Simple Python Things

That time was typing some codes for dacubz, BGT doesn't trigger for him as well. Try EGT and see?

:)
Good to know that somebody else will take a look at it. Because I'd really like to know why this doesn't work :ack:. And I have not yet had the time to look at it further :/.

I'm open for more ideas, but not right now at the moment.
I have a job interview on Monday in the Netherlands, and I have not yet fully done everything for the trip (e.g. printing out the train ticket, the city plan, configuring my newly arrived netbook, etc.), have not prepared fully otherwise (need to read more, need to adjust me presentation), and I might only be back somewhen in the moring of Tuesday. Additionally the Friday is also full, with some hours for a test for another job and an attached Skype interview.
Since I hope to get a positive answer on Monday, I'm not sure how much free time I'll have the next week, or after :dunno:.

If I have (which I hope not :ack: ...er...:)), I'll let you know, then I'll take some requests :).

I've updated the celebrity promotion, due to 2 oversights from my sight :blush:. Thanks to platyping for mentioning them :).

Forgot to look into the BUGifying for Nimek, despite that being high on my to-do list :ack:.

And because I'm posting right now: I had some thoughts, but not sure if I'll try to code that, but still would like to hear some opinions:
People like to play world maps with accurate city naming, like in RFC.
This was ported to the normal game, but it obviously works only with the RFC worldmap.
So we have at least one big grid with city names.
I thought this could maybe be adjusted for other maps. You could down- or upscale that grid, to fit it to other world maps.
But since the other maps might have another projection, more or less water to the west or east, or might in whatever way positioned in another way, this might not work, leaving all the names shifted.
My next thought was then to add some markers to the map, which could be used to calculate the right shift for all the positions. e.g. mark some point in Alaska, Southern America, Australia and Japan, and you could shift and squeeze the map accordingly.
But then again, this is tedious, you'd have to do the marking for every map, and that might be not fun.
So I thought it could be possible to automatically detect some features on the maps, and calculate the shift and distortion based on that.
e.g. you could try to find Great Britain, Ireland, and the distance to America and Norway, and could calculate everything based on that.
GB would have to be a smaller (number to be defined) CyArea instance, which is taller than wide, with max (to be defined) tiles, but not smaller than (to be defined) tiles, with another small CyArea instance to the left, which is rather equal in height and width, and to the east of the UK (undefined number of tiles) there'd have to be the biggest CyArea instance, whereas somewhere to the west (undefined number of tiles) there'd be America, the second largest CyArea instance. In case of a continuous north pole this might be the same.

...so...these are my thoughts at the moment.
Any comments? Could this work? Any general oversights?

Related, but not really relevant: If that worked, then it would provide an easy way for automatic accurate starting positions, because they could automatically be tied to the name of the capital from every civ.
Edit: Might also be possible that, under the assumption it worked, it could provide automatical naming for every map with Britain on it, if you define cutoff values, like e.g. no America, in case of Europe/Eurasia maps, or similar.

Sounds awesome. Don't know much about Python though, so we should wait for playtyping to critique it.

Do you think your spawn a civ would be converted well for the begining of the game? Basically I want to add city-states in a different way- the civs that can't build settlers are not playable with ai or player and at the beginig of the game if the player seletcted the city state option on than one city state is placed for every 2 civs. Think that could be converted easily?

Sounds awesome. Don't know much about Python though, so we should wait for playtyping to critique it.

But right, I definitely need some input from another programmer.

Do you think your spawn a civ would be converted well for the begining of the game? Basically I want to add city-states in a different way- the civs that can't build settlers are not playable with ai or player and at the beginig of the game if the player seletcted the city state option on than one city state is placed for every 2 civs. Think that could be converted easily?

Oh well, theoretically you could do it by setting the turn to spawn to 0, and the spawn chance to 100.
Other possible adjustments would just impact the game regarding the performance, but would not change the effect itself.
But the inital spawning might be hard for the game, might choke quite a bit on the total amount of needed calculations. Stutters already a bit when one civ is spawned, so no idea how...possibly 36 might impact that :eek:.

Edit: wait...I guess you want to know if it could be modified in a way that you define only the spawning conditions once, but that they are applied to all the city states, so that you don't have to define every city state. Correct?
If so: That would be the easiest task ^^.

But right, I definitely need some input from another programmer.

Oh well, theoretically you could do it by setting the turn to spawn to 0, and the spawn chance to 100.
Other possible adjustments would just impact the game regarding the performance, but would not change the effect itself.
But the inital spawning might be hard for the game, might choke quite a bit on the total amount of needed calculations. Stutters already a bit when one civ is spawned, so no idea how...possibly 36 might impact that :eek:.

