S3rgeus's Wheel of Time Mod

Also, lest I forget: Still hoping for some clarity/decisions on the following names:

Recognized Nobility – +1 C from Plantations
Anybody got a better word than "recognized". "Landed Nobility"?
Bustling Community OR Organized Society – +1 H from cities with Population of 6+
Which of these is best?
Mining Tradition or Mountain Folk – +2 Faith from Quarries
Which of these is best?

in addition to the ones mentioned above.

really quick clarification: there is no difference. I'm using them interchangeably. Sorry to be confusing, I totally misspoke here. The key thing is not the distinction between Research and Tech, but *discovering* and *breaking*.

Here is my original text, with new added emphasis (and a correction).

"Right, so in talks with our LB conditions, it has been proposed that destroying the Seals be a research project. The issue with this is, of course, that they also make a lot of sense also as production projects. To me, breaking them with research actually makes less sense than discovering their location with research. But, then again, we wanted to use espionage and/or map wandering as a means of divining their locations, so maybe that's fine. Still, I don't love the color of "destroying with science.""

my bad, then. You might make more sense of my whole rant on this if you reread it now.

Ah, right, ok! I think what you suggested was similar to what I replied with then? Looks like we like the idea of destroying the Seals as a traditional CiV 'project' and are still working on the research part of it.

In regards to the breaking of the seals, could "researching the seals" be a light side only global project? And similarly "The breaking of the seals" also be a global project? The first could actually be a research/tech project, where the city sacrifices it's science (+ 25-50% of its production?).

CiV never makes the distinction for the science coming from individual cities towards any scientific objectives, so I don't think we should start doing that.

We could make researching the Seals a 'global' project for just the Light side, but I think I like the idea of researching each Seal individually.

It's a bit confusing for the player if we siphon off a portion of their production towards another purpose - cities only ever work on one thing at a time, which is a core feature I don't think we want to mess with.

If I play Tall, am I going to be low in faith and so not strongly "light aligned"? Am I then not going to have much agency in controlling the dragon, especially if there is a very wide, faith focused civ? How does making shadow/light decisions relate to this during the game? Compare if I had only chosen light aligned actions, but the wide civ barely scraped in.
Will this necessitate faith/population and % increases to help tall Civs participate in controlling the dragon?

Does going tall usually preclude you from generating a lot of faith? A wide civ will be able to pump out faith by just building more Shrines/Temples (or our equivalents), but tall civs can specialize in it by using appropriate beliefs for their location, some natural wonders can produce a lot, several world wonders (e.g. Stonehenge) produce a lot of faith, and the Grand Temple, though that last one isn't huge.

If we find tall is at a disadvantage in faith production, we can introduce beliefs that give faith per population as well.

Having said all of that, I'm leaning towards counterpoint's later suggestions that faith be a 'reward' for being highly Light-leaning rather than determining it. I think there are some potential issues, but I'll come to them in a minute.

The idea behind the "rally to the Dragon" was that he arrives, walks through the street, gives a rousing speech etc.

I agree that it makes sense in universe, it's just that the actual effect isn't as splashy to use for a 'move' as some of the others.

Another Idea I had was to propose "Heros" / World unique UU for each civ (as in FFH or 3kingdom (civ4 mod)) + some for each
Those could be special GP-like units or "normal" units / channeler (mostly) or not.
but this would take up some names that you might have wanted for the GP.

However It could be a nice way to get to play with the characters of the books, and still play the world.

I think we could arrive to one per civ:
Andor: Elayne
Manetheren : Perrin (or Mat for the Red Hand)
Caihrien : Maybe Mat ? (he came into command of the Red Hand there iirc) / or Aldura ?
Aiels: Aviendha
Tear: Moiraine
Saldea : Fail Bashere or her father
SeanChan: Tuon / ...?
FarMadding : Caldsuane (or was she from another place?)
Malkier : Lan Mandragoran
WT : a Forsaken or Egwene depending on orientations of the WT
Illian ?

realtionship in the books could represent "alliance / peace-treaties, whatever" between those nations.

Maybe those special UU could get a "special treatment": means to ge them to change civ owner under some conditions (to reflect that aldura and mat went somehow into Andor's service in the books)
(conditions to be determined: faith/prestige higher than civ owner by x factor? + something else because we do not want high prestige civ to steal all heros)

Maybe each of those "heros" could get individual abilities (related to the book) that upgrade or come into play with : xp and/or techs/policies, to reflect the story of the book.

NB: possibility : add Rhuarc as a Great Capitain (even if he is not known as one... indeed the title of great capitain was only given to westlanders)

I think I'm with counterpoint on this one, I think hero style units feel quite un-CiV-like. It's more RPG than 4X, which isn't necessarily bad, but I don't think that's what we're going for. As you've mentioned, I think we'll probably use most of the characters from the books for GPs.

You're right, as usual. I chose a bad word here. Involuntary isn't correct. Perhaps, "indirect" is more what I mean. I think we are on the same page here. Reacting to stuff. I'll say though that I do think there should be some that feel very "I don't think I'm being a bad guy here" or at least "I don't want to do this, but I think I have to," so some civs end up properly feeling like the "ended up" with the shadow without being "evil" (story-wise, obviously the players can have whatever motivation they want).

The only thing I worry about with it being an *actual* slippery slope (where you can't tell which option is really the evil one) is that players will get to the Last Battle after having played for 10 hours and be like "What!? What do you mean I'm on the Shadow side!? I've been ready to play for the Light all along!" They can't go back - even if they knew where to go back to - it would take them hours to get back to the Last Battle again. CiV is generally quite transparent and "game-y" about these kinds of big choices, I think specifically to prevent those kinds of situations.

I don't feel strongly that there needs to be a true research project (global or local). This all could just be technology... but how would that work. Is there a separate tree? Does the tree change when somebody discovers one? Maybe it's a future-tech kind of thing, that's infinitely re-usable. I don't have the answers here.

Yeah, exactly, even if it is 'just a tech' it's quite mechanically different from the other techs in the tree. We can make any arbitrary tech repeatable like Future Tech very easily - so that players could research it X times for the X Seals they have. We could lock the tech for the player unless they currently have a Seal and we're at the stage of the game where they can be broken. (Locked techs are only in the base game when you're choosing a "free tech" and the ones you can't *start* researching now are shown as locked, with a red tech box and a lock symbol on the left hand side of it.) The UI (user interface, rather than unique improvement) of how we present that is probably something we can discuss later.

As long as we can explain to the player in game when they need to research this tech and how, then I think a repeating tech makes sense. Does it have prerequisites or shall we just make it floating at the 'appropriate' section of the tree? I'm tempted to have a 'secondary tree' that becomes available appropriate (like the ideological tenets becomes available on the policy screen), but I'm not sure how we'd have "different" techs there - it's essentially repeating the same process (check if the Seal is fake) X times.

Maybe a global project thing is a smart way to approach it - but it seems like we may end up with too many of these (one for production, research, etc.).

A global research project? I quite like the idea of researching each Seal individually. A co-operative Light side can share the load by distributing the Seals. This also goes some way to discourage "circling the wagons". You can only 'research' one Seal at a time, so to be more effective, it makes sense to give Seals to as many separate Light side players as possible.

That said, about those betrayals... How do you see that working? We've decided that light civs have to basically be locked into a team.. So... who exactly is betraying who?

Good point, if we're going for "lock in," (which I think we are) then there's never a good reason for a Light civ to trade a Seal away. The only time this would become important would be neutral civs trying to 'buy uninvolvement' with a Seal. It's not a big thing, so probably not worth implementing "Trading Seals" just for that.

Yeah, I guess the one thing that has me hesitant about all this (and the circling of the wagons) is that the seals just kind of weren't a big deal to 99.9% of the population of the world in the books. Only a couple main characters even had any idea what was going on with them. It was sort of just a rand thing, plus the few people he brought into it.

Obviously the seals WERE a big deal, ultimately. But strategically they weren't. Nobody was invading to get seals. Nobody was defending against an army of shadowspawn to protect a seal. Really, they were just a MacGuffin. So I'm kind of hesitant about them becoming a huge element. Them being a tech-based thing, sure - that represents the research Min et al were doing with them. But the centerpiece of invasions... just doesn't really feel very WoT to me. And I'm not sure it adds all that much - we already have a lot going on.

I think they were a big deal in the books, but both sides thought they totally had a handle on the Seals situation, so it wasn't their primary focus. I think it does add a lot in terms of focus for the Last Battle - wasn't this one of the big positives for the approach on the previous page? Without the Seals neither side has interim objectives - they just have "win the war," which isn't that inspiring. Mid-way objectives (the Seals) can give ebb and flow to the battles if they're well matched and give a sense of progression for the side that's doing well.

Not sure what to suggest though, aside from relying on espionage and other things for it. Huh, maybe culture/prestige has something to do with it (stealing them, that is)? Maybe that's how that aspect works into the LB?

I'm not sure if Culture/Prestige makes sense as a way of stealing the Seals. What's the actual explanation for how it works? I can see it happening incidentally - if a city flips and joins your civ due to your Prestige and there was a Seal in it then you'd get it, but not how the progressive influence (which is the majority of Prestige) would give it to you.

Well that's that then! Victory for the Light..... unless,..... are you Light?

The Great Lord said to say 'no comment.'

More tactful, it is. Less rude, then? Oh, so like "hey man, you've got something on your chin..."

:lol::lol:

I meant I really have no idea about the map scripting and how all that works.

The maps are randomized, but have predominant features (tundra/ice toward the poles, jungle at the equator, large landmasses surrounded by coast separated by deeper ocean) that show up on all of them. The core of the game's logic, which determines what the game does and how it does it is written in C++ and compiled into the DLL. But the game's UI (user interface again) and the map scripts are written in Lua, which is a scripting language. The map scripts each do different things to define the terrain and resource distributions of each map you play so that you can pick "continents" and know 'generally' what kind of map it will be, but without knowing its exact layout.

Though, now that you mention it, I do almost always play continents. I WANT to try the others, but I get cold feet. Do I really want to play all plains? Or a world with low resources? Maybe I do, but I am afraid of change.

I've never gone with low resources, but some of the other map types are surprisingly fun. I also play mostly continents, but I had an awesome game playing on the Lakes map type. Archipelago is also awesome if you want to do more naval stuff. (Or you're playing as Carthage/Polynesia/England/Songhai)

Nope. I don't know much about this at all. But what you're proposing makes perfect sense. Like, awesomely perfect. It can recede and grow, and such. And, obviously no improvement is possible. This is all fine and dandy like sour candy, as Ned would say.

Receding and growing is the technical issue though. We can't make a 'feature' appear mid-game (graphically) without the player reloading from a save file. Having the Blight spread is something I'd really like to do though, so I'll have to come up with *some* kind of workaround.

Cool! I liked Pazyryk's stuff. I always pictured the blight as more white/beige badlands or salty looking, whereas this is more of a black Mordor look. But I have no reason to believe it is one way and not the other, though.

I always pictured it as kind of sickening yellow-ish - not bright (so not like my post about the pantheon beliefs), but kind of 'vomit' colored (lovely image) - streaked with black. Sort of a less saturated version of the one from this post. (I think we want to steal Pazyryk's approach which makes it conform and follow the texture of the ground, but that post has the *kind of* color.)

What about using "world Era" for imposing the moment for switching from one calendar to the other ?

And:

I recall you not thinking it would work when we discussed this option before.
The problem with this method as I recall - though, in theory, I love this idea - is with the "time compression," right? Like, how would we change the year-increment per turn when how many turns per era isn't standardized. Isn't that the problem? If not, and this is possible, this is the best option, IMO.

I don't think time compression would be a problem. Again "time compression" happens to both the calendar and the eras we're progressing through (on a conceptual level - the Medieval era was X00 years long, the Atomic Era was only about 30-40 years? - but they have a similar number of techs) separately. So one "slowing down" doesn't affect the other.

In effect, the "slowing down" mechanisms are separate for calendars and eras. Each era, as you move along the tree, represents a shorter slice of human history (in terms of actual real world time that history spent "in that era"), but has a similar number of techs in it to the previous one. So if it takes you approximately the same amount of time (number of turns) to research your next tech over the course of the game, this translates to "time" moving more slowly as you move along the tree.

To balance with this, the turn system causes a specific amount of time to pass each time you end your turn. At the very beginning of the game, the first turn (on Normal game speed) is 40 years. By the end (around 2050), each turn is a month.

Note that these two systems are calibrated to create approximately historical series of events in approximately the right times, but do not actually feed back into each other. (Which is what 'world era' would do - the calendar system is entirely dependent on the tech system.)

So, using the 'world era' is possible, and will, in general, cause the years to be more closely (but not exactly) linked with the eras as the game progresses. However, I don't think this is necessarily a good thing - I think it's a very confusing change from base CiV. Most of our alterations for the mod are obvious and clear to the player that they're part of the "WoT-ification" of CiV. But if we change this, then the difference from base CiV is subtle and difficult to notice, but might catch you out later (if you're trying to compare your wins in the Hall of Fame, for example).

It also might catch us out - I'm not entirely sure how 'world era' for dates would interact with variable game speed (remember you can set the speed - Normal vs Marathon vs Quick).

I think this sums up why I think we should keep the dissociation between calendar and tech era that base CiV has:

"Man, did you see that game I finished yesterday? I won a science victory in 1753!"

Even if you translate the date, this statement becomes meaningless if we use the 'world era' to progress the calendars - because when "1753" is will vary from game to game. True, you can use turn number and that will still be universal, but I think date is a better "layman" marker for how far through the game you are. If things are happening "early" (you discover plastics in 200AD) then it's feedback that you're playing well.

Overall, I don't think that things happening at the "wrong time" is bad, because it's good feedback for the player. It's also a known quantity, since that's how base CiV does it. The thing about the dissociation in base CiV is that it's not very explicit about it and the exact way it keeps them apart isn't at all obvious unless you really dig into the mechanics like we're doing. But even without that fine-grained understanding, the CiV system "makes sense" on a conceptual level to a player, which we'd be sacrificing.

Right, OR the fourth age starts after NE 1000 or something. Don't like this, but its an idea.

I'm not sure, because I think this is part of our big sticking point here. There's no calendar for "the Fourth Age" (that we know of?) - I'd imagine that they keep using the Farede Calendar in the Westlands at least. This makes "the Fourth Age" much more like an era than a calendar progression, which is exactly what we want if we put it on the tech tree.

Don't forget the option of just calling everything AB something. I think that might be viable in that it completely ignores the issue and wont have any contradictions (e.g. FY 1 being in the middle of the trolloc wars)

This option is simpler, but if we take the "all one calendar" approach, I think it makes sense to use the Farede Calendar the whole time and extrapolate back (like CiV does with the Gregorian Calendar, BC is effectively negative years - so it starts in year -4000) - otherwise we'd have difficulty breaking up a turn to be less than a year toward the end of the game.

But like I said above, FY1 during the Trolloc Wars isn't necessarily a problem. That's just the player (or everybody) being slow.

OK, one problem with the use of the word "Consolidation" here is that it refers to both the conquest of Seanchan (a NE thing), and the conquest of the westlands by hawkwing (before that). The Seanchan invasion is also called The Conquest, which might be better - though that name does feel rather generic, despite it being a real thing.

The thing is, you're looking for the era of the high king to be what, around 500 years? It's only a few decades.

I agree with what you're saying here (and later) about the Era of the High King not being "long enough" in in-universe time. Note that we don't want that era to be 500 years long though - that would make each of the first four eras approximately the same "length" in in-universe time. We want them to get "shorter."

We have approximately 3000 years (shorter than base CiV) to split into 8 eras. I haven't actually done this math before and it occurs to me that we might be approaching the eras we've named already incorrectly. We actually want something like:

1. 1000 years
  2. 800 years
  3. 600
  4. 300
  5. 150
  6. 100
  7. 30
  8. 20

That's 3000 years divided into steadily shrinking slices. Working backwards:

Given that we're using "The Fourth Age" as our last era, I think 20 years works there (#8). (We're only modelling the tech for the universe up to 20 years after the Last Battle, in other words, like how CiV stops after "Nanotechnology" and "Nuclear Fusion" and other slightly futuristic things.)

The Age of the Dragon as representing 30 years of time (#7) also makes sense - Rand is in his early-to-mid-twenties during the Last Battle. So that's approximately his lifetime.

Encroaching Blight works for the previous 100 years (#6) - that's the right time frame for Malkier and those Stedding. Which addresses this:

Also, the era of encroaching blight... does that really happen for hundreds of years, or is that more of a Dragon era thing? I mean, malkier was swallowed right before Lan was born, so... 50 years ago or something? Certainly the age of the dragon could be extended to include things like the whitecloak war, if we needed to stretch that out so its a hundred years or so.

Because we've "divided up time" differently now.

That brings us back to #5. Conveniently, the Aiel War happens smack in the middle of this time frame. Can we use that in some way? Or is too "what happened in the books" rather than a property of the world?

And now #4: The only big things I see here are succession wars in Andor and the Aiel trade agreement with Cairhien to Shara. This is approximately 430NE to 730NE.

Then #3: Hawkwing and the War of Hundred Years are in the center of this era. I think "Era of the High King" sounds cool - but you're right that his lifetime represents only a small slice of this whole section. The latter half of this is also when Luthair arrives in Seanchan and conquers everybody there.

