Rat44 CCM - Ultimate Challenge

Well, the different part came in the beginning, when we were fighting for our lives against the AI's insane expansion and we would probably have lost if the Canadian campaign hadn't been perfectly timed and completely successful. When skilled players have a won position, it's always going to look much the same.

Another way of looking at it is that letting the AI civs build settlers only produces the possibility of a huge runaway civ--not a certainty of it.

Or might the low corruption in CCM keep the AI civs from conquering each other, because even a civ with bad city sites (by C3C standards) can churn out plenty of units to defend itself?

I have done 2 1/2 turns. The most interesting event was a spectacular failure to take a city. With 9 cavalry vs 3 regular infantry defending we got 5 deaths, 1 win and 3 retreats. I don't remember a time when I have had RNG that bad. I think we had 2 more deaths (and more retreats) before the city fell (the 2 defenders healed and more units were there). City was size 14, not on a hill, and no Garrison on either side.

We have too many units for that to stop us however and we have whittled Germany down to 3 smaller cities now. Japan did die when we took out their last city, so overall things are going well.

I stole maps from our next target Poland. It looks like Poland and Scandinavia will be next which will bring us to the next good choke point on our continent. I will likely start on Poland right away. Poland is big and the Vikings are smaller.

I have done 2 1/2 turns. The most interesting event was a spectacular failure to take a city. With 9 cavalry vs 3 regular infantry defending we got 5 deaths, 1 win and 3 retreats. I don't remember a time when I have had RNG that bad.

Daaaaarrrrssskkiiiiiiii!!!!!!

well, it does happen...still one of the more frustrating things . I guess it won't stop us.

By the way, are we going for conquest?

BtW, Guys, did you play a game with completely researched tech tree? In that Moon game something went wrong and you got another type of victory)
Otherwise, there no much difference between conquest and domintation since game is in bag now and no AI looks dangerous.

Great game...what is next? Sid level?)

Sounds good, Greebley. :goodjob:

By the way, are we going for conquest?

I'd assume so. We've done the moon landing and domination is just the cop-out version of conquest. ;)

Preturn: Go ahead and build embassies where I can. Try to steal the maps of some other main players on the continent. Spain and Aztec fail, but our next opponent, Poland, we succeed. They have a decent amount of territory

Builds look decent but NY needs 8 more shields for building cav.

IBT: Lose an isolated sacrificial knight. Some attacks on Leipzig. I think we lost a infantry.
Kept the worker builds because it looks like we still have lots to improve.

1764 AD: Attack on Hamburg goes well with 3 wins to kill the 3 defending rifles.
Start moving toward Konigsburg and Frankfort.
We got a great Artist but after moving toward the above 2 cities so I use it on Cologne to get to Hannover and Mainz faster.
We also send units toward Hannover and Stuttgart.

IBT: No attacks from the German troops other than ship bombardment. They are all going elsewhere.

1766 AD: Capture shimonosheki and Japan is destroyed:

Since there are no resisters I rush an academy to get 10 culture ASAP as we are at risk of flip due to Brittish overlap.
Capture Stuttgart losing 2 Cavalry.
Our attack on Frankfort is ridiculously bad - We get 5 lost Cavalry, 3 Retreats, and 1 Win to kill 1 of 3 Regular Rifles.
We get 4 more losses attacking Hannover, but kill off the 1 Vet and 3 Regular Rifles.
Konigsburg forces advance. Also advance on their garrison.

Send 9 more units toward Frankfort.
I have been improving Hovd to get the Statue of Liberty in 4 instead of 8 turns. This city could be quite strong when it gets +13 food, trade, and shields for its 13 water squares.

IBT: Again no attacks. I am keeping things well defended.

1768 AD: Finally take Franklin, though it is still rough with retreats and 3 losses. There was a random Pike and Longbow in the city this time (and a 2 hp Rifle). Pike killed one of the Cavalry.
Konigsburg on the other hand falls without a loss or retreat.
Mainz our only loss is Cav vs Pike guarding the Garrison.
Get 2 Great Artists and a few new Elite this turn (still no leader though) killing all but the better defended German stacks

We can only go for Nuremburg next turn. The other 2 will wait for using a great artist in Nuremburg

Started setting up attack on Poland by building a required road to take the first city.

IBT: Germans are pretty much gone now other than their boats.

