have no or reduced turns of revolt.

Just imagine purging Izzy's religion...

They should definitely add the inquisitor unit, since it's historically correct. The Spanish inquisition was set up by King Ferdinand of Aragon and Queen Isabella of Castile. They eliminated Muslims and Jews making Spain a 100% Christian nation by force. Then they said Islam has spread by the sword :p

Islam did spread by sword, and in more areas. They were spreading Catholicism, which is different than mainstream Christianity, and their methods were blasphemous.

In the Middle East and Africa, most people who wouldn't convert were slaughtered, and the founding of the religion resulted in the creation of an empire. I hope you're not going to tell me it didn't spread by sword. Even today, people in the middle east try spreading it by modern "swords".

I'm new to Civ 4 and I was just wondering if there was a way to make all cities have the same and exact religion, just one religion. I noticed when I was playing that whenever you would get a new religion, you would be forced to keep it along with your old ones and is there anyway to kill the resisters or something so there is only one religion in your entire nation.Thanks.:cool:

As an aside, why would you want to purge a religion in regular Civ 4? The only reason I could think of would be AP related. I also wouldn't want to purge any religion that might become the AP religion (don't like being the victim of dogpiles).

Islam did spread by sword, and in more areas. They were spreading Catholicism, which is different than mainstream Christianity, and their methods were blasphemous.

In the Middle East and Africa, most people who wouldn't convert were slaughtered, and the founding of the religion resulted in the creation of an empire. I hope you're not going to tell me it didn't spread by sword. Even today, people in the middle east try spreading it by modern "swords".

At that time Catholicism was definitely the "mainstream" option, and the catholic church still has more members than any other, so by what what criteria exactly do you deem it "not mainstream"?

I don't think anyone is denying Islam was "spread by the sword", the point is that most religions have been at one point or another so there is no reason to single out Islam as somehow worse.

It would be interesting in Civ IV if religion carried some negative effects too. Maybe only if you had more than one or maybe in slowing scientific progress in areas considered "blasphemous", but I guess they were a little cautious about introducing such things that may offend people :crazyeye:

At that time Catholicism was definitely the "mainstream" option, and the catholic church still has more members than any other, so what by what criteria exactly do you deem it "not mainstream"?

I don't think anyone is denying Islam was "spread by the sword", the point is that most religions have been at one point or another so there is no reason to single out Islam as somehow worse.

Not to put too fine a point to it, the history of islam and Christianity and the violence of their respective practitioners has one massive difference: islam is doing it NOW, and Christianity isn't.

That automatically makes islam psychologically worse than any of the other religions because we live in the now, not the then.

However, is this really the place to discuss religion? I have a funny feeling that the mods will be coming down on us like a ton of bricks soon, if they haven't ninja'd me already...

Not to put too fine a point to it, the history of islam and Christianity and the violence of their respective practitioners has one massive difference: islam is doing it NOW, and Christianity isn't.

And at certain points in history islam was the more tolerant of the two, but I guess you made a fair point. But just as Hinnawi said about catholicism there are a lot of muslims who deem those who use violence as blasphemous and "not mainstream" so it seems unfair to simply point to islam as the "violent" religion.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not terribly fond of any religions no matter their history or their use of violence, I just think there should be a more nuanced view of such things, rather than taking the easy route and making statements about millions of people based on their religion/cultural background.

And at certain points in history islam was the more tolerant of the two, but I guess you made a fair point. But just as Hinnawi said about catholicism there are a lot of muslims who deem those who use violence as blasphemous and "not mainstream" so it seems unfair to simply point to islam as the "violent" religion.

I find the bolded part debatable if not erroneous in the extreme, and I am originally from a muslim country.

I could also quote you the parts of the quran that shows the use of violence and LIES (this is the important bit) is in accordance with the laws of islam, as well as dissertations from honoured islamic scholars of the past regarding the same.

But I have said before, this is not the forum for it. If this were a politics forum, I'd gladly give you a sound thrashing on the... "nuances" of islam, especially that of the concept of taqqiya. However, since you appear to be in Sweden, allow me to say one word that you may understand, just one word: Malmo

You seem to have ignored my main point. I'm not saying that Islam is great or non-violent, I just think it's not so much worse than any other religion that it deserves to be singled out as more violent. As I said, I wouldn't be saddened at all if people stopped believing in such things altogether.

I also didn't say that the religion itself is peaceful, but that a lot of those identified as muslims claim to be against violence, just as a lot of people who identify as christians claim to be even though their holy text often says otherwise.

You seem to have ignored my main point. I'm not saying that Islam is great or non-violent, I just think it's not so much worse than any other religion that it deserves to be singled out as more violent. As I said, I wouldn't be saddened at all if people stopped believing in such things altogether.

I also didn't say that the religion itself is peaceful, but that a lot of those identified as muslims claim to be against violence, just as a lot of people who identify as christians claim to be even though their holy text often says otherwise.

You missed the point where I mentioned lies, my friend.

Top Bottom