Ideas I wish was on civ 4

I remember in CIV II that later in the game you might get surprised by a BARB SOD of 40 modern units.

Then you probably played a different version (I think I never got the last add-on, mostly played "vanilla" Civ 2). The worst I can remember were a bunch (maybe 10) of those "fanatics", partisans or rifles.

Being old my memory is suspect but I do remember rifles and more than 10. But what they hey.

Absolute Zero mentioned this in one of his games that I watched, and it was a neat idea I thought.

Great Generals are great :)p), but they die too easily if you use them as Super Attackers. Good to take down top defenders, but sooner or later they will die, almost no matter their odds. He said it would therefore be good with the ability to resurrect them, and I tend to agree. Would be particularly useful if you have a GG with lots of promotions, more than attacking one GG would give. Then you could for instance use a new GG to resurrect the old but dead one.

Overall I'm very pleased with BtS though. The consistently most annoying thing about it is how the RNG can mess you up, and that can be extremely frustrating. But between that or guaranteed wins or losses, the randomness is probably a good thing.

I'm in the camp that randomness is essential to this type of game.
There has never been a war in history where the outcome of every battle was predetermined.

And I actually believe that without it the game would lose some of it's reputability.

I remember in CIV II that later in the game you might get surprised by a BARB SOD of 40 modern units.

Then you probably played a different version (I think I never got the last add-on, mostly played "vanilla" Civ 2). The worst I can remember were a bunch (maybe 10) of those "fanatics", partisans or rifles.
My memory is along rah's--every once in a while a huge group of partisans/cavalries/riflemen would pop up. Not every game, and almost always in an unsettled region (because of a large group of mountains/desert). I'd usually have tanks and bombers at the time, so they weren't much of a threat, just a pain to get rid of because they'd block movement routes and occupy the forts the AIs built.

o.k., maybe there were more than 10 but 40 seems a lot to me. Anyway, as you say they were usually one era behind so not such a big deal for tanks and bombers but annoying enough.

Whatever, barbarian raidings historically were more dangerous for large ancient, classical and early medieval empires than for a bunch of other barbs who just settled down a few centuries ago and are busy inventing the wheel ;)

I mean, the "Goths" or "Vandals" event could give you the option to bribe the bunch of barbs to enlist either as mercenaries on your side or to bother someone else... This would be at least as historically plausible than simply wreaking havoc on your infrastructure.

I'm not sure it's accurate to claim barbarians were a problem in the past historically. Turn on the news and you will see stories of modern day barbarians rampaging across the middle east. Barbarians exist today as they always have. Barbarians are not relegated to a specific era of history, but rather transcend all eras of human civilization.

I'm not sure it's accurate to claim barbarians were a problem in the past historically. Turn on the news and you will see stories of modern day barbarians rampaging across the middle east. Barbarians exist today as they always have. Barbarians are not relegated to a specific era of history, but rather transcend all eras of human american civilization.

Fixed that for you ^^ .

Fixed that for you ^^ .

Erm, is there anything deeper you want to bring into this discussion except for anti-American resentment?

civfanchambers is right, and modern day terrorists aren't exactly a threat to America exclusively. In fact most people they kill live in the same geographical region and often even share their faith, just look at IS and Boko Haram. Also there's Somali pirates.

Erm, is there anything deeper you want to bring into this discussion except for anti-American resentment?

No. I just like teasing the americans with calling them barbarians :D .

You guys must mean primitive america.. why not? being next to tribes that had unique units in the ancient eras such as the native america who had unique units in the more primitive eras.

Although it was somewhat annoying I liked that Civ II had population caps unless a city had certain buildings (aquaeduct and later sewer system). In Civ IV health is pure luck from the map and trades and most of the time not a problem at all.

Also, better balanced barbs would be fun. As it is now they can be a pain early but are usually totally irrelevant later on. There should be sea barbs later on, landing raiding parties and attacking vessels on the high seas not only plundering coastal improvements. It would also be fun to be able to bribe barbs to attack/plunder the AI opponents.