Then #2: Era of Freedom is tantalizingly close to "Free Years" but we might get away with this?

Then #1: After Breaking, it even lines up right! Almost as if we'd planned it all along. ;)

I know this is a bit of a shift from how we were doing eras before, but I think it's a lot more accurate, the main variable is whether we can name #4 and #5 well.

I also feel I should note that I use a lot of Farede calendar dates to "describe" eras here, which may be considered to cross over with the discussion of calendars above. It doesn't really - I'm using reference dates so we know what we're talking about, like you would refer to the renaissance era as approximately 1300-1600 AD-ish, even though that has limited bearing on when any civ will reach the renaissance era in a given game of CiV. (Side note: this does affect the turn numbers I quoted for the calendars, they should actually be more like (very rough math) turn 0-50 is AB0-1000, turn 50-150 is FY0-1000, and turns 150+ are NE0+)

Enormous caveat. This brings back our ancient problem: The Trolloc Wars now occur at the end of the first era, which prescribes a military focus at the beginning of the game. If we're going to use 'world era' to trigger the Trolloc Wars (which I think is good) we'd have to trigger it going into the "Era of Freedom" - which isn't so bad. You'll only be forced to go military *early* if you're already behind on tech. Maybe that is kind of bad. Let me think on that. (Also note, there isn't a flavor problem here with "Trolloc Wars" taking placing during 'world era' "Era of Freedom" because, like in base CiV, I don't think we should broadcast the 'world era' transitions to players anyway.)

Honestly, I don't really see a problem, given the calendar setup you propose, with using the "real" terms throughout. I don't think changing the names saves us from the contradictions, really, since the FYs will be beginning during the Trolloc Wars anyway (in theory). I suppose it is somewhat worse, though.

I think this is a flavor thing. As I've said above, I don't think it matters if things happen at the "wrong time." However, I think it will matter if we name an era after a calendar and then it doesn't match up.

Hand on a second.... the "True to Story" starting points of the different calendar eras do not have to do with tech. Not at all. They have to do with global events. And all CiVs would be linked in time with those. Coming off of what Illianor was saying - when the Trolloc Wars end - whenever that is - reset the clock to zero and spit out FY instead of AB. Is that possible? Same would happen after the 100 years war event (whatever that is). Would that answer our problems?

It's definitely possible, but I think it has other effects that I discussed above, which I think are big drawbacks.

Of course, then we'd really have to try to come up with nice names for the eras, because then the contradictions really would be felt, since verything else would feel so aligned. Hmmm...

1. After Breaking
  2. Era of Nations - maybe this is better, in that its more generic. Since we obviously won't have Ten exact nations. More just about embodying the fact that nations are popping up at this time.
  3. <- Trolloc Wars happen here
  4. Era of Recovery/ Era of Freedom - Reconstruction is somewhat a loaded term in the US. Means the period after our Civil War. Doesn't quite fit here. I don't love these names, but Freedom at least somewhat evokes the Free Years thing.
  5. Era of Consolidation/ Imperial Era/Era of the High King) Hmm... Maybe this could be the Era of Consolidation? I mean, I know his son settles to Seanchan in like 969... near the end of the era, but still, both events sort of take place in this period. It sounds more like an era name, and it seems somehow more generic - I can understand the "consolidation" of power being something that took a few hudnred years, whereas the high king himself was only around for a small bit. Imperial era is no better than yours, but I throw it out here nonetheless.
  6. Era of Consolidation/ Era of the Conquest/ Era of Fragmentation/ Era of New Nations - I don't know about this one.... all of these have problems.
  7. Era of Encroaching Blight - I can be ok with this one, it certainly is nice and ominous, but I don't know if it's too ominous. I mean, this is almost our "Modern Era," right ( relatively)? Is there a name for it that somehow corresponds to that?
  8. Age (Era?) of the Dragon
  9. The Fourth Age

I've incorporated parts of this into the discussion above! :D

In fact, I think this is definitely thew ay to do it! The threshold thing is awesome, mostly. I don't want it to get too min-maxy though. Like, people obsessing over not "wasting" their production (like I am with the World's Fair). That's the advantage of doing it on a city-by-city basis. My city's production creates upgrades in X number of cities. That makes the effects more obviously tangible. Is there a way to take out the weird gamesmanship of the pot-of-gold method you described? I like it, but I would hate situations where the team is sitting at 49 hammers (needing 50) and the AI won't pop in the extra one, etc.

I'd say the player can tweak the focuses of their cities to avoid "wasting" production. If you're stuck just below a threshold (you have 49 and need 50), then set one of the contributing cities to be production focused. Otherwise if you're a bit over, you can gold focus one of them and the "extra" citizens still benefit you.

The ogier? Was this a mechanic someone proposed? sounds interesting. I don't remember it.

Not really proposed in depth, we just mentioned in briefly, here:

- I don't think Influence can really be a factor until the LB, since Tourism/Prestige doesn't really pop up until late game. However, there is something interesting out there with regards to Culture, and Diplo I think. The Trolloc Wars destroyed every nation, essentially. Unless I'm mixing it up, the 10 nations were no more after the wars ended. Maybe there's something about maintaining your borders with culture going on - like maybe the Wars shrink or disrupt your territory. This is weird, and I'm not sure I like it, but it might be an avenue to at least think of.

I agree about Prestige not being a factor at this point, at most people will be producing a few points per turn, I'd say. Interesting idea about border decay - the only way to actually lose territory (aside from the obvious conquest) in base CiV is via Great General (which I remember you mentioning eons ago - but yeah, the Great General is super helpful mainly because of this ability!). Would these hexes be claimed by the Shadowspawn civ then? I can see some mechanic linking Stedding to reclaiming these hexes, so you'd want to keep them alive to get your land back.

What do you mean by shadowspawn uprisings? In the ligh civs? There aren't really shadowspawn around to rebel.

I should have said Darkfriend Uprisings - the whole "choosing against your alignment" discussion, one of the points we liked was uprisings in nations that choose strongly against their actions thus far.

Personally, I feel like a Dark civ probably is always unhappy. I guess it's possible they could be happy, but it'd take some serious brainwashing. Think the townspeople in that thakandar town from aMoL... they're either all turned or constantly horrified... or Slayer.

I agree with this on a flavor level, but I think being permanently unhappy is a huge disadvantage - especially since the Shadow civs need to win another victory. Negative happiness drastically reduces food production, and food is population is science is winning, roughly. It would be less of a problem for Light civs since they only need to win the "here and now" of the Last Battle

But yes, cities switching sides beased on presitge - which was in Civ 3 and 4, if I recall, may be an option here.

It's been added back into CiV as well, though I think in a relatively recent patch. Civs that are drastically unhappy due to Ideology differences can flip to control by the civ that is exerting the Ideology (through Tourism) on them.

Are really most of them stedding? It seems like we have a handful of CSs that are somewhat essential, without them. Mayene. WT, Far Madding, Falme. OK, maybe that's only four. Still, I don't know if we have that many more stedding than that.

Exactly, there are those 4 "normal" CSes and there are a lot of Stedding. A Huge map needs to have 24 city states and we don't want the ones it picks to always be the same, so I think it makes a lot of sense to use the Stedding for the rest. That begs the question of whether it would be worth having *only* Stedding as CSes, because that unified theme could give us options with how civs deal with them across the board? (We'd still want to include Mayene, Far Madding, etc. some other way - Tar Valon can easily be an exception since player dealings with them will be clearly differentiated.)

Probably something to discuss later!

Right. I'm still liking the idea that Faith is your REWARD for doing stuff in the LB (helpin the team and all).

Yes, I see what you mean about this distinction and I think I like it too!

Yeah, maybe that's all it is, a model that appears. Still, you mentioned before that some people will want to control Rand. They just don't know that we considered it and that this is probably better - my thought is merely that we might try to create a sort f illusion that he IS there, so nobody complains.

Sure, we can definitely do something like that.

Running out of time tonight. So just a few thoughts on these.

• Steal a Seal from the Shadow - Gosh, I just don't know anymore. Golly! Gee whiz! This is tricky. MAybe this isn't a great use of his time? Or maybe it's simply that he does it way faster than a spy can?

I think way faster is the way to go. We want a lot of options here and given the importance of the Seals (and that Shadow civs are trying to break them) - stealing in fewer turns might be very important.

• Root out Darkfriends - Yeah sure. This makes sense if there is the mechanic of a city switching sides... which seems crazy to implement, but cool.

I think switching sides makes sense as a Prestige thing - like switching in base CiV. So Rand could give you a massive Prestige bonus - which makes sense on a flavor level too.

• Attack Shadowspawn - Yeah, I think he's a Randplane. And I think he can attack anybody... maybe not neutral units, though. Not sure on this. Depends, is this Zen rand of aMoL or bad Rand of 11-13?

Randplane ftw! I think quite a few people like this idea then.

• Influence with the Tower - Yeah, doing *something* there, for sure. Researchy stuff? I really don't know.

Going to come back to this later because I'm also short on time. I'm not sure we could ever "station" him at Tar Valon though - because that wouldn't mesh with the events of the books.

• Ta'veren Probability Manipulation - Yeah, the randomness seems cool... but ould anybody really ever choose to do it? I think honestly its just a consequence wherever he goes. As in, not something you choose to do. And maybe its not always, just sometimes, randomly.

Yes, I think having this as a static effect rather than a 'move' makes sense - like the city strength enhancement. How do we want to model the probability changes though? I'm not sure what good/bad things we can do that won't feel like odd windfalls/vindictive.

• Winning the Last Battle - I think probably - Dragon captures the City is the answer here. What else could it be.

Awesome sauce, let's go with that.

• Dragon Bomb - Totally agree. I mean, this is the same as shadowspawn attack, though, right? Just stronger? What's the difference?
    Holy crash - what if he used balefire? Could it be a nuke but that there's a chance of some crazy stuff happening, like unraveling the pattern? I don't know what that would be, but... maybe we think on it? Radiation?

I'm not sure what you mean by the same as a Shadowspawn attack? This is effectively using him like a Tactical Nuke - there should probably be a cooldown on this.

Balefire sounds like a good characterization for this - I'll think on it a bit more to see how we might model the Pattern unraveling.

• Asha'man Recruitment - I don't think I like this, really. Aren't ashaman going to be a separate mechanic? I mean, maybe the dragon can help you get them faster. Haven't figured out ashaman yet... so maybe table this one

Ok, yeah, we can come back to this. I was thinking that however we end up doing channeling that Asha'men would eventually be units of some kind - and producing one (or several, depending on how strong they are) is flexible, flavorful, useful, and doesn't punish the player if the AI decides to do it for themselves.

Sure! Both is fine with me. I will say, though, that Illianor's comments later, and some thought of my own, is making me not love the whole idea of Light-leaning as faith.

They should be related. Certainly. But I think they're related int he opposite direction: Light Leaning creates Faith. Not faith leads to light leaning.

I think if you are heavily light leaning, you should get faith bonuses. Heavily shadow leaning = faith minuses, etc. Maybe a few gradations along the way (or percentages or something).

To me this is an important distinction because its still possible to have a high faith shadow civ - they chose certain Path tenants, buildings, got lots of Prophets, their UA, etc. They should still have high faith... but less high than if they were light. Perhaps significantly so.

But, then, we wouldn't use Faith to determine the dragon, then. A super light-leaning civ could have never done much infrastructure, or could be Tall (Illianor indicates that this causes less faith), and would be penalized in terms of dragon awesomeness. This Light civ should also still be a primary target for shadowspawn (or other consequences of being light),d espite perhaps having a lower total faith output than a Wide, but less Lighty, civ.

Perhaps there needs to be a separate variable - your "brightness" so to speak - that just tracks Light and Shadow.

Perhaps the shadow calculation is then just Light and Prestige. OR Light and Prestige AND faith, all together

Thoughts?

I really like this and I think I'm on board with it. My only real reservation is that if we do it this way, I think we should present the 'leaning' to the player through the UI so that they know how they're being graded. Otherwise it's difficult for them to know how to best affect the Dragon's turn order. This was one of the advantages of using faith - players could realize late that they weren't doing too well at it, but still mitigate that rather than be locked into it. (Not completely recover and always be first, but at least pull themselves up out of last.) As long as we maintain the possibility of doing that for the player (e.g. there are 'brightness' rewards during the Last Battle for specific tasks) then I think yours is the better system.

That does cross over with our notion of falling into the Shadow being "indirect" though. I would suggest the player can only see their 'brightness' during the Last Battle, but then you've got no metric to "prepare" for the Dragon by.

OK. The reason I don't love these names is they don't feel WoT to me at all. Like, I want an adjective that is more in-unverse. Barring that, I do think I like Stalwart Defenders/Protectors better than Staunch. Staunch is just a weird one, for me.

Stalwart Defenders is good with me - it's the Defenders part that I'm most fond of there.

Wow, no idea about changing the settler name. To what?

Not sure yet!

Well, then! Interesting. What would you call that, in-universe?

Also not sure! It would make sense for this name to be an "upgrade" to the one above, so hopefully the inspiration will come as a pair.

Right. The bubbles are just crazy stuff happening. Axes flying around, etc. I like this idea, I think! (ignoring the balefire thing for now) I don't know if you shoudl really be targeting specific civs. They're random aren't they? Couldn't they smack the shadow civs as well? I mean, the decline of the world does negatively impact the shadow civs too.

I see what you mean here. I don't think any player would ever be able to 'target' a specific civ - but it seems backwards to cause a bubble of evil in a Shadow civ after it just broke a Seal. That civ is doing well - why are we punishing it for it?

Another very similar alternative is that the more Seals that are broken at a given time, the more common bubbles of evil are globally. This makes sense in universe and shouldn't feedback directly into "I did my correct victory condition thing and the game is killing me because of it."

Right, the key distinction I was trying to highlight was that Faith (maybe hapiness or prestige) would be a direct reward for helping out the team.

I didn't see this distinction last time, but I think I do now! Makes sense, given the discussions above.

OK, maybe we currently stay with permanent alliance - no voting - and see how much it sucks.

Like the "choose a side" for the Last Battle, we can effectively "try out" this way of doing it for free. Even if we go for a system where people can join/leave/be kicked, before implementing that I'd have to put in a "locked down" one and make sure that worked - then layer leaving on top of that.

s3rgeus:

Quick question regarding Customs. We'd spoken of "beefing them up" a bit so they play a larger role.

Was the idea to bulk up the Follower Customs, or the Founder Customs (relative to CiV)?

On the one hand, it would be cool to have buff Founder custums, but obviously that kind of thing would really be lame if you missed out on the set of 5 Paths.

Thoughts?

I think beef up both. I'd say there are two possible arrangements for a given player that hasn't founded a Path:

• They were legitimately beaten to the punch by 5 other civs. I think that with 5 of the AIs doing better than the player at this specific system, it's not too much of a stretch to exclude the player from a significant bonus. (Number is lower than 5 on smaller maps though?)
  • Or they're playing as a Shadow civ and the faith penalties are holding them back. The Shadow Boons should be going some way to making up the difference here.

Also, lest I forget: Still hoping for some clarity/decisions on the following names:

Recognized Nobility – +1 C from Plantations
Anybody got a better word than "recognized". "Landed Nobility"?

I'm not a big fan of "landed." I don't like "Recognized" too much either though. I was trying to evoke the fact that nobility had become a "formal" part of society and that gave them power to administer establishments like plantations. (This sounds like a social policy?) What about "Formalized Nobility"?

Bustling Community OR Organized Society – +1 H from cities with Population of 6+
Which of these is best?

I'd go with Bustling Community.

Mining Tradition or Mountain Folk – +2 Faith from Quarries
Which of these is best?

Mountain Folk, but it's not a strong preference.

Bustling Community and Mining Folk are my preferences. No suggestion for the Landed Nobility. Gentry.

So in regards to the light/shadow choices throughout the game. They could be something like "Gain 50 gold, or gain 50 faith" with some flavourful text to designate why the faith option is 'good'

Re:Customs
Most Founder beliefs are already pretty good, but some could do with buffing. I think making religions too powerful is bad, because then not founding one becomes a major disadvantage. Otherwise the game will likely become, build settlers/shrines for religion then pump out military units for trolloc wars.

But what do I do with faith once once all my cities are converted, especially if I am not the founder and get no benefit from converting others? Or if my religion is already dominant across the world? Are there units I will be able to buy?

The tall vs wide faith thing is specifically that the main ways to get faith are pantheons and shrines/temples. Going wide means more faith tiles and more buildings, and more lands includes a better chance of grabbing a natural wonder that would otherwise not be in a great spot for a tall empire. While there are faith wonders, a wide empire can still have a strong capitol to produce the relevant wonders. Try founding and maintaining a religion as Venice.

As an aside, I feel like the Stone should either be a Natural Wonder (because it was not built by a civ) or simply a part of Tear's UA and always a part of them. A bonus to their capitols defences and combat strength and maybe providing culture and prestige after some tech unlocks (like India's Mughal Forts).

Yay, it's great that WoT mod is in development, can't wait to play it!:D
And even size of this thread is becoming quite like one of WoT books :goodjob:

When it comes to the Dragon being born in-game, it can be tied to the Prophecies which behave like Great Works, but when you gather a certain amount (e.g. five) you get a 'quest' to either give information about them to White Tower, or to the Dark One, which either gives you faith (WT) or boost from the DO (anti-faith points and sth like money/shadowspawn control etc.). Getting these would be either by archeologist-like units, or great people, (or both) depending on the balance between tall and wide civs.