1770 AD: We move on the final 2 cites of Germany. It will take time to get to them.
We have enough units to start on Poland. They are behind in tech needing Colonialism and Musketmen guard their towns. However, they are average in strength to us which is impressive. They may not have been in a war yet. They are a bit ahead in Culture (not 2x)

Declare war on Poland.
Use a Lawyer to take out a garrison that is unguarded in a mountain with no road. We have few units that can get there. Build our own Garrison near our attack point.
Start the war with an attack on Bydgoszcz. First Cavalry begins with a complete loss doing no damage. Capture the town with the loss of one more Cavalry.
We can reach unconnected Koszalin and we take the city without loss (guarded by pikes) and we gain a leader. Rush the Great Palace in Shimoneski, which is the city best able to reduce distance corruption for the rest of the continent.
Also can reach isolated Katowice on the edge of the great desert and capture it. It also has Pikes likely because it has no road to build better.
Lawyer attack gets us Great Artist which I use in Bydgo - um never mind - I rename it Hank. We have one other GA left.
Get another leader killing a Knight. We are building the Great Refinery in Boston (which I boosted to 136 shields with rails) but that is only 3 turns, so no point in using the leader there - So I build the national Exchange in Choybalsan (random internal town that completed build last turn).
The great artist allows us to reach and Capture Olsztyn as well. This is the end as we run out of offensive units.

IBT: Poland units show up. Two attacks on Olsztyn by knights. Poland has lots of Knights but I spot a Cavalry as well.

1772 AD: Looks like using the Great Artist in Olstzyn will allow us to be able to use a speed unit to cover stacks and still reach next turn for at least 2 towns. Since Poland has lots of troops, this is necessary, so I will be using our last Artist.
Upgraded some old units.

Spot a unit image I have not seen before, the Winged Hussar with a 7 attack. Sure enough its a Poland only unit.

Start with Germany:
Capture Bremen losing a Cavalry.
Capture Dresdon without loss and the moment of truth:

Poland:
Kill all nearby units. Set up to attack 4 Polish towns next turn.

Notes:
Not every city has a defender. I tend to borrow sometimes.
Didn't rush buildings so we have lots of cash. I did upgrade some units. Also didn't try to buy world maps or do other spy activities.
Just now realized I haven't tried selling tech the last few turns. Go ahead and check for deals before hitting enter.
I really boosted Boston's to max. We can compete for wonders with this town.
Next turn the long run on statue of liberty will finish. The town is completely built up. I would get any + shield buildings next and the commercial dock + other missing science/commerce buildings. Happiness is currently balanced so it may need more happiness as negative happy buildings are built. It should be a strong town when finished.

I'm not on my Civ computer so I can't look at the save right now, but tremendous progress. :thumbsup:

I would also like to mention it would be good to find towns that are working unimproved tiles. The rail back-bone is in place and I started helping out towns with no growth on unimproved towns, but there is a lot to do. We now have enough workers for both improvements and rails.

I expect Poland will show up with large numbers this IBT or next. That will give us the choice of fighting all the units or going for the towns while defending against big stacks. Not sure which is better. I would try to get the 4 towns first. Also use the Lawyers carefully, we want them all to get Great artists. Our high defense units should be able to hold off the lesser AI units. Not sure how many cavalry and winged hussar we will face. So far the numbers have been small.

Are we still getting a settler every 20 turns? Or did that expire and we got the last settlers ever?

very nice progress :goodjob:

Elephantium is up next.

Presumably we're going to conquer the Vikings after the Poles. If so, we should begin the slow process of rushing up a transport fleet in southern Germany to take the Vikings' three island cities immediately.

By the way, am going to Hongkong this Sunday for 5 days.

Guess that will fit the roster nicely, if everyone is playing for a full week.

Any progress to report, Tusker?

Only 4 turns played :(

Edit: I got a 5th turn played.

Spoiler :

IBT:

Persia wants MPP + RoP. Find another sucker, Xerxes.
Ditto for the Inca.
Spain and Iraq sign peace.
Polish Winged Hussar kills our Cav
Polish Winged Hussar dies on our Rifle
Polish Bombarde dies on our Rifle
Polish Cannon kills our Rifle
Winged Hussar (WH) retreats
WH dies on Rifle
LB kills Rifle
WH kills Rifle and kills a Worker stack.
Cannon dies on Cav
WH retreats

Hank riots.

Turn 1 (1774 AD):

Darkhan is about to riot.

Battle of Lodz:
Hvy Arty kills Pike
Hvy Arty kills rPike
City is ours.

Gdansk:
rCav kills Musketman
vCav kills Musket
City is ours!

Szczeczin:
Cav retreats
Cav kills Musketman
Cav retreats
Cav destroys Musketman
US Cav rides down Arque
US Cav shoots jumbo
US Cav tramples LB and takes the city.

We spend a lot of units taking out a big Polish force around the city. We clear three tiles, but Szcz... will take some heavy hits on the IBT.

