Rushing the Great Library

The thing about MP is that skill level is all over the place. Unless you know the players you're with well you can expect one guy to rush it early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing about MP is that skill level is all over the place. Unless you know the players you're with well you can expect one guy to rush it early.

If that happens its fine, because it's obviously not strong enough to sac expansion rate and growth. I like it as a wonder conceptually, because you have to evaluate where it becomes worthwhile to even consider it. It's kind of like an inverse game of chicken. I just wish the AI played that game better so that it isn't junk stuff in most cases. I suppose I do tend to wind up with it in my possession because I like conquest in this game more than turtling, so I often capture it...for all the good that does.

Personally I think Great Library is the worst decision you can make on MP. My reasoning is as follows:

1. Your acquisition is announced to the world and everyone gangs up on the tech leader
2. You probably had to sacrifice military and growth or expansion to do it so you're behind in other ways. Even if you stole a worker or two you probably gave up early granary or settler. And if you had a lot of wood to chop then there's a possibility you've permanently nerfed the production output of your capital for ages to come unless you had a really nice start with a lot of nearby hills. The worst thing you can do for production is chop all the wood on a grassland start.
3. It's not that good of a wonder. Free tech is nothing at that age. +3 science may look large but is rather trivial. The best thing is the early GS points which lead to a planted academy and more SPT but I personally don't think it's worth making myself a target with universities right around the corner.

You want to be subtle on MP to avoid being ganged up upon and making the GL not only makes you a target but makes you a weakened target for the opportunity cost of building it. With the AI on lower difficulties it can be a nice play though as you have time to build military and grow afterward.

Top Bottom