When it comes to where Rand is born, IMO it depends on how much does player 'get' from the Dragon being born on territory under his control. If Rand just wanders as he wants without control, it can be random, and if not it can depend on what we want to reward:
science - first to get to Age of the Dragon
culture/prestige - one with most of it at the time
expansion - one with Dragonmount on his territory
or to the most light-leaning civ.

In my opinion Dragon shouldn't be controlled before The Last Battle, and so he would be born in random civ, wandering to various cities, causing very small bonuses or damaging a little place where he is, as Ta'veren.

Hopefully it adds something to the discussion, I got a little confused by the amounts of information in your posts :crazyeye:

CiV never makes the distinction for the science coming from individual cities towards any scientific objectives, so I don't think we should start doing that.

We could make researching the Seals a 'global' project for just the Light side, but I think I like the idea of researching each Seal individually.

It's a bit confusing for the player if we siphon off a portion of their production towards another purpose - cities only ever work on one thing at a time, which is a core feature I don't think we want to mess with.

OK, new (potential) issue, then: are civs researching *specific* seals, or just "discover seal", applying to random ones. Do they need to be in possession of the seal, somehow, right? If so, we need to flesh out exactly how that happens a bit more.

If not, how to we prevent a situation where people are researching the same seal, and thus wasting their beakers when another civ completes it - unless, it's all very generic, and that second civ simply automatically applies their research towards another seal (only wasting it when all seals are ID'd. I guess what I'm eager to prevent is the AI screwing the system up, similar to situations like you mentioned before where bad-science civ decides to research the seal, locking the player out of doing so.

Does going tall usually preclude you from generating a lot of faith? A wide civ will be able to pump out faith by just building more Shrines/Temples (or our equivalents), but tall civs can specialize in it by using appropriate beliefs for their location, some natural wonders can produce a lot, several world wonders (e.g. Stonehenge) produce a lot of faith, and the Grand Temple, though that last one isn't huge.

If we find tall is at a disadvantage in faith production, we can introduce beliefs that give faith per population as well.

Having said all of that, I'm leaning towards counterpoint's later suggestions that faith be a 'reward' for being highly Light-leaning rather than determining it. I think there are some potential issues, but I'll come to them in a minute.

Illianor seems pretty sure of this, so I'm inclined to agree. I think we both are in agreement on faith as a non-essential determining factor in the LB, so I don't feel so bad if a tall empire suffers a bit.

anotherthing that is really important for the WoT feel:
-the sword-stances-names...heron swordman..."sword stances"
-replace the belief/religion/lineage system : however that's not logical / wouldn't have any link with the more "tile / building /improvement bonus"
-promotions for great capitains / heron-swordmen / normal swordmen units
promotions can be bought with xp (mid-gains) or
free promotion for units with GC/training ground nearby or being heron swordman :small chance of appearing randomly on units / or given for free at each level : very small bonus : 2%morale / 2%defense / 2%attack / 2%vs range..etc, but by adding themselves they some nice effect)
-actions for elite units: great capitains, heron swordmen, other elite units: actions as in the "spells/abilties" of FFH : (but then you"ll get use of only few stances)

-used only to rename the promotions related to combat (IMO flavorful, but it will get some times to get used to it)

Ah, the sword forms... I must confess that I never found them particularly compelling in WoT. To me, it often seemed like a way for RJ to do a "Battle Scene"... without actually telling us anything about what was actually happening... ("He struck with A Hen Lays an Egg, but Lan was ready with The Weasel Sips Tea. Luckily, Rand surprised everybody with The Tortoise and the Hare. My god! Not The Tortoise and the Hare!") I'm being facetious of course, but truthfully part of what made the super long battles of aMoL actually work is that Sanderson decided to, you know, use regular prose to describe a battle.

All that said, and putting aside my biases, I think this flavor is a bit too detailed to incorporate into the game in any real meaningful way. As far as Blademasters go (probably the more elegant name than Heron Swordsman) - I think they make the most sense as either a 1)promotion for melee units, 2) a UU for some civ (not sure which would make sense), or 3) a mid-late game melee unit.

I'm not particularly drawn to the sword forms popping up, except perhaps as random flavor text periodically - they *could* be the names of promotions, but I'm not sure fans really know what any of them actually are, except for maybe "Sheathing the Sword" (which would make for an interesting one...).

regarding heros:

counterpoint: I understand your vision, but really, you should have a try at fall from heaven. You'll see that having heroes (which are in fact UU or world-wonder-UU) is flavorful, doesn't break balance if you take them into account early in the conception of the civs, doesn't make it "un-civ-like".

Definitely hoping to try FFH soon, for sure! In the meantime, I think I prefer to avoid this kind of thing for this mod for the time being.

The only thing I worry about with it being an *actual* slippery slope (where you can't tell which option is really the evil one) is that players will get to the Last Battle after having played for 10 hours and be like "What!? What do you mean I'm on the Shadow side!? I've been ready to play for the Light all along!" They can't go back - even if they knew where to go back to - it would take them hours to get back to the Last Battle again. CiV is generally quite transparent and "game-y" about these kinds of big choices, I think specifically to prevent those kinds of situations.

Yeah, I can get on board with this.

As long as we can explain to the player in game when they need to research this tech and how, then I think a repeating tech makes sense. Does it have prerequisites or shall we just make it floating at the 'appropriate' section of the tree? I'm tempted to have a 'secondary tree' that becomes available appropriate (like the ideological tenets becomes available on the policy screen), but I'm not sure how we'd have "different" techs there - it's essentially repeating the same process (check if the Seal is fake) X times.

OK, good. I like this. I like the idea of a secondary area... maybe doesn't need to be a full tree. But somehow having these techs be "off" the normal tree makes aesthetic sense.

Would we consider there being *other* LB-only lightside techs one could research? Either as a part of victory conditions or merely as options boosts to your forces? I don't know what they would be, but if you wanted a full "tree" there that's an option..... not sure it's worth making this thing more complicated though.

A global research project? I quite like the idea of researching each Seal individually. A co-operative Light side can share the load by distributing the Seals. This also goes some way to discourage "circling the wagons". You can only 'research' one Seal at a time, so to be more effective, it makes sense to give Seals to as many separate Light side players as possible.

OK. I think you maybe just answered my earlier question here...

Good point, if we're going for "lock in," (which I think we are) then there's never a good reason for a Light civ to trade a Seal away. The only time this would become important would be neutral civs trying to 'buy uninvolvement' with a Seal. It's not a big thing, so probably not worth implementing "Trading Seals" just for that.

So, no to trading.. but, how do we get the seals int he hands of our researchin' civs?

Also, just to be clear, you expect there to still be "regular" techs left to research at this point right (unless the game has a player super far ahead in science)? Like, civs would either research the seal OR research Dragons or something? Is there an equivalent to "Future Tech" (considering score is meaningless in the LB, apparently)?

I think they were a big deal in the books, but both sides thought they totally had a handle on the Seals situation, so it wasn't their primary focus. I think it does add a lot in terms of focus for the Last Battle - wasn't this one of the big positives for the approach on the previous page? Without the Seals neither side has interim objectives - they just have "win the war," which isn't that inspiring. Mid-way objectives (the Seals) can give ebb and flow to the battles if they're well matched and give a sense of progression for the side that's doing well.

OK. OK. Just put down the gun! Seal-battle it is!

I'm not sure if Culture/Prestige makes sense as a way of stealing the Seals. What's the actual explanation for how it works? I can see it happening incidentally - if a city flips and joins your civ due to your Prestige and there was a Seal in it then you'd get it, but not how the progressive influence (which is the majority of Prestige) would give it to you.

I've never gone with low resources, but some of the other map types are surprisingly fun. I also play mostly continents, but I had an awesome game playing on the Lakes map type. Archipelago is also awesome if you want to do more naval stuff. (Or you're playing as Carthage/Polynesia/England/Songhai)

I did do one archipelago game as polynesia, but then I felt guilty later. I kind of dominated (via culture), and it felt in retrospect like the equivalent of starting the game with the lead... Fine to happen randomly, but choosing to it I felt kinda dirty.

Receding and growing is the technical issue though. We can't make a 'feature' appear mid-game (graphically) without the player reloading from a save file. Having the Blight spread is something I'd really like to do though, so I'll have to come up with *some* kind of workaround.

Ah. weird. So if it's a feature like an improvement, it can't just move around? But improvements disappear and appear during the course of a game..... No need to explain it. I accept it - hopefully there's a work around.

And yeah, puke is a decent blight color.

And:
I don't think time compression would be a problem. Again "time compression" happens to both the calendar and the eras we're progressing through (on a conceptual level - the Medieval era was X00 years long, the Atomic Era was only about 30-40 years? - but they have a similar number of techs) separately. So one "slowing down" doesn't affect the other.

In effect, the "slowing down" mechanisms are separate for calendars and eras. Each era, as you move along the tree, represents a shorter slice of human history (in terms of actual real world time that history spent "in that era"), but has a similar number of techs in it to the previous one. So if it takes you approximately the same amount of time (number of turns) to research your next tech over the course of the game, this translates to "time" moving more slowly as you move along the tree.

To balance with this, the turn system causes a specific amount of time to pass each time you end your turn. At the very beginning of the game, the first turn (on Normal game speed) is 40 years. By the end (around 2050), each turn is a month.

Note that these two systems are calibrated to create approximately historical series of events in approximately the right times, but do not actually feed back into each other. (Which is what 'world era' would do - the calendar system is entirely dependent on the tech system.)

So, using the 'world era' is possible, and will, in general, cause the years to be more closely (but not exactly) linked with the eras as the game progresses. However, I don't think this is necessarily a good thing - I think it's a very confusing change from base CiV. Most of our alterations for the mod are obvious and clear to the player that they're part of the "WoT-ification" of CiV. But if we change this, then the difference from base CiV is subtle and difficult to notice, but might catch you out later (if you're trying to compare your wins in the Hall of Fame, for example).

OK. Yes, it does seem that we should keep the era and tech tree technically independent - but try to get them to roughly sync through other means (as in civ).

Makes me wonder, kinda, what the point of Era in base civ is. obviously, some social policies unlock (but this could just as easily be done via researching a tech), adn the world congress changes, but otherwise it is odd to have a civ-specific era, once you really think about it.

This option is simpler, but if we take the "all one calendar" approach, I think it makes sense to use the Farede Calendar the whole time and extrapolate back (like CiV does with the Gregorian Calendar, BC is effectively negative years - so it starts in year -4000) - otherwise we'd have difficulty breaking up a turn to be less than a year toward the end of the game.

For the record, I don't like the one-calendar idea that much, but I will say I don't quite get why Farede would be superior to AB if we did choose it. The nice thing about AB as The One is that we know 100% that it will start correct - 1 AB - while Farede's "year 1" could be in any number of eras. Not a big deal, but more likely to break immersion.

I agree with what you're saying here (and later) about the Era of the High King not being "long enough" in in-universe time. Note that we don't want that era to be 500 years long though - that would make each of the first four eras approximately the same "length" in in-universe time. We want them to get "shorter."

We have approximately 3000 years (shorter than base CiV) to split into 8 eras. I haven't actually done this math before and it occurs to me that we might be approaching the eras we've named already incorrectly. We actually want something like:

1. 1000 years
  2. 800 years
  3. 600
  4. 300
  5. 150
  6. 100
  7. 30
  8. 20

That's 3000 years divided into steadily shrinking slices. Working backwards:

Given that we're using "The Fourth Age" as our last era, I think 20 years works there (#8). (We're only modelling the tech for the universe up to 20 years after the Last Battle, in other words, like how CiV stops after "Nanotechnology" and "Nuclear Fusion" and other slightly futuristic things.)

If I'm understanding the fourth age correctly - a necessary placeholder for the tech-tree purposes - as basically encompassing the LB kind of period, shouldn't it be way fewer years than that? Weren't we talking about a turn being a week, or a month max? So wouldn't it be a few years long?

The Age of the Dragon as representing 30 years of time (#7) also makes sense - Rand is in his early-to-mid-twenties during the Last Battle. So that's approximately his lifetime.

Sure. 20 or 25 could also work.

Encroaching Blight works for the previous 100 years (#6) - that's the right time frame for Malkier and those Stedding. Which addresses this:

Yeah, sure. I will say, though, I'm still not totally sold on the name. These eras are sparked by tech, right? I know we aren't naming them to reflect that, but this one seems to ignore the civs themselves and focus on other stuff happening in the world. I dunno, not in love. I could live with it. It *sounds* cool - just not sure it fits.

That brings us back to #5. Conveniently, the Aiel War happens smack in the middle of this time frame. Can we use that in some way? Or is too "what happened in the books" rather than a property of the world?

I think yo are confusing the Aiel War with another war. The Aiel war happens either at the very end of the Encroaching Blight era, or the very beginning of the AotD. Remember, Tam finds Rand as a baby while the Aiel are all heading back into the waste. That war ended in 978 NE.

I'm really trying to figure out which war you might be referring to. Not the whitecloak war, as that ones in era 6 (957). The previous war on the timeline appears to some one between cairhien and andor in 671.

And now #4: The only big things I see here are succession wars in Andor and the Aiel trade agreement with Cairhien to Shara. This is approximately 430NE to 730NE.

While this particularly spread of time compression seems reasonable, I think the problem is we're perhaps ending up with a lot of "nothing going on" eras in the NE. I don't know if this is avoidable, but it's worth mentioning.

Then #3: Hawkwing and the War of Hundred Years are in the center of this era. I think "Era of the High King" sounds cool - but you're right that his lifetime represents only a small slice of this whole section. The latter half of this is also when Luthair arrives in Seanchan and conquers everybody there.

So, it does feel quite weird to me, and kind of off-putting, to have FY start up int he middle of an era. I know we can't make it perfect, but according to these, even a "perfectly timed" game would have an era that spans two wholly different.... eras.

To me, it seems somewhat for the post-hawkwing time to be the beginning of an era. The whole world changed. There was an epic war. Seanchan was colonized. The empire collapsed. It just needs it. True, the dawn of FY 1feels important, but to me the calendar change is the least of the issues. Of course, Hawkwing himself is a short period. I could see his empire either representing the End of the previous era, or theoretically the *beginning* of the later era than includes the Conquest and such (this is probably less good, though, as the War of the hundred years is a big blob in the middle of it)

I know you may feel that I'm tying myself too close to history as represented in WoT, and that such is not very civ-friendly. But, I ask again what else is the point of the Eras, except to express a sentiment about the place in that presumed history we are in? We can't base it totally on tech, because WoT doesn't have as wide a range of techs throughout its history as Earth does.

Then #2: Era of Freedom is tantalizingly close to "Free Years" but we might get away with this?

Again, I know the exact date is impossible, but in an *ideal* game, I'd like the Trolloc wars to be over when civs reach the FYs.

Then #1: After Breaking, it even lines up right! Almost as if we'd planned it all along. ;)

I know this is a bit of a shift from how we were doing eras before, but I think it's a lot more accurate, the main variable is whether we can name #4 and #5 well.

I also feel I should note that I use a lot of Farede calendar dates to "describe" eras here, which may be considered to cross over with the discussion of calendars above. It doesn't really - I'm using reference dates so we know what we're talking about, like you would refer to the renaissance era as approximately 1300-1600 AD-ish, even though that has limited bearing on when any civ will reach the renaissance era in a given game of CiV. (Side note: this does affect the turn numbers I quoted for the calendars, they should actually be more like (very rough math) turn 0-50 is AB0-1000, turn 50-150 is FY0-1000, and turns 150+ are NE0+)

Enormous caveat. This brings back our ancient problem: The Trolloc Wars now occur at the end of the first era, which prescribes a military focus at the beginning of the game. If we're going to use 'world era' to trigger the Trolloc Wars (which I think is good) we'd have to trigger it going into the "Era of Freedom" - which isn't so bad. You'll only be forced to go military *early* if you're already behind on tech. Maybe that is kind of bad. Let me think on that. (Also note, there isn't a flavor problem here with "Trolloc Wars" taking placing during 'world era' "Era of Freedom" because, like in base CiV, I don't think we should broadcast the 'world era' transitions to players anyway.)[/QUOTE]

In light of this issue, and the previously mentioned somewhat-boring periods in the NE, I definitely think we should try to figure out a way to include two sections of AB. I do think the TW should occur mid-2nd era at the earliest - probably with the 3rd era being a better place, gameplay-wise. I definitely don't love the flavor of half the civs being in the Era of Freedom before the wars even start.... Definitely makes the EoF make more sense as Era 3.

IS there a way to salvage the "Era of Nations" as proposed? How can we make it work with still some sort of slowing time compression?

To me, here are the priorities, for me, at least:

1) The TW doesn't start to early. Ideally, ithappens at the end of an era, or, alternatively, is somewhat representative of an era in and of itself (taking long enough to essentially dominant the era for many civs).
2) Hawkwing needs to be at the end of or the start of an era.
3) counterintuitive naming situations (Freedom pre-TW, for example) would be avoided for most civs in "typical" games. Note that I'm speaking more of eras than of calendars, as that convo has already been tackled as much as possible and I'm mostly letting go of that.

I would propose a new set of dates and names, but I'd like to see what your thoughts on all of this is first.