IBT:

The British lux deal ends. I renew it for Industrialization and Furs.

Austria-Hungary and Egypt sign MPP.

Polish move a lot of units, but they only kill two wounded Riflemen and a few Cavs, one of which was defending Gdansk. Fortunately, we had several Cavs on garrison duty there.

Russia declares on Korea!
Austria-Hungary declares on Turkey.
Turkey declares on Egypt and Russia.
Inca declares on Carthage.

We live in troubled times.

Turn 2 (1776 AD):

***** Boston and Frankfurt and Washington need attention.

Battle for Posnan:
Lose two e-Cavs killing the Garrison supporting the city.
Lose another three Cavs softening up the defenders
Then we kill three Muskets, a WH, and two arty units before seizing the city. We almost ran out of attackers!

We thin the ranks of Poland's field army, then...

Bialystok:
Cav kills Pike on Garrison
Cav kills Musket behind a Wall
Second cav *barely* kills the second Musket.
Third Cav kills the last Musket and takes the city.

IBT:

Dutch want MPP + RoP. Ha!

Austria-Hungary declares on Korea.
Maya and Babs sign MPP.

We lose a few troops to Polish counterattacks, but it's pretty well in line with what I expected given my aggressive moves.

Explosives > Torpedo

Washington riots :blush: I had pulled some units out to head to the front, and I guess I pulled out one too many... :(

Maya declares on Scandinavia!

Turn 3 (1778 AD):

Missionary kills a redlined Knight and gets a Monk.

While thinning the Polish field army, a Cav gets a Leader! I rush a Railyard in Old Mongolia with his help.

Culture-bomb Bialystok. It doesn't shorten the way to Warsaw as I'd hoped, but it does expose Torun.

Battle for Kielce:
Cav kills Musket
Hussar kills another
Another Cav kills the third and takes the city.

Battle of Torun:
Cav retreats
Cav dies
Cav retreats
Cav dies
Cav barely dies
Cav dies
Cav kills 2/4 Musket!
Two more Cavs kill redlined Muskets and take the city! We sink at least one Frigate in the harbor.

IBT:

We lose a couple of Cavs near Warsaw, but the Polish activity is miniscule.

Turn 4 (1780 AD):

Battle of Warsaw:
Hussar attacks the supporting Garrison and dies after redlining the Arque there.
Two US Cavalry follow the Hussar into the grave :(
The third finally kills the redlined Arque.
Marine Infantry dies to the top Musket
Two Riflemen fall at the city gates as well, but they soften up the defenders.
Three US US Cavs kill three Muskets, easy as pie.
The city is ours!

Battle for Zielona Gora:
Cav barely kills Musketman.
Second Cav finishes off the remaining Musket and takes the city!

We sell Furs and Democracy to Carthage in exchange for 134gpt, 4 gold, and Dyes.

Ottawa for rushing

IBT:

Babs and Indochina sign peace.
Carthage asks for MPP + RoP...
Spain declares on Britain!
France declares on Spain.

Polish units force one Cav to retreat and kill another near their capital.

Turn 5 (1781 AD):

Battle of Gorzow:
Three Cavs die immediately :wallbash:
Fourth Cav kills the first Musketman.
Fifth Cav kills the other and enters the city.

Battle of Krakow:
Hussar retreats
Cav retreats
Cav retreats
Cav retreats, doing 2 damage
Cav narrowly kills Musketman
Cav retreats
Cav dies
Cav kills Musketman
eCav dies
Cav kills another Musketman
Finally, another Cav kills the last Musketman and takes the city!
A Clan is taken in the looting.

There are some troops fortified near the front; one Cav is left unmoved to mark their location. I sent troops towards the next couple of cities for us to attack. Finally, I started on some transports in Old Germany to ship an invasion force to the Viking Islands.

Good work against Poland. :goodjob: A five-turn round is fine at this point.

I can't see why we're researching Torpedo, though--did you let the advisor's default suggestion stand while you were absorbed in the war? In this situation we beeline for Combustion/Hotchkisses, then move to the bottom tech line to pick up Atomic Theory/motorized settlers. Torpedo is so irrelevant to our needs at the moment that we should just accept the three lost turns and switch immediately to Combustion.

CB is up.

The end of the Polish war could be a little slow, due to bad terrain. So as soon as we've taken the four westernmost Polish cities, feel free to launch the Viking war simultaneously with our mopping-up operations in Poland.

I'm going to need a skip. We are heading to Fort Sill, OK, to watch our son graduate from Basic Training later this week and I won't have the time to give this game the attention it deserves.

Top Bottom