Privateers could capture smaller vessels and upgrade them to privateers

More terraforming: irrigating desert, tunneling mountains etc.

May I recommend AND 2 or VIP mod? I've had barb destroyers and occasional landing parties of rifles show up and ruin my carefully laid plans of world domination. Vinz's VIP mod is especially brutal with RB checked, as he's done a terrific job of making his barbs a really scary threat.

Although it was somewhat annoying I liked that Civ II had population caps unless a city had certain buildings (aquaeduct and later sewer system). In Civ IV health is pure luck from the map and trades and most of the time not a problem at all.

Also, better balanced barbs would be fun. As it is now they can be a pain early but are usually totally irrelevant later on. There should be sea barbs later on, landing raiding parties and attacking vessels on the high seas not only plundering coastal improvements. It would also be fun to be able to bribe barbs to attack/plunder the AI opponents.

Privateers could capture smaller vessels and upgrade them to privateers

More terraforming: irrigating desert, tunneling mountains etc.

I agree with this post.
For me though, the barbs early on are a real pain, they considerably slow down my attempts at quick expansion because I have to fight them off continuously and I don't want to play without barbarians, that would be too boring.

No. I just like teasing the americans with calling them barbarians :D .

I might be VERY offended but WHICH Americans are you talking about: North Americans, South Americans, Central Americans, or Middle Americans (even Caribbean Americans)? Could make a difference. Haw! :p

barbs can be pain (and I play with normal barbs and standard sized maps so they usually are not a huge problem). But they are usually only a problem in the very beginning when you are close to barb stage yourself. Not in, say 1000 BC (unless you get Goths/Vandals etc. event) when everybody has 5 cities or so and the barbs have a few cities themselves they hardly ever leave.

I'd prefer barbs to be "easier" early in the game but a continuous threat during the game.

Thanks for the pointers to mods. Problem is I am using a fairly old computer (cannot be more specific now because I am typing on a different one) and it can already get slow on modern era standard map BtS (BUG mode) so I am wary trying mods. Or would this not be a problem?

barbs can be pain (and I play with normal barbs and standard sized maps so they usually are not a huge problem). But they are usually only a problem in the very beginning when you are close to barb stage yourself. Not in, say 1000 BC (unless you get Goths/Vandals etc. event) when everybody has 5 cities or so and the barbs have a few cities themselves they hardly ever leave.

I'd prefer barbs to be "easier" early in the game but a continuous threat during the game.

Thanks for the pointers to mods. Problem is I am using a fairly old computer (cannot be more specific now because I am typing on a different one) and it can already get slow on modern era standard map BtS (BUG mode) so I am wary trying mods. Or would this not be a problem?

VIP mod is fairly light as far potential late game lag. Just keep to standard size maps ( I recommend epic/mara speeds though, for fun factor) and you shouldn't have any real issues. Vinz's done a great job on his mod, and there are quite a few surprises that will make things interesting for you.

As for ROM AND2, it's probably a lot more resource heavy than VIP, so that one might be a maybe for you depending on your system. You could always DL it and do a custom game to fit your specs just to see if you like it. If not, just delete it.

Civ 4 could've had an easy to understand way to victory for Deity. I've been restarting so many times and AI is ridiculously overpowered everytime. It feels stupid.

Don't play on Deity then, why bother?
Play difficulty level you're comfortable with, win it easy and often, then move up.
I haven't won a single game above Monarch and it doesn't bother me at all, I've got nothing to prove to the world, just want a fun and comfortable game each time I start a new one.

You do realize that the in game description for Deity is literally "MUHAHAHA good luck sucker!"? The whole point of it is that it's ridiculously hard. If you wanted an easier game you could pick literally every other difficulty setting but the hardest one. :crazyeye:

I took a break from it. If I ever get stuck there again I'll be here.

Top Bottom