It's definitely possible, but I think it has other effects that I discussed above, which I think are big drawbacks.

Well, couldn't we "Maya" it, though? You're right that the "real" dates are a guid signpost, but those could also be visible. Like, it go say "FY 23 (2895 AB)"

I'd say the player can tweak the focuses of their cities to avoid "wasting" production. If you're stuck just below a threshold (you have 49 and need 50), then set one of the contributing cities to be production focused. Otherwise if you're a bit over, you can gold focus one of them and the "extra" citizens still benefit you.

Rght. But you can't see what everybody else is contributing, right? Or can you? If you can't, then this might still be an issue.

I agree with this on a flavor level, but I think being permanently unhappy is a huge disadvantage - especially since the Shadow civs need to win another victory. Negative happiness drastically reduces food production, and food is population is science is winning, roughly. It would be less of a problem for Light civs since they only need to win the "here and now" of the Last Battle

Sorry. I don't mean "permanently unhappy." I mean "penalties to happiness. This seems reasonable, as happiness could still be achieved through other means.

It's been added back into CiV as well, though I think in a relatively recent patch. Civs that are drastically unhappy due to Ideology differences can flip to control by the civ that is exerting the Ideology (through Tourism) on them.

Wow. I think I have the latest patch.... I have absolutely never seen this.

Exactly, there are those 4 "normal" CSes and there are a lot of Stedding. A Huge map needs to have 24 city states and we don't want the ones it picks to always be the same, so I think it makes a lot of sense to use the Stedding for the rest. That begs the question of whether it would be worth having *only* Stedding as CSes, because that unified theme could give us options with how civs deal with them across the board? (We'd still want to include Mayene, Far Madding, etc. some other way - Tar Valon can easily be an exception since player dealings with them will be clearly differentiated.)

Oh, wow.That's a lot of Stedding! Is it kinda boring having the CSs only be steddings? I liked having Shadar Logoth in the picture, if only just as flavor. I know far madding and all that gets to be a bit much, but I'm not sure how else we'd use them, sinc ethey likely won't be full civs.

I think switching sides makes sense as a Prestige thing - like switching in base CiV. So Rand could give you a massive Prestige bonus - which makes sense on a flavor level too.

So, then, you'd get the prestige bonus just for the turn(s) he's there? Is that likely to make an impact really? Would it be comparable to a mini concert tour or something?

Yes, I think having this as a static effect rather than a 'move' makes sense - like the city strength enhancement. How do we want to model the probability changes though? I'm not sure what good/bad things we can do that won't feel like odd windfalls/vindictive.

Ugh, this one seems kinda hairy. Maybe it's simpler just to effect yields. Like have one yield go up 1 or 2, and another go down by the same. Or make it random (1-4 up and 1-4 down) , so some turns things went well, and some went poorly. Anything more complicated seems.... complicated.

I'm not sure what you mean by the same as a Shadowspawn attack? This is effectively using him like a Tactical Nuke - there should probably be a cooldown on this.

What I mean is, what's the functional difference between having Rand use the BaleNuke, versus just attacking bad guys (another move we said he has)?

I really like this and I think I'm on board with it. My only real reservation is that if we do it this way, I think we should present the 'leaning' to the player through the UI so that they know how they're being graded. Otherwise it's difficult for them to know how to best affect the Dragon's turn order. This was one of the advantages of using faith - players could realize late that they weren't doing too well at it, but still mitigate that rather than be locked into it. (Not completely recover and always be first, but at least pull themselves up out of last.) As long as we maintain the possibility of doing that for the player (e.g. there are 'brightness' rewards during the Last Battle for specific tasks) then I think yours is the better system.

That does cross over with our notion of falling into the Shadow being "indirect" though. I would suggest the player can only see their 'brightness' during the Last Battle, but then you've got no metric to "prepare" for the Dragon by.

Well, what if it wasn't an actual number they saw? Instead, they saw a flavorful word that described the state of their civilization. So, while a leader may not be deliberately doing things that they perceive as evil, their civ is described as being more corrupted.

Speaking of which, what should we call the "brightness" scale - it should not be called that! Alignment is an option, though it feels a bit stale.

Stalwart Defenders is good with me - it's the Defenders part that I'm most fond of there.

ok, until we find better!

I see what you mean here. I don't think any player would ever be able to 'target' a specific civ - but it seems backwards to cause a bubble of evil in a Shadow civ after it just broke a Seal. That civ is doing well - why are we punishing it for it?

Another very similar alternative is that the more Seals that are broken at a given time, the more common bubbles of evil are globally. This makes sense in universe and shouldn't feedback directly into "I did my correct victory condition thing and the game is killing me because of it."

Oh, I'm absolutely thinking of them as global. I'm not suggesting that Tear (evil Tear) breaks a seal and gets a Bubble. No, they break a seal and *somebody* gets a bubble... and other global effects happen (penalties to food, more shadowspawn, etc.).

I'm not a big fan of "landed." I don't like "Recognized" too much either though. I was trying to evoke the fact that nobility had become a "formal" part of society and that gave them power to administer establishments like plantations. (This sounds like a social policy?) What about "Formalized Nobility"?

I think we should probably go in a different direction here - these all do sound like social policies. The point isn't that you have nobles, but that those nobles' estates help in generating culture.. hmmmm... In Civ, Oral Tradition is, of course, likely a reference to slave culture and such. I'm inclined to try to pull away from the Noble thing.

Maybe this isn't so much better, but we could rip off of Oral Tradition and go with "Keepers of History" or something like this. Not specific to plantations, but I think it works int he same way oral tradition does.

If we really try to go for the noble thing..... Id like it to feel less governmental and social-policy-esque.

I think beef up both. I'd say there are two possible arrangements for a given player that hasn't founded a Path:

• They were legitimately beaten to the punch by 5 other civs. I think that with 5 of the AIs doing better than the player at this specific system, it's not too much of a stretch to exclude the player from a significant bonus. (Number is lower than 5 on smaller maps though?)
  • Or they're playing as a Shadow civ and the faith penalties are holding them back. The Shadow Boons should be going some way to making up the difference here.

Most Founder beliefs are already pretty good, but some could do with buffing. I think making religions too powerful is bad, because then not founding one becomes a major disadvantage. Otherwise the game will likely become, build settlers/shrines for religion then pump out military units for trolloc wars.

But what do I do with faith once once all my cities are converted, especially if I am not the founder and get no benefit from converting others? Or if my religion is already dominant across the world? Are there units I will be able to buy?

I'm inclined to agree with Illianor here. While I can see the benefit of slightly boosting the founder religions - maybe adding nominal faith-aspects to the non-faith ones, for example, I do worry that it would get too out of hand if we did much more than that.

I will say, though, it is looking to me like it makes little sense for me to go ahead and make a list of Customs at this point. I think it was a good idea to get the pantheons settled, since we didn't really even know what they would be, and obviously we had to get the different Paths, but at this point I'm concerned that we should probably get some more of the game mechanics settled before I jump into these. Since they're kinda like mini-UAs, its possible some of them will affect channeling, diplomacy, or other things that we really haeven't fleshed out enough yet. So, I'm still thinking about them, but that doesn't make sense to me as the next project, IMO.

On that note, it looks like we're getting close to "settling" the LB. I'm in the middle of writing up a summary that I think will help clarify things. I'll post it, and we can tweak it. Once that's settled, I think next topics of priority should be:

1) Science victory
2) Diplomatic Victory
3) Cultural Victory (might not be much to say here)
4) Channeling mechanics (i'll finally dive into this one)

It seems to me once we get at least general principles on all of those, the detailed stuff can begin (customs, specifics, etc.).

Bustling Community and Mining Folk are my preferences. No suggestion for the Landed Nobility. Gentry.

ok. I don't know where my vote comes down with mining folk versus mountain folk. will think on it. either will work. Probably mountain folk

As an aside, I feel like the Stone should either be a Natural Wonder (because it was not built by a civ) or simply a part of Tear's UA and always a part of them. A bonus to their capitols defences and combat strength and maybe providing culture and prestige after some tech unlocks (like India's Mughal Forts).

Well, since it was built during the AoL or during the breaking it might make sense as a natural wonder. But, it also might be good as a Tear-specific thing. That said, there really aren't enough wonders...

When it comes to the Dragon being born in-game, it can be tied to the Prophecies which behave like Great Works, but when you gather a certain amount (e.g. five) you get a 'quest' to either give information about them to White Tower, or to the Dark One, which either gives you faith (WT) or boost from the DO (anti-faith points and sth like money/shadowspawn control etc.).
:

Not sure what to think about this idea, but the Great Works actually doing something specific is somewhat intriguing

OK, so I've had a chance to write out the details of the Last Battle, as far as I can tell. This are of course only the current details - this post will need to be updated and/or reposted as things change. Ideally, this will serve as a reference for future development, so we don't have to dig through the thread to locate these details. Thus, we should update it as things get clarified.

Note: some of these details were hard to find again, and I didn't have the time to reread the last several pages word for word. That means that there are likely some mistakes here - things that have since been vetoed, etc. Please note them, and we'll fix this document.

Additionally, there are some things here that are listed as "undetermined" or otherwise still unsettled - we should figure some of those things out.

Lastly, and then I'll post it in the following post - I am wondering if we should use a sort of inter-thread "flag" system to help in doing this kind of thing. There are some wonderful ideas buried in this thread, and since the posts have been mostly responses and quotes, very few have titled. This makes searching for these gems almost impossible.

Can we create a sort of hashtag or topic signifier that we should put within our posts so we can find the stuff later? You know like #LastBattle or something like that?

Alternatively, the better idea is probably Not to always do that, but to only do it when something is "settled." Like, S3rgeus, say you or somebody else come up with an element or detail that is "decided upon," you could throw in the Flag so whoever it is that needs to look for it 20 pages later might be able to find it.

Maybe there's a better way, but since after doing this "document," I've decided that we probably need something like this, at least for some of the "big topics."

(Original 9/14/2014. Last Updated 6/18/2016).

Last Battle Summary

1 – General Description
2 – Victory Conditions
3 – Gameplay Details
4 - The Trolloc Wars

1 – GENERAL DESCRIPTION
  • When the World Era becomes the Era of the Dragon, shadowspawn forces begin to increase, and the Blight spreads.
  • A certain number of turns after the World Era becomes the Era of the Dragon (15 on Duel, 10 on Tiny, 7 on Small, and 5 on Standard+), players are prompted to choose whether to ally themselves with the Shadow, enter into the Dragon Peace, or remain neutral. This choice determines the player's victory conditions. Once civs have chosen, Alignments are announced for all civs and the LB begins.
  • For details on Alignment, please see the Alignment Summary.
  • All trade routes between players that choose opposite sides are cancelled, and trade units of cancelled routes are immediately returned to their owners for reassignment.
  • If no side wins by a certain date, no civ wins.
  • The Last Battle can be disabled, such that only normal victory conditions are permitted.

2 – VICTORY CONDITIONS
  • For Shadow-allied civs:
    1. There is only one winner from the Shadow forces. This leader is named Nae'blis
    2. All Seals must be destroyed (by Light or Dark forces)
    3. The Dragon Reborn must be destroyed (only possible once all seals have been destroyed, see below)
    4. All original capitals of civilizations that declared for the Light must be controlled by the Shadow. Neutral Capitals are not required.
    5. The winning civ must also win a normal victory (domination, cultural, science, or diplomatic)
  • For Light-allied civs:
    1. The Light forces enter into the Dragon Peace and form a permanent alliance. Victory is a team victory – all normal victory conditions are locked.
    2. All seals must be destroyed (by Light or Dark forces)
    3. The Forces of the Light must "take" Thakan'dar
  • For Neutral civs:
    1. A normal victory (domination, cultural, science, or diplomatic) must be achieved.

4– GAMEPLAY DETAILS
A – Seals
  • Seals are found in Mythic Sites which are revealed upon the knowledge of Rediscovery (Era 7, column 1).
  • The number of Seals will scale to map size.
  • These sites can be investigated by Hunters for the Horn and Blue Ajah Aes Sedai of Tier 2.
  • Rarely, a Mythic Site will contain the Horn of Valere.
  • A 4th-age technology will reveal the locations of the remaining seals.
  • Seals can be stolen from opponent's cities. Eyes and Ears (E&E) must first establish surveillance in a capital city and then must choose the "Search for Seals" mission. This takes an amount of time that is still undetermined, and may vary based on Ideological tenets.
  • The "Discover Seal" mission can have three possible outcomes: The first will reveal a Seal housed in one city, starting with the nearest. Alternatively, it will say that there are no seals present. The second is a lack of information - the E&E are unable to find a seal, and don't know if one is present. The third is that the E&E will be caught and killed. The chances of any of these occurring varies via the same mechanics that affect other espionage.
  • To steal the Seal, the E&E must then travel to their home city, establish surveillance, and initiate the "Steal Seal" mission. This has a guaranteed success, but takes some yet-to-be-finalized number of turns, which will be variable. When this mission is begun, the defending civ will be alerted.
  • When a seal has been successfully stolen, the player chooses a friendly city in which to place it. It and the Eyes and Ears relocate to that city immediately. If the seal was previously "authenticated," that status remains with the Seal and is known to its new owner.
  • The civ in possession of the Seal can "block" a theft by moving the Seal to a friendly city via a special civilian unit called a Sealbearer. It require an amount of hammers greater than some of the faster successful steals, but less than some of the slower. Successfully completing the Sealbearer cancels whatever Seal-related action was occurring in the city (e.g. researching its authenticity, destroying it). The Sealbearer unit can then be moved to another city and expended, which successfully transfers the Seal.
  • If a Sealbearer spends too many turns on the map, its location will be revealed to other civs.
  • If a Seal is successfully moved via Sealbearer, a steal attempt fails, and the E&E must return to the Capital to divine its new location (if it is fact still in the same civ's possession.
  • Beginning in the late-game (either in the EotD or the Last Battle), special researchable techs appear for players/teams (not "sides") that are in possession of Seals. This techs identify whether their particular Seal is authentic or a fake. The length of time this research takes will likely scale by map size. This research will represent a smaller portion of the "Seal Breaking process" than the actual destruction of the Seal.
  • A fake seal disappears upon discovery, and nets the discovering civ +4 happiness
  • A legitimate Seal can be destroyed via National Project. This is meant to be the larger portion of the entire "Seal handling" process.
  • While each Seal's destruction is essential for both Shadow and Light victories, the Dark One's touch on the world strengthens with each destroyed Seal. This results in more numerous Bubbles of Evil and geater numbers of Shadowspawn,]
  • If the Shadowspawn civ captures a city that contains an authentic Seal (whether verified or not), or a Sealbearer unit that carries an authentic Seal, the Seal is automatically destroyed.
B – The Dragon Peace
  • All civs that join the Light side in the Last Battle are entered into a permanent alliance. The possibility of civs being voted out of this alliance was discussed, but it was decided that for now the membership should be permanent.
  • While Light civs are locked out of typical victories, the Dragon Peace sets up a "support network" that allows civs to help one another fend off the forces of the Shadow. Aspects of this include:
    1. typical things associated with Declarations of Friendship in CiV.
    2. shared control of the Dragon Reborn (see below)
    3. Global (team) projects exist that allow civs to funnel hammers into team-wide benefits, such as experience boosts to newly produced units, etc. These projects are: "Scholarly Cooperation" (Research Boost), "Hold Back the Shadow" (extra experience upon unit creation), "Time of Need" (improved gold production), "Festival of Life" (improved culture generation), "Nurturing the Spark" (increased Spark), and "Closing the Ways" (decreased Shadowspawn rate). These Projects are each gated by technology. Civ put hammers into the projects, and when a certain threshold is reached, the bonus is earned for 5 turns.
    4. One-way trade routes exist to allow civs to send gold, hammers, food, science (for Seal research), and perhaps culture. The civ initiating the trade route receives Faith in return.
    5. Civs who "support" the war effort will be rewarded with faith bonuses.
    6. These trade-like mechanics can be disrupted or otherwise plundered by opponents.
    7. When the Last Battle begins, if the Tower remains with the Light, then Shadow civilizations retain a proportion of their Sister units equal to the proportion of Turning objectives that have been completed (randomly selected, up to a maximum of 67%). Their remaining Sisters become Black Ajah Sisters and gain the ability to attack any unit and use Compulsion.
    8. If the Tower Turns to the Shadow, Light civilizations retain only 50% of their Sister units (randomly selected). Shadow civilizations' Sisters all become Black Ajah.
    9. If the Tower remains with the Light, Light civilizations lose Sisters in inverse proportion to the number if Turning objectives that were completed, up to a maximum of 25% (randomly selected). In addition, Light civilizations are given additional Sisters in proportion to their Light leaning. (So slightly Light civs will lose some overall, some very high Light civs may gain overall, despite some loss from Turning progress.)
    10. Any civilization declaring for Neutral loses 50% of its Sister units (randomly selected).
C – The Dragon Reborn
  • The Dragon reborn is born when the first civ enters the Age of the Dragon. This civ will receive a Great Person of their choice,.
  • Before the Last Battle commences, the Dragon will exists primarily as "flavor" for the Alignment Decisions and Edicts of the Era.
  • If the Dragon is destroyed during one of his actions (in spy-like phase or unit-phase), he is temporarily "Defeated." This causes a team-wide permanent happiness penalty for the Light, a cooldown period before he returns, and perhaps another effect.
  • Until the final Seal is destroyed, The Dragon Reborn exists in a "spy-like" state. In this phase, the Dragon is controlled for each turn (or set of turns) by a different Light-team member. The order of these turns is determined by a function of Prestige (most important) and Faith (less important), as well as any special considerations (being the dragon's homeland, diplomacy, etc.). Details on this can be found here.
  • The Dragon is permanently killed when all Light civs have been eliminated (assuming the game isn't already over).
  • The following special actions can be done by the Dragon in his spy-phase. He can do each only once per Turn, with the exception of his basic Attack.
    1. Capture enemy Eyes and Ears in a given city
    2. Convert Darkfriend Citizens back into normal citizens.
    3. Increase global Prestige for the civ.
    4. Attack units that surround a given city, in a manner similar to a bomber-attack in CiV
    5. "Nuke" with balefire, gaining some Shadow Points in the process (see below for details).
    6. Proclaim a Field of Battle, establishing his presence in the city, making him spawn there when he becomes a unit (and overriding the previous spawn-point).
  • The Dragon is in a city for the duration of that player's turn, to enable his possible defeat. When the next player takes control of him, they may move him elsewhere.
  • After the final Seal is in the possession of the Light, or the all Seals have been destroyed, the Dragon reborn will appear in the game as a unit. He spawns next to the city that most recently was the subject of a Proclaimed Field of Battle.
  • The Dragon unit will be a powerful channeler, and will appear next to the "spy" Dragon's current location (if he is currently "destroyed," he will appear next to the capital of the next civ in the Turn Order. His purpose is to take Thakan'dar, which he can attack and capture (triggering a Light Victory once all seals are destroyed). It is still undetermined if the Dragon is allowed "free reign" to do other things during this period, or if he is limited in movement or number of turns.
  • The Dragon can use a Balefire attack that is similar to the sa'angreal attack available to Aes Sedai and Asha'man.
  • Mechanically, the Dragon's Balefire is perhaps most similar to nuclear weapons as they appear in BNW. The attack has equivalent range to the sa'angreal attack (8), but deals massive damage in a single strike. Like the sa'angreal attack, The Dragon's Balefire can strike units, cities, and empty hexes, has the ability to pillage, and creates Unravelled Pattern.
  • Unlike the sa'angreal attack, the Dragon's Balefire deals population damage to cities (6), and destroys cities of population 6 or lower.
  • Using the Balefire attack causes the controlling civ to gain Shadow Points.
  • If the Dragon Reborn kills a Forsaken, he gains the Promotion, "Student of the Forsaken," which provides a Combat Strength bonus against units and cities controlled by the Shadowspawn civ. This bonus will be 15%, increasing by 5% for every subsequent Forsaken slain, to a maximum of 7 (45%).
  • The Dragon reborn disappears when he takes Thakan'dar and there are still Seals left to destroy.
  • When Thakan'dar is taken, it remains in permanent occupation and is not "usable" as a city. It creates Friendly Territory - but that territory is still Blight.
  • If Thakan'dar is retaken by the Shadow, the Dragon is "defeated" and respawns after 5 turns, controlled by the next eligible Light civ.
  • If the Shadow steals back a Seal and the Light loses Thakan'dar, the Dragon is sent back to "spy form,"
  • Shadow players cannot take possession of Thakan'dar. If they capture it, it is Liberated.

