windows 10

johnbee

Chieftain
Has anyone any idea whether civ2 will run OK using Windows 10? I'd like to try it, but if Civ2 will not run then I will keep off win 10 as long as possible.

That was asked about Windows 7, and I, myself, asked that about Windows 8. In both cases, a simple work-around was found. I'm hoping it'll be the case here, as well.

I won't know until July 31st!

I'm going to clone my hard drive, then do the upgrade from Civ 2 MPG on Windows 8.1 to see if it works.

This is both speculation and wishful thinking, but I am guessing the Microsolf has learned its lesson from windows 8 and has gone out of its was to avoid screwing up working legacy apps. (Fingers crossed)

hope someone has found out a work around or how or if civ ll would work on windows 8.1 or windows 10. I didn't get into civ 1 or lll but some of the new civ look pretty good. might check those out. maybe I can get an up one on my opponent for a change. although I'm not a serious gamer, I just mostly like to start the wars and watch the graphics move LOL he he he

It works on Windows 8.1. I can vouch for that. Though Carl Fitz's old scenario-aiding utilities (which were very useful) don't seem to (or at least I can't find out how to get them to). I don't yet know about Windows 10.

just realized but and don't know if it matters but my civ ll is test of time but thanks for the info maybe the test of time of civ ll would work as well

Decided to try the Windows 10 upgrade, and I can confirm that Test of Time (with TOTPP) works fine on it (played a couple of dozen turns). No compatibility mode needed, just take the ordinary installation instructions into account (e.g. don't forget to install codecs, use a 64-bit compatibility patch on 64-bit versions, etc.). This means that MGE will almost certainly work fine as well, since it's a slightly older version of the same engine, though I haven't tried it.

ok that is good to know except for I don't know what you mean by (with TOTPP) and don't forget to install codecs ? don't know what that means either and also I need a patch?? and what is MGE?
sorry I'm not into acronyms I like things spelled out. My mind works funny that way. meaning I would probably come up with the wrong info with the MGE and TOTPP like I come up with toot your top people pleasers.... :)

TOTPP is the Test of Time Patch Project. The associated thread is the most active in this forum.

MGE is the Multiplayer Gold Edition of Civ2.

Top Bottom