Edit: wait...I guess you want to know if it could be modified in a way that you define only the spawning conditions once, but that they are applied to all the city states, so that you don't have to define every city state. Correct?
If so: That would be the easiest task ^^.
Not exactly sure what you mean there, basically the civs wont spawn in the begining and you will place the civs based on your already spawning conditions, honustly because it is a city state I dont think there should be any conditions beside land. Like I have no problem if its in the cold or next to a player (although I guess Id prefer it wasnt it isnt necesary) or on a 1 island plot since they will not be able to expand

:hmm: a somehow equal distribution would then be necessary, I guess. Which means I'd have to look over the code for collecting the plots...which would still be necessary, for your other requirements...or rather for the lack of ^^.

But yeah, that should be doable, but due to testing it will probably take some time.

And one of the things which I wanted to know from the previous post: Same conditions for all city states (regarding techs, money, units, etc.), or all different? Means would it be enough to have 1 definition in the XML file and spawn it X times, or do you want to define every entry?

Eh why me :D
Wrong person this time lol.
Can't comment much on things I never done before, so wouldn't know what problems may occur.

One thing I can think of is when the map size is big, there should be more names available, like for Great Britian because the map size is big, you can probably locate 10 or more cities.

But when the map size is smaller, the 10+ city names should be reduced to maybe 3 to 5, otherwise they may be overlapping each other?

Eh why me :D
Wrong person this time lol.
Can't comment much on things I never done before, so wouldn't know what problems may occur.

So no general thoughts regarding the programming?
I mean you can sure have an opinion about it, if you see a bigger problem there or not.

One thing I can think of is when the map size is big, there should be more names available, like for Great Britian because the map size is big, you can probably locate 10 or more cities.

But when the map size is smaller, the 10+ city names should be reduced to maybe 3 to 5, otherwise they may be overlapping each other?

I'm not sure how many names there are in the grid, but in case the map is bigger, I'd just "stretch" the names to the neighbouring tiles. Since you can't settle cities directly next to each other, I don't think this should be a problem. In case the map is smaller, I'd try to merge the names of neighbouring tiles and let a dice role which to take. Could lead to some strange results, like bigger cities being omitted for smaller ones, but that shouldn't be fatal for the whole thing.

Well, not my forte :D
Not sure how hard it will be to locate landmarks, but overall sounds like a tedious project to me :D
Definitely a brain cell killing one for it to work in all map sizes.
As for big cities omitted for smaller ones, maybe can give a weight or something, else if capital is omitted, will look weird.

Well, not my forte :D
Not sure how hard it will be to locate landmarks, but overall sounds like a tedious project to me :D
Definitely a brain cell killing one for it to work in all map sizes.

Don't see why this would be a problem. The scale would be computed, so no need for manual work.

As for big cities omitted for smaller ones, maybe can give a weight or something, else if capital is omitted, will look weird.

*that* would again be tedious, because you don't want to go through all city names for that one given map and assign a weight to them, do you?

Well, at least the capitals then :D
Maybe create a list of capitals and/or big cities.
Then when you are rolling a dice to see which name to pick for small maps, if the name is in the capital list, let it take priority without rolling.

:think: hmm...good idea...but since this would be way to manual, I'd just pick all the civ lists, and give the names priorities in regards to their position in the list.

...might really try this, after I've looked into the 2 other mentioned things on my list.

...so...these are my thoughts at the moment.
Any comments? Could this work? Any general oversights?

I'm planning to do this in my mod (some day :)...). I will use the "provinces" (Each plot has a defined province) I already have or markers for important cities and a modified version of Xynth's Dynamic City Naming, so a city name will have properties like general priority, water access and so on.
The Map Markup is not much work, since I use a tool based on an Java map editor (If you need something like that, I could adjust it for you), but the harder work is probably to find all the city names for bigger mapsizes.

I think the idea of calculate based on landmarks is not bad, but I don't know if your second Idea, to calculate these landmarks, too, is really doable.
If the markup is the problem, as I said, I could provide a tool for that.

The markup shouldn't be a problem, because there's a grid with names available, but thanks for the offer :).
OK, I misunderstood you. :)
But what tool are you talking about :)?
I added some markup functionality to the Civ4MapMaker, cause I had to assign a value to almost every plot, and it would have taken too long to do it manually.

Top Bottom