D – The Shadow and the Blight

• The Shadowspawn civ will be colored similarly to the Lawless and Dragonsworn, but with a distinct color accent - either dark purple on black or silver on black.
  • Large numbers of shadowspawn will begin spawning in the Blight. These can appear in non-Blight locations as well (via unlocked Waygates, etc.).
  • The kinds of shadowspawn that exist will increase during the Last Battle. The kinds of Shadowspawn that occur throughout the normal flow of the game will be: Trollocs, Myrddraal (in lesser numbers), Draghkar (in lesser numbers), and Jumara (Blight only). During the Trolloc Wars, Darkhounds, Dreadlords, and Ishamael will also appear. During the Last Battle, new units will appear in addition, including Samma N'Sei (Blight only) and the rest of the Forsaken. Additionally, Gray Men will become available to Shadow Players, and the Gholam will make an appearance. Shaidar Haran will be a powerful Myrddraal that appears in the Blight.
  • Shadow civs over a certain Alignment threshold will be able to produce Trollocs, Myrddraal (more Shadow points required), and Draghkar (even more Shadow required). Additionally, they will be gifted various shadowspawn units periodically, at intervals determined in part by their Alignment. Dreadlords cannot be produced, but will rarely be gifted to heavy-Shadow civs (and consume Spark).
  • Thakan'dar is an extremely powerful city in the Blight. In addition to being a spawning point for shadow units (though it does not itself produce anything), it will have powerful defensive capabilities. Thakan'dar takes only minimal damage from non-Dragon units, and is extremely difficult to capture without the use of the Dragon Reborn unit.
  • Shadow civs do not receive any team benefits, and exist in a state of permanent war with one another (even if they choose not to act on it)
  • The Blight will be a improvement or feature, and can exist on any kind of terrain.
  • The Blight, as it does at various points in the game, can advance into a civ's territory. It will destroy improvements, and has very bad tile yields. This is true for all civs, regardless of affiliation. Additionally, shadowspawn may appear on Blight tiles, and units take small amounts of damage when ending their turn on it (can be negated by Promotion. Warders and Aes Sedai automatically have this).
  • Cultural Borders cannot expand into the Blight, nor can the tiles be purchased with Gold.
  • Forts built along the Blightborder (and manned by units) will slow the advancement of the Blight.
  • Bubbles of Evil begin appearing at the start of the Last Battle, and increase in frequency as more Seals are Destroyed. These act similarly to fallout, diminishing yields and harming/killing units. They must be "cleaned up" or disappear after a set number of turns.
  • The strength of the Shadowspawn civ will scale based on how many players have chosen Shadow. The strength of Thakan'dar, the strength of shadowspawn, and the speed of the Blight's growth will all remain unchanged. However, shadowspawn spawning rates and Forsaken spawning rates, will decrease the more Shadow civs there are.
  • The Forsaken have access to the same Balefire attack as the Dragon.

4 - THE TROLLOC WARS

• 75 turns into the game, the The Trolloc Wars will begin.
  • The "Liberty" and "Tradition" policy trees will include one tenet each that upgrades a civ's ability to fight shadowspawn.. Additionally, a Walls-replacement will be available in that era that provides bonuses against Shadowspawn.
  • The Trolloc Wars will last 20-30 turns, which will be decided by random. At that point, Shadowspawn creation rates will return to normal, and the shadowspawn will return to the blight (many will disappear when out of sight).
  • During the Trolloc Wars, huge numbers of Trollocs (accompanied by Myrddraal, Draghkar, and Dreadlords) will pour out of the Blight and attack the civs, regardless of their alignment.
  • Darkhounds will also appear rarely, and Ishamael may appear.
  • As long as there is at least one stedding remaining, Ogier units will appear near the Blight to help fight the Trollocs. They are not bound to any one Stedding. At the termination of the Wars, these extra units disappear.
  • Should the Shadow capture any cities, they will begin Razing them at the end of the Wars.
  • After the Wars end, civs will be rewarded for being Top Performers. This is based entirely on number of shadowspawn killed (coupled with the strength of killed shadowspawn).
  • Rewards for the Top Performers are as follows: First place: GP of your choice. Second Place: 500 faith. Third place: two workers. Additionally, each civ will be given one settler per city lost to the Shadowspawn (even if it is recaptured)

This is all pretty awesome and it looks like it's going great, can't wait to play it! I would so like to help but I have no idea about the LUA, XML and other mod crap difficult stuff. Could you maybe tell us the names of the technologies/wonders/etc and I'll search for appropriate quotes? Or is there any other way I can help?

Awesome summary! It's great to see we've decided on so many mechanics, even just as a part of the Last Battle. It will also be great to have some more focus for my programming work - much easier to work towards a decided spec than trying to design on the fly.

I'll start with my comments on the summary and then go back to the other posts since I was on last week.

1 – GENERAL DESCRIPTION
  • When all civs have reached the Age of the Dragon, the Last Battle commences. There is likely a maxmum number of turns after the first civ reaches the Age of the Dragon that the Battle will start, regardless if all civs have reached it.

I think we went for the 'world era' with this one, right? So the Last Battle starts when half of all civs reach the Age of the Dragon or any one civ reaches the Fourth Age.

2 – LIGHTSIDE VS. DARKSIDE

B – Effects during the Game
  • Player's position on the Scale provides them a modifier or multiplier to their Faith generation. Alternatively, conventional Faith "purchases" may cost darkside players more than they would cost Lightside players.

At a glance I'd say we could both of these and see how that balances out for the Shadow players.

• Some Darkside units and/or features may be able to be purchased with Faith for appropriate civs.

Do we want to use faith for this purchasing mechanic, given that we're penalizing Shadow civs' faith? It seems like the two mechanics are working against each other. I agree we should be able to purchase Shadow-y units as a Shadow civ though. Can we just use Gold? Are there significant drawbacks there?

C – Effects on the Last Battle

• It remains to be seen whether extreme positions on the Scale can indeed "force" the player's hand in this choice. An extremely Light-acting civ choosing to affiliate with the shadow, for example, is potentially problematic.

The choice was going to be colored by the player's 'Brightness,' to mitigate this. So a heavy Light aligned civ that chooses Shadow will face immediate rebellions and vice versa. (Attempts to rebel and join other nearby Light civs)

Their people's degree of unhappiness

For both sides on this - are we thinking the more that their people disagree with their stance (i.e. the more it disagrees with the civ's accrued "Brightness") the greater the penalty to happiness?

• All Light-side capitals must be controlled by the Shadow (Neutral capitals are irrelevant). It is still unknown if Neutral civs controlling the Light capitals can trigger this. If one Light team members controlling each other's capitals (from previous wars) should have no effect.

When you say 'no effect' in the last part - the Shadow players still need to control both, right? Since that's the same way the Domination victory works, it makes sense to keep with that?

• The winning civ must also win a normal victory (domination, cultural, science, or diplomatic)

What do we do if the Shadow civ wins the other victory before the Shadow victory conditions have been met? They win as soon as the Shadow wins the Last Battle? (So their 'allies' best move is to kill the soon-to-be-winner.) Otherwise we have to temporarily lock out the other victory types, which is a bit finicky for things like the culture victory, where you're gradually accruing points over time.

A – Seals
  • Spies placed in cities that hold a Seal have a chance to capture the seal for the spy's home civ. It is still undetermined whether the spy must have previously known the location of the seal, or whether the spy needs to be specifically ordered to go on a Seal-stealing mission (as opposed to doing so automatically like discovering intrigue or stealing a tech). The Dragon can also perform this function while stationed in a city, doing so at a faster rate.

Good point and I'm not sure (about whether the spy needs to be told "steal a Seal"). There are a couple of ways to approach this, I think. One that makes initial sense to me is that the spy should discover whether or not there's a Seal in the city quite quickly after arriving (or immediately upon a Seal being moved into a city that already has a foreign spy). We could either prompt the owner for whether or not the spy should try to steal it or have them just start doing that immediately. (Drawback to the latter: what if you really need the tech they were stealing before? I imagine most of the time they will want the spy to steal the Seal though.)

Stealing the Seal presumably has some probability of failure? Opens up buildings that make stealing Seals more difficult. In fact - one of the drawbacks of this system is that if you can move the Seals faster than spies can steal them then the optimal strategy is to keep them constantly moving - which is very meh. Lots of busywork for the player "just in case" something they can't see is happening. What if Seals could be guaranteed-stolen from a city with no countermeasures? And the buildings that provided Seal stealing defenses were limited in some way? (Strategic resource, national/world wonder, or arbitrary building limit like CiV does with Recycling Center?)

• Beginning in the late-game (either in the AotD or the Last Battle), special researchable techs appear for all players that identify whether a particular Seal is authentic or a fake. It is still undetermined if only the owner of the seal can perform this research (or if their allies can as well).

I think this will cross over with a question you asked in one of your other posts that I've yet to respond to. I've been thinking that the Seals are plane-like units that can only be stationed in cities but that you can rebase them into foreign (allied) cities to give control over to that player. So I figure only the (current) owner of a given Seal can determine whether or not it's fake.

This presents us with another question - how does the player choose which Seal (if they currently own multiple) they are researching? We could go for 'always the one in the capital' but then we focus the war for the Seals (geographically) in a big way. Also, you could end up in annoying positions where your cities' geographical distribution could make getting the Seal to your capital prohibitively difficult.

This is actually something we could use the 'secondary tree' screen idea for. We can 'generate' techs for the player to research based on the current state of the game. So, if you control three Seals, your 'secondary Seal tree' screen will have 3 techs:

• Research Seal in Two Rivers
  • Research Seal in Caemlyn
  • Research Seal in Whitebridge

Where the names tell you the city the Seal is currently located in. Underneath the Seals are identified by a unique ID, so moving the Seal doesn't have to reset progress and can just change the name of the 'tech.' However, do we want to require the Seal to stay in one place in order to research it? I think this makes sense to prevent Seal-hopping to avoid stealing?

• A legitimate Seal can be destroyed via Global Project (contained within the team).

Are we going for Global Project (presumably 'global' to all Light civs)? I'm not hugely attached to the per-Seal Project (more like Manhattan Project), but if it has to be done in a single city like above, then that makes it more of a 'race' with the stealing mechanics - which seems good. It might leave out the 'smaller' Light civs though.

• It is still unclear whether the alliance forms when the LB commences, or a few turns before.

Given that the Last Battle is triggered by player tech progression and that's unpredictable, I think it makes sense to go with "when the Last Battle commences" here.

• It is undetermined if any of these trade-like mechanics can be disrupted or otherwise plundered by opponents.

I'd say founding these using trade units (caravan/cargo ship equivalents) makes a lot of sense. Then it's cool that the Shadow can plunder them - adds to the flavor and gives us some more strategic objectives.

• The White Tower will provide Aes Sedai to civs who participate in the Dragon Peace, in a manner that is still being determined. A civ's degree of "Brightness" will determine how much they receive, or the strength or cost of them. It appears that neutral and shadow civs will be locked out of having Aes Sedai (unless the WT is taken over by the Black Ajah, or elects to remain neutral towards the Dragon Reborn, which is not a mechanic that has been created yet). It is unknown what role the Black Tower will play in this.

Do we want to start addressing the Black Tower? I've been thinking of it as a world wonder for a long time now, but this all probably ties in very closely with the 'how channeling works' discussion.

• After the final Seal is destroyed, the Dragon reborn will appear in the game as a unit. It is undetermined where he will spawn.

So, where shall we have him spawn. My first reaction is either the highest Prestige civ's capital or highest "Brightness" civ's capital. That's hugely geographically variable though (sucks ending up opposite end of the map from Thakan'dar). We could have the Light players vote on it?

• The Dragon unit will be a powerful channeler. His purpose is to take Thakan'dar, which he can attack and capture (triggering a Light Victory). It is still undetermined if the Dragon is allowed "free reign" to do other things during this period, or if he is limited in movement or number of turns.

Once he becomes a unit, I think our capability to 'limit' his movement has been diminished without it being quite strange given how players are used to units working. I agree that it makes sense to focus him in some way. I'll think more on this!

• Large numbers of shadowspawn will begin spawning in the Blight. It is undetermined if these can appear in non-Blight locations as well (via unlocked Waygates, etc.).

I think spawning everywhere through Waygates is monumentally cool. Like having Waygates enable fast traveling (with some risk), but then it comes back to bite you later.

• The kinds of shadowspawn that exist may increase during the Last Battle. Forsaken will appear, and uncommon units such as dreadlords, grey men, gholam, darkhounds, and Samma N'sei (red-veiled Aiel) may appear. It is undetermined whether some of these units will appear during the Trolloc Wars as well.

I figured darkhounds would be one of our default Shadowspawn units? I think they were relatively forward, normal troops in the Shadow's armies? I figure if there were dreadlords in the Trolloc Wars in the books (were there?) then we can do the same and have them stop spawning when the Trolloc Wars end. (Aside: when do the Trolloc Wars end in game?)

• Shadow civs may periodically receive Boons from the Dark One and the forsaken (as is the case earlier in the game as well). The exact form of these Boons is still unknown, but may include gold or other yields, upgrades, units, intelligence (as in espionage), etc.

The Great Lord has deigned to gift you a favor. Shaidar Haran indicates that there is a Seal in Caemlyn.

Something like that?

• It is still undetermined how Shadow civs gain control of Shadowspawn, if indeed they do. This could be tied to the Boons discussed above.

I think it makes a lot of sense for them to do so - and it's also pretty cool. Part of the Boons sounds like a good plan.

• Shadow civs do not (currently) receive any team benefits, and are free to make war with one another.

Are they free to declare war on each other or forced into it? I figured, to engender intra-Shadow conflict, it would make sense to lock them into war with each other. Whether or not they actually decide to attack each other is up to them.

• The Blight, as it does at various points in the game, can recede and advance. It will destroy improvements, and will perhaps shrink a bordering player's territory (new concept). It is undetermined if this is true for all civs, regardless of affiliation

I like using Prestige to make the Blight recede. One of the potential Boons could be bonuses from territory you control that's afflicted by Blight? It would be a bit annoying for a culture Shadow player that they've been repelling the Blight since the early game though. Might we want the effect to scale with "Brightness"? Very Light, high-Prestige civs repel the Blight effectively, whereas very Shadow high-Prestige civs actually cause it to spread? That might be a bit revealing of civs' leaning before the Last Battle kicks off (though not necessarily indicative of their final decision of a side)?

• Bubbles of Evil begin appearing at the start of the Last Battle, and increase in frequency as more Seals are Destroyed. These act similarly to fallout, diminishing yields and harming/killing units. It is undetermined whether they must be "cleaned up" or disappear after a set number of turns.

Flavor wise, it makes sense for them to fade after a time. Mechanically, I'd like the player to interact with them in some way though, so they're not just random occurrences that you have to let "take its course." How about they can be 'cleaned up' but will eventually dissipate on their own if left alone? Prevents people who can't clean them from being stuck with them, but lets the player be proactive to mitigate the penalty.

OK, so I've had a chance to write out the details of the Last Battle, as far as I can tell. This are of course only the current details - this post will need to be updated and/or reposted as things change. Ideally, this will serve as a reference for future development, so we don't have to dig through the thread to locate these details. Thus, we should update it as things get clarified.

Note: some of these details were hard to find again, and I didn't have the time to reread the last several pages word for word. That means that there are likely some mistakes here - things that have since been vetoed, etc. Please note them, and we'll fix this document.

Additionally, there are some things here that are listed as "undetermined" or otherwise still unsettled - we should figure some of those things out.

Lastly, and then I'll post it in the following post - I am wondering if we should use a sort of inter-thread "flag" system to help in doing this kind of thing. There are some wonderful ideas buried in this thread, and since the posts have been mostly responses and quotes, very few have titled. This makes searching for these gems almost impossible.

Can we create a sort of hashtag or topic signifier that we should put within our posts so we can find the stuff later? You know like #LastBattle or something like that?

Alternatively, the better idea is probably Not to always do that, but to only do it when something is "settled." Like, S3rgeus, say you or somebody else come up with an element or detail that is "decided upon," you could throw in the Flag so whoever it is that needs to look for it 20 pages later might be able to find it.

Maybe there's a better way, but since after doing this "document," I've decided that we probably need something like this, at least for some of the "big topics."

I agree that we should have some way of 'finalizing' things. It's difficult to do something like "settled" though - it's difficult to know when everyone feels they've had their say and we don't want to 'lock down' the discussion on a particular before people have had some input. It's probably even more difficult to tag each of our posts (via titles with hashtags or some similar system) though. Let's try out a final "settled" flag. Simple enough and unlikely to come up otherwise, how about "@settled"? (Because hashtags, meh)

And:

I'm inclined to agree with Illianor here. While I can see the benefit of slightly boosting the founder religions - maybe adding nominal faith-aspects to the non-faith ones, for example, I do worry that it would get too out of hand if we did much more than that.

Cool, you guys make good points on this. Let's go with only small upgrades to the founder beliefs. @settled! :D

I think some faith-purchaseable units are definitely in order! A dominant religion across the world on a standard+ map size is very difficult (and requires constant faith expenditure to maintain), but if we're pumping up faith production, you're right that it will become more of an issue.

And:

Well, since it was built during the AoL or during the breaking it might make sense as a natural wonder. But, it also might be good as a Tear-specific thing. That said, there really aren't enough wonders...

I think this is a whole separate conversation (like the Last Battle - this is basically the "how do we choose the wonders" discussion). I think the section I've bolded in counterpoint's post is hugely important. Even if we take all of the 'wonders' that existed in the books but were constructed in the AoL (like the Stone), we still have drastically fewer wonders than base CiV, so I'd be hugely reluctant to sacrifice any of the AoL ones despite the disconnect from flavor. I think we'll already have to include some places/objects that are just "recognizable" to fill out the wonder list, so ideally we'd keep that to a minimum.

Yay, it's great that WoT mod is in development, can't wait to play it!:D
And even size of this thread is becoming quite like one of WoT books :goodjob:

Thank you, it's always great to know that people are excited for the mod!

When it comes to the Dragon being born in-game, it can be tied to the Prophecies which behave like Great Works, but when you gather a certain amount (e.g. five) you get a 'quest' to either give information about them to White Tower, or to the Dark One, which either gives you faith (WT) or boost from the DO (anti-faith points and sth like money/shadowspawn control etc.). Getting these would be either by archeologist-like units, or great people, (or both) depending on the balance between tall and wide civs.

Like counterpoint, I'm also intrigued by the notion of having specific Great Works do specific things, but it's something we'd have to be careful with. I think we have a system in mind for how the Dragon is born and you've suggested the exact kind of thing below!

When it comes to where Rand is born, IMO it depends on how much does player 'get' from the Dragon being born on territory under his control. If Rand just wanders as he wants without control, it can be random, and if not it can depend on what we want to reward:
science - first to get to Age of the Dragon
culture/prestige - one with most of it at the time
expansion - one with Dragonmount on his territory
or to the most light-leaning civ.

I've bolded the entry that it looks like we've decided on. :)

In my opinion Dragon shouldn't be controlled before The Last Battle, and so he would be born in random civ, wandering to various cities, causing very small bonuses or damaging a little place where he is, as Ta'veren.

The only potential problem I see here is that if we move randomly or even significantly out of the player's control, he might end up deep in Shadow territory, which causes the Light players to start the Last Battle at a potentially big disadvantage. I;m fine with that happening due to deliberate Shadow civ maneuvering (that's good strategy) but based on random chance can be very frustrating for the player.

Ah, the sword forms... I must confess that I never found them particularly compelling in WoT. To me, it often seemed like a way for RJ to do a "Battle Scene"... without actually telling us anything about what was actually happening... ("He struck with A Hen Lays an Egg, but Lan was ready with The Weasel Sips Tea. Luckily, Rand surprised everybody with The Tortoise and the Hare. My god! Not The Tortoise and the Hare!") I'm being facetious of course, but truthfully part of what made the super long battles of aMoL actually work is that Sanderson decided to, you know, use regular prose to describe a battle.

All that said, and putting aside my biases, I think this flavor is a bit too detailed to incorporate into the game in any real meaningful way. As far as Blademasters go (probably the more elegant name than Heron Swordsman) - I think they make the most sense as either a 1)promotion for melee units, 2) a UU for some civ (not sure which would make sense), or 3) a mid-late game melee unit.

I'm not particularly drawn to the sword forms popping up, except perhaps as random flavor text periodically - they *could* be the names of promotions, but I'm not sure fans really know what any of them actually are, except for maybe "Sheathing the Sword" (which would make for an interesting one...).

Somehow I think I missed replying to this part of calavente's post the first time through. I definitely remember reading it. I agree on "Blademaster" as being a good name for the unit, since that's what they're referred to as in the books. I think the sword forms make good promotions - rather like the Zulu Impi's unique promotions. The beauty of readers not knowing the exact mechanics of most of the forms is that we can use flavorful bonuses that go with the name, which probably makes our lives easier.

OK, good. I like this. I like the idea of a secondary area... maybe doesn't need to be a full tree. But somehow having these techs be "off" the normal tree makes aesthetic sense.

Would we consider there being *other* LB-only lightside techs one could research? Either as a part of victory conditions or merely as options boosts to your forces? I don't know what they would be, but if you wanted a full "tree" there that's an option..... not sure it's worth making this thing more complicated though.

Based on what I discussed above, I think having the Seals on a separate "Seals tree" page makes a lot of sense. Like you've said at the end here, I think Last Battle-exclusive techs is complicating that victory condition a bit too much.

So, no to trading.. but, how do we get the seals int he hands of our researchin' civs?

I think I answered this above, but I say we lift the mechanic from one we discussed when talking about the Dragon - rebasing into foreign cities grants control of the rebased "unit" to the city's owner.

Also, just to be clear, you expect there to still be "regular" techs left to research at this point right (unless the game has a player super far ahead in science)? Like, civs would either research the seal OR research Dragons or something? Is there an equivalent to "Future Tech" (considering score is meaningless in the LB, apparently)?

Yes, I expect there to still be techs left on the main tree at this point in the game (almost all of the time). I think it makes sense to still end the tree with a "Future Tech"-like thing, just in case someone is doing extraordinarily well. Each time you finished Future Tech it gives you some yield bonuses, so we can do something similar.

I did do one archipelago game as polynesia, but then I felt guilty later. I kind of dominated (via culture), and it felt in retrospect like the equivalent of starting the game with the lead... Fine to happen randomly, but choosing to it I felt kinda dirty.

My current game is actually Polynesia on Archipelago, but I don't feel so bad because it's my first try at Emperor difficulty. It's been a challenge and I'm not sure if I'll win, but it's still a race!

OK. Yes, it does seem that we should keep the era and tech tree technically independent - but try to get them to roughly sync through other means (as in civ).

Makes me wonder, kinda, what the point of Era in base civ is. obviously, some social policies unlock (but this could just as easily be done via researching a tech), adn the world congress changes, but otherwise it is odd to have a civ-specific era, once you really think about it.

I think it's kind of the other way around. Eras have always been civ-specific, as far as I know. It was only when managing the World Congress and its necessity to be global that Firaxis introduced the concept of a "global era." It is a bit strange, because we tend to associate "times" with specific eras in actual history, but CiV doesn't do that.

For the record, I don't like the one-calendar idea that much, but I will say I don't quite get why Farede would be superior to AB if we did choose it. The nice thing about AB as The One is that we know 100% that it will start correct - 1 AB - while Farede's "year 1" could be in any number of eras. Not a big deal, but more likely to break immersion.

Same here, I'm not a big fan of the single calendar approach either, but it's worth fleshing out both to see which works better. Farede becomes superior once we get to the end of the game. AB0 doesn't provide us with any mechanism to divide time into smaller chunks than a year. (AB2998 on turn 350, and still AB2998 on turn 351) The months ("Taisham," "Jumara," etc) are part of the Farede calendar. We could use them in conjunction with ABXXXX, but then we've invented that calendar, when there is already one that satisfies what we want. I agree that the AB calendar will tend to be more correct in a given game, but I don't think that's a drawback to the Farede calendar, for the reasons I outlined before.

If I'm understanding the fourth age correctly - a necessary placeholder for the tech-tree purposes - as basically encompassing the LB kind of period, shouldn't it be way fewer years than that? Weren't we talking about a turn being a week, or a month max? So wouldn't it be a few years long?

No, this is where the relationship between time, eras, and tech is really confusing. The Fourth Age represents the progress of technology in the 20 years after the Last Battle. (In-universe, the Fourth Age starts when the Last Battle is won.) This is analogous to the technologies at the end of the tech tree in base CiV that haven't been invented/refined yet (i.e. Nuclear Fusion).

Any given civilization that researches all of the techs in the Fourth Age is "getting ahead of time" by being good at science. In the same way you can research Biology in 1300AD in CiV - this player has researched post-LB techs before the LB is over.

We can still compress time on the calendar however we like to make the Last Battle take an "amount of time" (i.e. number of turns) that is appropriate. The disconnect here is related to the whole "eras are individual to civs" aspects from above.

Yeah, sure. I will say, though, I'm still not totally sold on the name. These eras are sparked by tech, right? I know we aren't naming them to reflect that, but this one seems to ignore the civs themselves and focus on other stuff happening in the world. I dunno, not in love. I could live with it. It *sounds* cool - just not sure it fits.

True, we're using names that are more inspired by natural phenomena, mostly because we don't have reliable information/classifications for the progression of technology in the WoT universe.

I think yo are confusing the Aiel War with another war. The Aiel war happens either at the very end of the Encroaching Blight era, or the very beginning of the AotD. Remember, Tam finds Rand as a baby while the Aiel are all heading back into the waste. That war ended in 978 NE.

I'm really trying to figure out which war you might be referring to. Not the whitecloak war, as that ones in era 6 (957). The previous war on the timeline appears to some one between cairhien and andor in 671.

Woops, very true, I think it was the Aiel clan feud between the Taardad and the Nakai that I mixed this up with. (I read the words Aiel and war and ran with it.)

While this particularly spread of time compression seems reasonable, I think the problem is we're perhaps ending up with a lot of "nothing going on" eras in the NE. I don't know if this is avoidable, but it's worth mentioning.

I definitely see what you mean and it's an issue. Will discuss more below.

So, it does feel quite weird to me, and kind of off-putting, to have FY start up int he middle of an era. I know we can't make it perfect, but according to these, even a "perfectly timed" game would have an era that spans two wholly different.... eras.

I think a clear distinction we should make here is that "calendars" and "eras" aren't the same. Colloquial use could use the word "era" to refer to the three primary divisions in the WoT timeline, but we've got a more precisely defined usage of "era" that precludes that colloquial usage.

In a perfectly timed game, the Trolloc Wars would end on exactly turn 50 (number subject to debate) when the calendar changes to FY1. Each civ will be in whatever era it has reached based on tech - those will never all be the same. "World era" isn't directly visible to any player (there's no "It is currently globally the Era of Freedom" anywhere - they only see the effects which we've triggered by tracking "world era" behind the scenes) so there's no immersion break there.

To me, it seems somewhat for the post-hawkwing time to be the beginning of an era. The whole world changed. There was an epic war. Seanchan was colonized. The empire collapsed. It just needs it. True, the dawn of FY 1feels important, but to me the calendar change is the least of the issues. Of course, Hawkwing himself is a short period. I could see his empire either representing the End of the previous era, or theoretically the *beginning* of the later era than includes the Conquest and such (this is probably less good, though, as the War of the hundred years is a big blob in the middle of it)

I know you may feel that I'm tying myself too close to history as represented in WoT, and that such is not very civ-friendly. But, I ask again what else is the point of the Eras, except to express a sentiment about the place in that presumed history we are in? We can't base it totally on tech, because WoT doesn't have as wide a range of techs throughout its history as Earth does.

In light of this issue, and the previously mentioned somewhat-boring periods in the NE, I definitely think we should try to figure out a way to include two sections of AB. I do think the TW should occur mid-2nd era at the earliest - probably with the 3rd era being a better place, gameplay-wise. I definitely don't love the flavor of half the civs being in the Era of Freedom before the wars even start.... Definitely makes the EoF make more sense as Era 3.

IS there a way to salvage the "Era of Nations" as proposed? How can we make it work with still some sort of slowing time compression?

To me, here are the priorities, for me, at least:

1) The TW doesn't start to early. Ideally, ithappens at the end of an era, or, alternatively, is somewhat representative of an era in and of itself (taking long enough to essentially dominant the era for many civs).
2) Hawkwing needs to be at the end of or the start of an era.
3) counterintuitive naming situations (Freedom pre-TW, for example) would be avoided for most civs in "typical" games. Note that I'm speaking more of eras than of calendars, as that convo has already been tackled as much as possible and I'm mostly letting go of that.

I would propose a new set of dates and names, but I'd like to see what your thoughts on all of this is first.

I've bolded part of this that is very important and definitely a root of a lot of our problems. We need to associate eras with specific events or characteristics of periods of time in the WoT universe, due to the lack of information about scientific progression and classification in WoT. But because of the way CiV manages techs, this creates strange situations where a given civ can be "out of its era."

I didn't mention it last time, but I really like "Era of Nations" as a name. The combination of time compression and the lack of flavorful era names in the time approximately 700-150 years before the events of the WoT books is problematic, as you've pointed out above. I'm not really sure what we should do here, because I think there are really big issues with both systems. Do you already have a set of eras and corresponding in-universe times in mind? I think working in using the "Era of Nations" into this kind of CiV-like compression could be done if we fudge the timings, but that has a lot of knock-on considerations in our favorite set of competing calendar systems.

The other way of approaching this that wouldn't interfere with the calendars would be to move away from CiV's progressively compressing "time" for eras. We could have the in-universe time that each era maps to (note: not the same as which calendar we are using for any given turn) compress arbitrarily to suit the well-defined times in WoT history. Then for the calendars we just choose turn numbers for the calendar thresholds (Ab -> FY) that roughly correspond to how long it takes to research all of the techs before that "moment in history." (Again, that isn't enforced in game, it's just balanced that it will tend to work out that way.)

I'm also in favor of the Era of Freedom (or whatever we call it eventually - it's the one after the Trolloc Wars) being the third era. So maybe the "flexible" compression is the way to go.

Again, I know the exact date is impossible, but in an *ideal* game, I'd like the Trolloc wars to be over when civs reach the FYs.

I think this really depends on how you think about it. I see it as the "world" reaching the FYs, independent of its occupants. The individual civs reach the "Era of Freedom," which is different. Clearly inspired so that, on our part, we're not fabricating as much material, but not actually linked.

Well, couldn't we "Maya" it, though? You're right that the "real" dates are a guid signpost, but those could also be visible. Like, it go say "FY 23 (2895 AB)"

We could, but it removes a big part of how games are ranked by "when" someone won. And the ABXXXX difficulties with dividing years I mentioned above.

Rght. But you can't see what everybody else is contributing, right? Or can you? If you can't, then this might still be an issue.

I figure the Light civs can see the total going towards a given project, but not the breakdown of who's giving how much? That seems like a fair trade-off without giving away internal information to other civs, while also letting players do focus-managing to optimize for hammers.

Wow. I think I have the latest patch.... I have absolutely never seen this.

You need to have crazy tourism over them - World Ideology on your side also really helps - it only happens when they get to like -60 happiness.

Oh, wow.That's a lot of Stedding! Is it kinda boring having the CSs only be steddings? I liked having Shadar Logoth in the picture, if only just as flavor. I know far madding and all that gets to be a bit much, but I'm not sure how else we'd use them, sinc ethey likely won't be full civs.

I think I agree with you here - it's quite boring to have just Stedding for CSes, but I figured I should float the idea in case someone thought highly of it and developed it in a way I didn't expect. Maybe after some of the important CSes have become full civs post-release this might be possible. Either way, we can come back to it.

So, then, you'd get the prestige bonus just for the turn(s) he's there? Is that likely to make an impact really? Would it be comparable to a mini concert tour or something?

Concert tour-like-thing, I'd say. You'd need to direct it *at* another civ though, because Tourism/Prestige is accrued against each opponent individually.

Ugh, this one seems kinda hairy. Maybe it's simpler just to effect yields. Like have one yield go up 1 or 2, and another go down by the same. Or make it random (1-4 up and 1-4 down) , so some turns things went well, and some went poorly. Anything more complicated seems.... complicated.

Yeah, I'm totally cool with this. Shall we go for @settled?

What I mean is, what's the functional difference between having Rand use the BaleNuke, versus just attacking bad guys (another move we said he has)?

The same kind of difference as a bomber vs nuclear bomb, I'd say. Nukes have a blast radius, so you usually don't want to use it if it takes out your guys too. And you very often don't want to use it on your own territory. Plus with a cooldown on the nuke ability, it makes sense to still be able to attack with him in between.

Well, what if it wasn't an actual number they saw? Instead, they saw a flavorful word that described the state of their civilization. So, while a leader may not be deliberately doing things that they perceive as evil, their civ is described as being more corrupted.

This sounds good until we have specific thresholds on things and players want to optimize their strategies for them. Then again, it's "invisible" values that manipulate stats that have me playing Pokemon for endless hours. That's not really CiV-y though. I like the flavorful word from an immersion perspective. We can try both approaches here extremely easily though. The number will exist underneath regardless - it's just whether we present it to the player or give them a "range qualifier" in flavored text, which is a very quick swap-out change.

Speaking of which, what should we call the "brightness" scale - it should not be called that! Alignment is an option, though it feels a bit stale.

Yes, definitely, "Brightness" is kind of ridiculous. Agreed that Alignment works, but is a bit soulless.

I think we should probably go in a different direction here - these all do sound like social policies. The point isn't that you have nobles, but that those nobles' estates help in generating culture.. hmmmm... In Civ, Oral Tradition is, of course, likely a reference to slave culture and such. I'm inclined to try to pull away from the Noble thing.

Maybe this isn't so much better, but we could rip off of Oral Tradition and go with "Keepers of History" or something like this. Not specific to plantations, but I think it works int he same way oral tradition does.

If we really try to go for the noble thing..... Id like it to feel less governmental and social-policy-esque.

Keepers of History works for me, I think.

I will say, though, it is looking to me like it makes little sense for me to go ahead and make a list of Customs at this point. I think it was a good idea to get the pantheons settled, since we didn't really even know what they would be, and obviously we had to get the different Paths, but at this point I'm concerned that we should probably get some more of the game mechanics settled before I jump into these. Since they're kinda like mini-UAs, its possible some of them will affect channeling, diplomacy, or other things that we really haeven't fleshed out enough yet. So, I'm still thinking about them, but that doesn't make sense to me as the next project, IMO.

This makes a lot of sense. Sounds like a good plan!

On that note, it looks like we're getting close to "settling" the LB. I'm in the middle of writing up a summary that I think will help clarify things. I'll post it, and we can tweak it. Once that's settled, I think next topics of priority should be:

1) Science victory
2) Diplomatic Victory
3) Cultural Victory (might not be much to say here)
4) Channeling mechanics (i'll finally dive into this one)

It seems to me once we get at least general principles on all of those, the detailed stuff can begin (customs, specifics, etc.).

Ah, the science victory. This will be fun. I'll start planning for both too. Might it be worth discussing channeling a bit before expanding on what we've said so far on the diplo victory? Given that they're (certainly?) closely related.

This is all pretty awesome and it looks like it's going great, can't wait to play it! I would so like to help but I have no idea about the LUA, XML and other mod crap difficult stuff. Could you maybe tell us the names of the technologies/wonders/etc and I'll search for appropriate quotes? Or is there any other way I can help?

Always glad to see another fan on here! Thanks for the support! Help with quotes would be great actually, but I don't think we're at that stage quite yet - the techs and wonders are likely to change when we discuss them in the (hopefully near) future. Generally recognizable quotes are always good though - I've done a bit of Googling about this and a lot of the same ones come up when people are asked for favorites (Kneel or be knelt; Fear me, Shadow. Fear me and know; things like that).

And of course ideas on any of the topics we're discussing are always welcome!

I had a little bit of time during a break, so I'm making the requested changes to the doc, and commenting on a few unresolved points.

[note, in your quote-replies, please try to keep my "I had said"s in there - I'm using them to help me figure out which lines will need to be replaced once we settle the topic.

I had said "Some Darkside units and/or features may be able to be purchased with Faith for appropriate civs."
Do we want to use faith for this purchasing mechanic, given that we're penalizing Shadow civs' faith? It seems like the two mechanics are working against each other. I agree we should be able to purchase Shadow-y units as a Shadow civ though. Can we just use Gold? Are there significant drawbacks there?

I see what you mean there. Certainly I do like the faith modifier based on your brightness - still need a term for this that isn't facetious! With that in mind, I don't think making things more expensive is necessary (assuming that modifier is significant)

It's hard to say how this would all work in balance until we actually knew what units/buildings we're speaking of - is this how they build shadowspawn? darkfriend spies? I can't think of much else we'd really be talking about, and if it is those things, I don't think Faith makes much sense. whatever system we use to dole those out (Boons,e tc.), it is probably simplest if Faith isn't involved in it.

One interesting note after I've thought about it: say you have a super Light civ that decides to join Shadow. Obviously you'd be getting happiness penalties, but would you still maintain your high Faith output? Or would that diminish because you have gone shadow? Maybe this is fine, since most of the units you'll be able to build are faith-spreading (missionaries, etc.), shadow killing (whitecloaks, which would perhaps be less useful to you), and GPs (which get expensive quick). Maybe this alone is a reason not to have "dark" faith units (to prevent this kind of weird loophole). tldr: maybe Faith units should be, by design, more useful to light players.

I had said: Their people's degree of unhappiness
For both sides on this - are we thinking the more that their people disagree with their stance (i.e. the more it disagrees with the civ's accrued "Brightness") the greater the penalty to happiness?

This one I'm a bit torn on. One the one hand, what you are saying makes sense, especially if you have a "good civ" and you go bad. But, the thing is, remember, I've been considering that there aren't "bad civs." Your civ's government gets corrupted, taken over, whatever. I have trouble with the idea that "your people are unhappy that you aren't trying to destroy the world!"

The problem is, by the same token, a dark civ is more likely to be "tolerated" by people who are "used to" their shenanigans. So this makes sense. But I still come away feeling like a "super evil" civ wouldn't be more happy than a "morally conflicted" civ.

I don't know, how should we resolve this"?

When you say 'no effect' in the last part - the Shadow players still need to control both, right? Since that's the same way the Domination victory works, it makes sense to keep with that?

I will clarify this. What I mean is that such situations wouldn't count towards the shadow victory. If I take your capital and you take mine 500 years ago, and we are both on the same team, neither of us has their original capital (which would help somebody else win Dom victory). This should not count towards the SHADOW-part of a shadow victory, as the capitals are still "light controlled" (that said, they would theoretically count towards somebody's dom victory still).

What do we do if the Shadow civ wins the other victory before the Shadow victory conditions have been met? They win as soon as the Shadow wins the Last Battle? (So their 'allies' best move is to kill the soon-to-be-winner.) Otherwise we have to temporarily lock out the other victory types, which is a bit finicky for things like the culture victory, where you're gradually accruing points over time.

I think, yes, they wouldn't win until all conditions were met. I'm not sure how else to do this. And yes, his "allies" would try to kill him - isn't this what you were hoping would happen? I don't think we'd notify the world though (not any more than we notify the world of their incremental progress).

I had said: "Spies placed in cities that hold a Seal have a chance to capture the seal for the spy's home civ. It is still undetermined whether the spy must have previously known the location of the seal, or whether the spy needs to be specifically ordered to go on a Seal-stealing mission (as opposed to doing so automatically like discovering intrigue or stealing a tech). The Dragon can also perform this function while stationed in a city, doing so at a faster rate."
Good point and I'm not sure (about whether the spy needs to be told "steal a Seal"). There are a couple of ways to approach this, I think. One that makes initial sense to me is that the spy should discover whether or not there's a Seal in the city quite quickly after arriving (or immediately upon a Seal being moved into a city that already has a foreign spy). We could either prompt the owner for whether or not the spy should try to steal it or have them just start doing that immediately. (Drawback to the latter: what if you really need the tech they were stealing before? I imagine most of the time they will want the spy to steal the Seal though.)

Stealing the Seal presumably has some probability of failure? Opens up buildings that make stealing Seals more difficult. In fact - one of the drawbacks of this system is that if you can move the Seals faster than spies can steal them then the optimal strategy is to keep them constantly moving - which is very meh. Lots of busywork for the player "just in case" something they can't see is happening. What if Seals could be guaranteed-stolen from a city with no countermeasures? And the buildings that provided Seal stealing defenses were limited in some way? (Strategic resource, national/world wonder, or arbitrary building limit like CiV does with Recycling Center?)

All excellent thoughts. I think, sure, the Seal's location would be discovered by a spy more or less automatically, or some nominal amount of time later (next turn, two turns, etc.). Also, yes, I think in order to keep spies from being one-man-wrecking crew, they should probably do either tech or Seal (though both would still yield "intelligence"). I would say give the civ the choice.

The point about moving seals around is great, That said, I think it's pretty easily solvable - the spy knows where it is sent. If we have the Seal-transit time be no faster than spy transit time, and make the spy's progress towards its theft not slow down (meaning if you move it when they had one turn left, they'd still have one turn left), the Seal dance wouldn't be a viable strategy. If you don't like that idea, what we could do instead is make the "transit" time very vulnerable for the seal - maybe the spy doesn't know the destination, but there's a much higher probability that the spy will catch the seal before it even arrives. Thus, moving cities is not something to do haphazardly.

I don't think it's necessary to have anti-steal-seal buildings - I'd say the "constabulary replacement" would do this as well. But yes, it shouldn't be guaranteed, IMO. I think your spies should fail. During the LB, there's good and evil, no more "oh sorry I was spying on you" BS. spies hunting seals, spies hunting those spies. spies hunting the dragon, etc.

I had said: "Beginning in the late-game (either in the AotD or the Last Battle), special researchable techs appear for all players that identify whether a particular Seal is authentic or a fake. It is still undetermined if only the owner of the seal can perform this research (or if their allies can as well)."
I think this will cross over with a question you asked in one of your other posts that I've yet to respond to. I've been thinking that the Seals are plane-like units that can only be stationed in cities but that you can rebase them into foreign (allied) cities to give control over to that player. So I figure only the (current) owner of a given Seal can determine whether or not it's fake.

This presents us with another question - how does the player choose which Seal (if they currently own multiple) they are researching? We could go for 'always the one in the capital' but then we focus the war for the Seals (geographically) in a big way. Also, you could end up in annoying positions where your cities' geographical distribution could make getting the Seal to your capital prohibitively difficult.

This is actually something we could use the 'secondary tree' screen idea for. We can 'generate' techs for the player to research based on the current state of the game. So, if you control three Seals, your 'secondary Seal tree' screen will have 3 techs:

• Research Seal in Two Rivers
  • Research Seal in Caemlyn
  • Research Seal in Whitebridge

Where the names tell you the city the Seal is currently located in. Underneath the Seals are identified by a unique ID, so moving the Seal doesn't have to reset progress and can just change the name of the 'tech.' However, do we want to require the Seal to stay in one place in order to research it? I think this makes sense to prevent Seal-hopping to avoid stealing?

Definitely prefer your "secondary tree" idea to the capital-only limit.

And yes, I think keeping your seal in one place seems to have synergy well with my proposal above regarding seal-hopping as an undesirable thing, and limiting the research to one civ definitely reinforces the idea of civs donating their science to that civ to pull it off sooner.

I had said: "A legitimate Seal can be destroyed via Global Project (contained within the team)."
Are we going for Global Project (presumably 'global' to all Light civs)? I'm not hugely attached to the per-Seal Project (more like Manhattan Project), but if it has to be done in a single city like above, then that makes it more of a 'race' with the stealing mechanics - which seems good. It might leave out the 'smaller' Light civs though.

Oooh, now I'm actually not so sure whether this should be "global" or single-city production. I'll defer toyour judgement - make a decision and we'll go with that for now.

Do we want to start addressing the Black Tower? I've been thinking of it as a world wonder for a long time now, but this all probably ties in very closely with the 'how channeling works' discussion.

yeah, very shortly i'll write an epic novel: "Counterpoint's Thoughts on Channeling, or: There and Back again" that will try to figure something out here.

I had said: "After the final Seal is destroyed, the Dragon reborn will appear in the game as a unit. It is undetermined where he will spawn." and "The Dragon unit will be a powerful channeler. His purpose is to take Thakan'dar, which he can attack and capture (triggering a Light Victory). It is still undetermined if the Dragon is allowed "free reign" to do other things during this period, or if he is limited in movement or number of turns."
So, where shall we have him spawn. My first reaction is either the highest Prestige civ's capital or highest "Brightness" civ's capital. That's hugely geographically variable though (sucks ending up opposite end of the map from Thakan'dar). We could have the Light players vote on it?

Once he becomes a unit, I think our capability to 'limit' his movement has been diminished without it being quite strange given how players are used to units working. I agree that it makes sense to focus him in some way. I'll think more on this!

Both of these are interrelated, IMO. Personally, I'm starting to think he needs a turn limit or something - if not technically, at least practically. The thing is, Rand's whole deal in the last book or two was the element of surprise. Demandred literally had no idea he was in Thakan'dar, instead thinking Mat was him and wasting his resources on this.
Maybe the Dragon can only be around for 10-20 turns or something, and if so, either "goes into hiding", disappearing for a few turns, and then respawning again, or (less cheap), he is "pinpointed" by the DO, and a huge amount of forsaken spawn next to him, essentially killing him. This practically prevents the light civs from going on a kill-all-the-shadow-capital rampage when he spawns - unless they're willing to get him killed in the process, or they can be *fast* about it.

Also, he probably needs to spawn in a somewhat unpredictable location, so shadow civs don't just camp out in front of the appropriate city.

I figured darkhounds would be one of our default Shadowspawn units? I think they were relatively forward, normal troops in the Shadow's armies? I figure if there were dreadlords in the Trolloc Wars in the books (were there?) then we can do the same and have them stop spawning when the Trolloc Wars end. (Aside: when do the Trolloc Wars end in game?)

Following the books, Darkhounds, like gholam, are too powerful to be regular shadowspawn forces. They essentially can't be killed. Balefire, and other special things kill them, but it's more or less your death if you face them. Remember in the Thakan'dar battle, all the wolves were fighting them, and dying, because they had no way of possibly hurting them - but they fought anyways because they hated shadowbrothers so much. I think they were used in the trolloc wars though. they're pretty rare - I say we have them show up and raid a city or something, then wander off. Or, at least make them very powerfull.

on that note - do the wolves join the party in the LB? The ogier? Wolves, I know, were mentioned as a mechanic for Wolfborther GPs, which I still like. But the only sissue with this is it might be hard to believe if a dark-side wolfbrother existed - would his wolves still fight for him? Probably fine.

The Great Lord has deigned to gift you a favor. Shaidar Haran indicates that there is a Seal in Caemlyn.

Something like that?

Yeah! Though I think some variety to them would be cool, too. Gifts of gold, units, etc.

I had said: "Shadow civs do not (currently) receive any team benefits, and are free to make war with one another."
Are they free to declare war on each other or forced into it? I figured, to engender intra-Shadow conflict, it would make sense to lock them into war with each other. Whether or not they actually decide to attack each other is up to them.

hmmm... do you think i would matter? I suppose it would make working together so amazingly tense. Like, you're on a joint raid and you just aren't sure if they'll attack you. An actual declaration of war would telegraph that move too might, right? By being at war, even when you're hoping for peace, it's epicly tense. Sold.

I do wonder, though, doesn't being at war cause some other consequences? Like penalties to diplo and such? Is that fair? Should some of those other things be mitigated here in some other way? Maybe it doesn't matter, since they're all already at war with the Light civs anyways. Interesting how everybody's peace-time bonuses (way of the leaf customs, etc.) disappear during the LB (assuming there actually are civs who have adopted the opposite side) - should be balanced to accommodate that.

Is it possible to make a temporary peace treaty - or is it war all the time? Probably it is (as it is between light and shadow civs).

Also, I do think they should have to formally declcare war on neutral civs.

I had said: "The Blight, as it does at various points in the game, can recede and advance. It will destroy improvements, and will perhaps shrink a bordering player's territory (new concept). It is undetermined if this is true for all civs, regardless of affiliation"
I like using Prestige to make the Blight recede. One of the potential Boons could be bonuses from territory you control that's afflicted by Blight? It would be a bit annoying for a culture Shadow player that they've been repelling the Blight since the early game though. Might we want the effect to scale with "Brightness"? Very Light, high-Prestige civs repel the Blight effectively, whereas very Shadow high-Prestige civs actually cause it to spread? That might be a bit revealing of civs' leaning before the Last Battle kicks off (though not necessarily indicative of their final decision of a side)?

OK, so you feel it should be prestige, and not culture? Culture might make more sense, as this is generated throughout the game, is billed as "cultural defense," and already has to do with teritory.

Yeah, i think either shado-civ boons that help offset this, OR just have it be simply that shadowspawn units move quickly or heal in the blight, and then you might have an automatic offset. The truth is, it really does blow to have your people live by the blight - we shouldn't mitigate this. There's a reason the borderlanders are all super pro-light.

I don't think your brightness should affect how it spreads - its more your civs ability to claim the ground and maintain its influence/control.

I agree that we should have some way of 'finalizing' things. It's difficult to do something like "settled" though - it's difficult to know when everyone feels they've had their say and we don't want to 'lock down' the discussion on a particular before people have had some input. It's probably even more difficult to tag each of our posts (via titles with hashtags or some similar system) though. Let's try out a final "settled" flag. Simple enough and unlikely to come up otherwise, how about "@settled"? (Because hashtags, meh)

Ok, agreed. Obviously nothing is ever settled, but what @settled would mean is that this idea can be "put to paper" if some way.

I know we shouldnt flag each post, but I do think once something is @settled, we might benefit from putting a second flag to indicate what it is. So we wouldn't have to flip through all the @settled LB stuff just to find the one @settled @greatpeople post. Right?

OK. That's where I stop for now. I wanted to address the "document" stuff now, but I'll have to wait to respond to your other comments.

BoE: If bubbles of evil appear as radiation pockets that pillage the tile they appear on. This could enable Player interaction by enabling them to repair the tile, but its still being affected by the bubble for X number of turns.

Seals: Could the location of a seal be intrigue that a spy could find? It can randomly determine where a seal is from any city of the civ that the spy is currently in a city of?

Blight: I think prestige is a weird way of pushing back the blight. "Hey look at all these nice paintings I have, pushing back the blight." Maybe if it is an improvement you need to send a worker to fix it (like chopping down a jungle), but it just takes a long time, and being near the blight you need to defend the worker from shadowspawn units spawning. On that note I think it would be good if shadowspawn can appear on any blight tile, even if it is being observed (unlike the barb camps in in base civ). This means that the blight is always dangerous, and you cant just plant some increased sight scouts about to prevent shadowspawn appearing.

Last Battle: Will shadow AIs handle the war between them well? Can they prioritise the light civs? Or will they potentially just get stuck fighting each a lot of the time and just get mopped up by the united Light Civs. Especially if only shadow civs are present on the one continent.

Once the LB breaks out, the war declarations will break any trade routes between Light and Shadown civs. One benefit could then be that trade routes between two light civs give +2 gold for each side (like the Freedom tenant). This would then mean that rading with each other was more beneficial (perhap there are ways of getting more trade routes to become a trade empire? Wonders, or social policies?)

Brightness: Shine. Luster. Brilliance. Illumination. Luminosity. Lux. Radiance (I think this is beast)

Rand: I feel like the nuke does damage (say 30-50) across a large area (7 hexes was my original thoughts) with a cooldown, but that attacking was quicker and single target for more damage. Powerful single target attack, comparatively weaker AoE effect.

Faith buying: I like the faith buying stuff during the LB, it feels better than just saving to buy Great People. I feel like they should be strong, but can be taken by 2-3 ordinary units, again this is to mitigate the effects of a wide civs higher faith output, though this might be balanced by a shadow's reduced faith output.

Calendar: Change what is shown based on world era?

Cool, you guys make good points on this. Let's go with only small upgrades to the founder beliefs. @settled! :D

Alright. Well, lets.... table that topic for now, then!

I think some faith-purchaseable units are definitely in order! A dominant religion across the world on a standard+ map size is very difficult (and requires constant faith expenditure to maintain), but if we're pumping up faith production, you're right that it will become more of an issue.

OK, then we just have to make sure this remains balanced, considering that certain alignments will likely

I think this is a whole separate conversation (like the Last Battle - this is basically the "how do we choose the wonders" discussion). I think the section I've bolded in counterpoint's post is hugely important. Even if we take all of the 'wonders' that existed in the books but were constructed in the AoL (like the Stone), we still have drastically fewer wonders than base CiV, so I'd be hugely reluctant to sacrifice any of the AoL ones despite the disconnect from flavor. I think we'll already have to include some places/objects that are just "recognizable" to fill out the wonder list, so ideally we'd keep that to a minimum.

Well, I'd say this is something to tackle later then. I think it will take some serious scouring of the source material to fill out the wonders list, so it might be necessary to hold off on decisions about this thing until we know what we need.

The only potential problem I see here is that if we move randomly or even significantly out of the player's control, he might end up deep in Shadow territory, which causes the Light players to start the Last Battle at a potentially big disadvantage. I;m fine with that happening due to deliberate Shadow civ maneuvering (that's good strategy) but based on random chance can be very frustrating for the player.

I am in agreement here, but I do wish there was a way for the Dragon to have some kind of presence before the LB starts and he becomes player-controllable. What if it's just as simple as he visits cities randomly, and effects happen: ta'veren effects as previously described, DFs are exposed, diplomatic stuff. We could flesh this out a bit, but it might add to the immersion, since it's very likely all the world leaders were pretty much thinking "wtf is this kid *doing*?! while he was going in and out of the waste, etc. I don't think he should conquer nations, but maybe somehow pulling some civs lightside somehow would be cool. Ideas?

I think I answered this above, but I say we lift the mechanic from one we discussed when talking about the Dragon - rebasing into foreign cities grants control of the rebased "unit" to the city's owner.

OK. This maybe messes up some of my previous suggestions then. Curious how you want to handle all this.

Same here, I'm not a big fan of the single calendar approach either, but it's worth fleshing out both to see which works better. Farede becomes superior once we get to the end of the game. AB0 doesn't provide us with any mechanism to divide time into smaller chunks than a year. (AB2998 on turn 350, and still AB2998 on turn 351) The months ("Taisham," "Jumara," etc) are part of the Farede calendar. We could use them in conjunction with ABXXXX, but then we've invented that calendar, when there is already one that satisfies what we want. I agree that the AB calendar will tend to be more correct in a given game, but I don't think that's a drawback to the Farede calendar, for the reasons I outlined before.

Sure. I understand your point, though I find the month issue to be rather minor. I don't have much interest in pursuing this avenue further, though, as it seems like neither of us like it anyway.

No, this is where the relationship between time, eras, and tech is really confusing. The Fourth Age represents the progress of technology in the 20 years after the Last Battle. (In-universe, the Fourth Age starts when the Last Battle is won.) This is analogous to the technologies at the end of the tech tree in base CiV that haven't been invented/refined yet (i.e. Nuclear Fusion).

AH! Now I get it. So what do we do for techs, then? Unfortunately, the AoL tech's we know about - Jo-wings, shock-lances, etc. - are likely two eras ahead of what we'd call the fourth age.... It'd kind of be like upgrading from a knight to a modern armor. So... just make stuff up?

We can still compress time on the calendar however we like to make the Last Battle take an "amount of time" (i.e. number of turns) that is appropriate. The disconnect here is related to the whole "eras are individual to civs" aspects from above.

Understood. I'm finding that my knowledge of how time works in Civ was very much lacking.

Woops, very true, I think it was the Aiel clan feud between the Taardad and the Nakai that I mixed this up with. (I read the words Aiel and war and ran with it.)

Sounds like a great idea for a scena-- oh wait, nobody cares about that war...

I think a clear distinction we should make here is that "calendars" and "eras" aren't the same. Colloquial use could use the word "era" to refer to the three primary divisions in the WoT timeline, but we've got a more precisely defined usage of "era" that precludes that colloquial usage.

In a perfectly timed game, the Trolloc Wars would end on exactly turn 50 (number subject to debate) when the calendar changes to FY1. Each civ will be in whatever era it has reached based on tech - those will never all be the same. "World era" isn't directly visible to any player (there's no "It is currently globally the Era of Freedom" anywhere - they only see the effects which we've triggered by tracking "world era" behind the scenes) so there's no immersion break there.

Worry not, the calendars are no longer unified with the eras in my mind. That said, I do think in the hypothetical "perfect game," FY 1 would coincide with the Era of Freedom. In any case, I think ideally the TW's would end around the time that the tech causes the Age of Freedom to start for most civs - to me, this lining up is actually somewhat more important, aesthetically, than FY 1, since the era change is a big window that pops up, with a pretty picture, and some new game mechanics pop up - the calendar is so subtle many people won't even notice when it happens.

I didn't mention it last time, but I really like "Era of Nations" as a name. The combination of time compression and the lack of flavorful era names in the time approximately 700-150 years before the events of the WoT books is problematic, as you've pointed out above. I'm not really sure what we should do here, because I think there are really big issues with both systems. Do you already have a set of eras and corresponding in-universe times in mind? I think working in using the "Era of Nations" into this kind of CiV-like compression could be done if we fudge the timings, but that has a lot of knock-on considerations in our favorite set of competing calendar systems.

Dang, I think we have a miscommunication again, here. I intended Era of Nations to be the 2nd era (after the After Breaking era), to symbolize the Ten Nations - it sounds here like you mean it to be during the new era in this last post (though your previous posts don't imply that). Truthfully, the name makes sense in both places.

The other way of approaching this that wouldn't interfere with the calendars would be to move away from CiV's progressively compressing "time" for eras. We could have the in-universe time that each era maps to (note: not the same as which calendar we are using for any given turn) compress arbitrarily to suit the well-defined times in WoT history. Then for the calendars we just choose turn numbers for the calendar thresholds (Ab -> FY) that roughly correspond to how long it takes to research all of the techs before that "moment in history." (Again, that isn't enforced in game, it's just balanced that it will tend to work out that way.)

I'm also in favor of the Era of Freedom (or whatever we call it eventually - it's the one after the Trolloc Wars) being the third era. So maybe the "flexible" compression is the way to go.

You've hit on it. That is exactly the way to do it, IMO. Well done. Thank god, I was beginning to get frustrated with this problem! The time compression probably shouldn't start until the NE. I'm definitely thinking that if there are 8 eras, we should have 2 fit into the AB calendar (roughly), 2 in the FY, and 3 in the NE, with 1 being for the 4th age.

OK, here's what I'm thinking then. Remember that I am well aware that the calendars don't have to lineup with the eras, but in an ideally paced game, maybe they would.

AB CALENDAR (ca. 1000 years)
1 - After the Breaking (500 years) - maybe this needs a name with "Era" or "Age" in it (this is the Ancient Era Replacement)
2 - Era/Age of Nations (500 years) - probably no change in compression here (this is the classical Era replacement)
Ideally, the Trolloc wars happen towards the end of this era.

FY Calendar (ca. 1000 years)
3 - Era/Age of Freedom (500 years) - probably still no change in compression (this is the medieval era replacement)
4 - Era/Age of Consolidation (500) - this name is still up in the air - still no compression! (this is the renaissance era replacement)
Ideally, some big hawkwing related diplo event/war of 100 years happens towards the end of this era.
NE Calendar (ca. 1000 years)
5 - Era/Age of the New (500 years) - *still* no time compression. Name is nice and generic, and is a nod to the NE callandor..er, calendar. This could also be the Era/Age of the New Nations, and then we could name the 2nd era Era of the Compact, if you want. (this is the industrial age replacement)
6 - Era/Age of Encroaching Blight (500 years) - ha! still no time compression!!... Still hoping for a better name here, though... This is the replacement for the Modern Era
The issue with this era in terms of time compression is that in order to call it "encroaching blight", it has to take us up to Malkier's destruction which... unfortunately, isn't until around 950 NE... Having this thing be 450 years long seems silly.
Here, then, the 3rd age would be like 3020 years long, with the AotD being "Tacked on" at the end, instead of subtracted from a 3000 year total. To me, the time compression doesn't make much sense, since there's basically nothing going on (that we know of until around 50 years ago.
I do think we need a new name for this one though - True, there's malkier, but the stedding swallowed by the blight was happening more in the FY and early NE, not so much around this time.
7 - Era/Age of the Dragon (20 years) - *there's * our compression! Now, I could also understand this one being 50 years long and the dragon being born a set number of turns after it starts. whatever. This is a stand-in for the Atomic Age.
The LB happens after a bit of time here.
8 - Fourth Age (20 years) - time compression as in AotD. This one is stand in for the Information era....

wait, ok, now I'm confused, your previous post had 8 different eras, but it looks to me that we actually need 9.

Ancient - Classical - med - renass - industrial - modern - atomic - info - future

that's nine. I don't want to go back and rewrite what I did, because I realize I may be confusing something. If we do need the extra era, this may make things simpler, and compression begin earlier. Consider this:

NE Calendar (ca. 1000 years)
5 - Era/Age of the New (500 years) - still no compression (industrial)
6 - Era/Age of ??? (300 years) - some compression (modern)
7 - Era/Age of Encroaching Blight (150 years) - more compression - now this name makes sense again, at least moreso (atomic)
8 - Era/Age of the Dragon (30 years) - more compression (info)
9 - Fourth Age (20 years) - slightly more (future)

so where we at?

I think this really depends on how you think about it. I see it as the "world" reaching the FYs, independent of its occupants. The individual civs reach the "Era of Freedom," which is different. Clearly inspired so that, on our part, we're not fabricating as much material, but not actually linked.

Another key thing I've had to realize and really understand is that the world era is essentially invisible to the players, except for a few notifications like the world congress popping up. Essentially it is only a mechanic for us to play with. Worry not, I've got it now. I

I figure the Light civs can see the total going towards a given project, but not the breakdown of who's giving how much? That seems like a fair trade-off without giving away internal information to other civs, while also letting players do focus-managing to optimize for hammers.

sure!

You need to have crazy tourism over them - World Ideology on your side also really helps - it only happens when they get to like -60 happiness.

ooh, maybe i'm about to find out. I'm playing as poland and kind of botching my dom victory.... hit -26 happiness before I started razing some of my old annexes... yikes.

Concert tour-like-thing, I'd say. You'd need to direct it *at* another civ though, because Tourism/Prestige is accrued against each opponent individually.

k. I forgot about this one in my summary. Should this be added in?

Yeah, I'm totally cool with this. Shall we go for @settled?
This is re: taveren. Yes, I like it too.

This sounds good until we have specific thresholds on things and players want to optimize their strategies for them. Then again, it's "invisible" values that manipulate stats that have me playing Pokemon for endless hours. That's not really CiV-y though. I like the flavorful word from an immersion perspective. We can try both approaches here extremely easily though. The number will exist underneath regardless - it's just whether we present it to the player or give them a "range qualifier" in flavored text, which is a very quick swap-out change.

OK, probably we'll need both then, much like the tourism influence words.

Yes, definitely, "Brightness" is kind of ridiculous. Agreed that Alignment works, but is a bit soulless.

Alright! Well let's say Alignment is the tentative name... but we can do better, IMO. I don't like something like "Morality," and "Corruption" sounds all negative. ....

Ah, the science victory. This will be fun. I'll start planning for both too. Might it be worth discussing channeling a bit before expanding on what we've said so far on the diplo victory? Given that they're (certainly?) closely related.

OK, so I'm about halfway through my (apparent) phd Dissertation: "On Channeling: A Systematic Approach to the One Power in a Wheel of Time Modification to Firaxis' 'Sid Meier's Civilization V', by counterpoint, et al. Hopefully I'll have it done within a week.

Always glad to see another fan on here! Thanks for the support! Help with quotes would be great actually, but I don't think we're at that stage quite yet - the techs and wonders are likely to change when we discuss them in the (hopefully near) future. Generally recognizable quotes are always good though - I've done a bit of Googling about this and a lot of the same ones come up when people are asked for favorites (Kneel or be knelt; Fear me, Shadow. Fear me and know; things like that).

And of course ideas on any of the topics we're discussing are always welcome!

Yes, quotes! If you've got it, flaunt it!

Blight: I think prestige is a weird way of pushing back the blight. "Hey look at all these nice paintings I have, pushing back the blight." Maybe if it is an improvement you need to send a worker to fix it (like chopping down a jungle), but it just takes a long time, and being near the blight you need to defend the worker from shadowspawn units spawning. On that note I think it would be good if shadowspawn can appear on any blight tile, even if it is being observed (unlike the barb camps in in base civ). This means that the blight is always dangerous, and you cant just plant some increased sight scouts about to prevent shadowspawn appearing.

Understand what You're saying here. That said, culture *does* effect territory in CiV, whether it makes sense or not. Not tourism, but culture. I don't see a problem with that, since Civ obviously finds it OK.

Brightness: Shine. Luster. Brilliance. Illumination. Luminosity. Lux. Radiance (I think this is beast)

OK, I think you might be thinking too literally. I don't think we want synonyms for brightness. If we wanted to talk about how much light there was, brightness would probably work fine. But that's not what we're talking about - we're talking about "which side are you on, good or evil?" I introduced "Brightness" somewhat sarcastically because we were talking about light and dark, but it doesn't really make any sense - I was being facetious.

Top Bottom